Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Photos of Asia Gig - Nov 26, 2005
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos of Asia Gig - Nov 26, 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Photos of Asia Gig - Nov 26, 2005 Reply with quote

Courtesy of Mr. Paul Cornford on the Cornford Forum:

http://www.online-discussion.com/Cornfordamps/viewtopic.php?t=70

Seems like a good size crowd. Glad to see Guthrie getting the exposure to new fans with every gig. Guthrie does get to really play quite a bit on the Asia shows. The acoustic set alone is worth the price of the admission.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Willjay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pics! Cool

Isn`t that where Vai played on his live DVD?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures !!
I was lucky enough to be at all but one of Asia's seven shows last week,attendance was good at all of them and Guthrie was in his usual blinding form Smile

I even managed to get to chat to him a little and ended up having a drink with him,John Payne,Jay Schellen and some friends after the Manchester gig- a wonderful night !!

Tanya
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
Great pictures !!
I was lucky enough to be at all but one of Asia's seven shows last week,attendance was good at all of them and Guthrie was in his usual blinding form Smile

I even managed to get to chat to him a little and ended up having a drink with him,John Payne,Jay Schellen and some friends after the Manchester gig- a wonderful night !!

Tanya

Wow, you saw 6 shows in space of a week? Shocked You must be quite a fan! Smile

Guthrie mentioned that the new drummer Jay Schellen is quite a musician and that Guthrie was quite jazzed because Jay is also a big Zappa fan. It seems Asia has got a real good thing going. It'll be very interesting to see what the next album is going to be like.

So, did any particular show or shows stand out? Does Guthrie play things differently every night or does he more or less stick to the same formula for these shows?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Tanya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Asia are my passion and if I can possibly get to see them I will.They are such a fantastic band especially live -it's always worth the effort it takes to get to them.

Out of the six probably the first at Nuneaton stands out the most.It was the first occassion to see Jay and they played a new instrumental 'The Wizards Sleeves' that John said they'd come up with that week during rehearsals - you'd have liked that,very much in the same style as 'Bad Ass-teroid' and great fun to watch !

Jay is an amazing addition to the band-mutli- talented and a really nice guy.They all spoke enthusiastically about the new album.Guthrie told me that they'd tried to co-write virtually (online) but it didn't really work for him,so hopefully once he gets to L.A in the new year there will still be time for him to be included in the writing.

Guthrie usually sticks to the script with Asia.There are some Asia fans that are very precious about the old tunes being played correctly(I'm not one of them!)The set this time around was quite short ,only an hour,but wonderful.

Tanya
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanya,

Thanks very much for the report. Nice to pick up new tidbits from happenings in Guthrieland.

When you say Jay is multi-talented, what else is he doing besides playing the drums? So this new instrumental called 'The Wizards Sleeves' was collectively written by all of the band members?

Guthrie has stated numerous times that he really enjoys playing with Asia and that it's a challenge for him to figure out what to play within that context instead of being able to really go "out there" with his solo Erotic Cakes and the Fellowship material.

I really enjoyed Asia's show I saw in June and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in the not-too-distant future with Jay on the drums. It seems Asia is on a roll. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

In a recent interview on Asiaworld Jay said that he was trained to play piano and he plays enough guitar and bass to help with composing.

They didn't say who was responsible for writing 'The Wizard's Sleeves' but ,as it's come out of rehearsals,I would imagine they all had a hand in it.

I have to agree that things really do seem to be on the up for Asia.I'm hoping that when the new albums comes out the sales will justify them doing a headlining tour. These package tours are all well and good for getting them known to a wider audience but an hour set is just not long enough !

Tanya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: