Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthries Old PRS
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthries Old PRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Guthries Old PRS Reply with quote

Hi guys, im new here so.... HI!!

I had the plessure of being taught by guthrie back in 2000 at the ACM it was only for one term as I think he had just got the asia gig and had to go of with them, but still what a term it was!
I was a bit shy back then, so I didnt talk to him that much, but most of the time I was just in awar!

I noticed that he does'nt seem to use his prs anymore and it seems hes a devoted suhr man now!

I personally havent played one yet but what i heat there bloody nice guiatrs.

Just wanted to no what state his PRS was in ( im a gear geek!!)
I remember it with his headband at the nut, made me chuckle...

Cheers
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I hear they're still great guitars. I've personally not played one that I've just gone "O yeah!" with, but I never discount them entirely. I like the 25" scale and they're always beautifully made with beautiful woods. Some consider them to be quite versatile guitars. If you're thinking of buying one it would do you well to research which ones are assembly line and which ones are hand made. Also, I think there are ones from before they went big that are considered the best, but even used they have a hefty price tag, compared to their already hefty price tag.

Here's a pretty active community of PRS fans. You should get tons of info, pictures, deals on used PRSi on that site.

Good luck!

Dave
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply dk,

It does look a bit misleading what I wrote, I ment that ive heard that suhr and bloody nice guitars!Very Happy

Im not really a massive PRS fan, I played one a while ago and wasnt mad on the neck, I think cause ive been playing strats for 9 years im more used to them,

Plus i would much rather get a Les Paul than a PRS!

I just wanted some info on Guthries

Cheers again.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie has owned that Tobacco Burst PRS for over 10 years. He got that guitar in the early-90's and it had been his main guitar over all those years until fate intervened and he got to try out that infamous Root Beer Suhr Standard. It seems that his PRS is a stock Custom 24 but with the moon inlays instead of the bird inlays. The top didn't stand out all that much in terms of the figuring, but that's not so important. The only modification he made later, it seems, was replacing that dumb rotary switch with a 3-way toggle and putting in a push-pull tone pot to split the coils of the humbuckers.

I've owned a bunch of PRS's over the years myself, but for whatever reasons I was never able to really bond with them. It's hard to say why. They're really nice guitars and there's certainly nothing negative to say about any of their guitars. I had a Custom 24 and a Custom 22 when I started the Tone Merchants business. Soon, they were both gone after seeing all the Suhr guitars go through. Suhrs just suit me better, personally speaking. I've always been a Strat-style kind of player myself but I was never able to find a Fender I liked during my 10 years working there.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had a PRS about 17 years ago... good description regarding that "dumb" 5 way rotary switch - could never get the hang of it myself. Funny, 'cause it was a pearly-white 24 fret very similiar to the now Dave Navaro model. Aso, it had that funny edge around the body that left a mark on my right arm!

I found that it was quite a heavy instrument and the sound was just a bit too thick for my liking.

Horses for Courses, I guess...

Cheers
M@
dustinw155

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing a PRS custom 24 and I love it. The rotary knobs are a bit of a pain at first... and when I played my Les Paul I always switched my pickups...but since the rotary switch is a little inconvenient I have cut down alot. My only beef with them is that they need to have 10 guage strings on them. If not they won't cut through and sound very weak sounding. I learned that the hardway by playing a bunch of frustrating gigs with 9's. Now that I use 10's I'm simply in love. It would be nice to looking into modifying it to a 3 way switch w/ a push/pull knob now that you mention it. I'll have to check in on that
matejsu

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PRS cu24 too Razz How does Guthrie set-up his guitars before gig? On clinic 2004 (where he has PRS), his guitar stays perfect in tune and he used tremolo alot. Is he using any oil on tremolo? WD-40 ?

How low is his action?

Does he have a guitar tech?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matejsu wrote:
I have a PRS cu24 too Razz How does Guthrie set-up his guitars before gig? On clinic 2004 (where he has PRS), his guitar stays perfect in tune and he used tremolo alot. Is he using any oil on tremolo? WD-40 ?

How low is his action?

Does he have a guitar tech?

Guthrie pretty much does all of his own set-up work. When I looked over his PRS at the clinic on Jan 24, '04, the action was on the medium-high side from what I can remember. He changed the strings just before the clinic and I didn't see him putting on any oil or anything like that.

Guthrie still has his PRS as it's an "old friend" (his words) that he's had for over 10 years, but he has been playing his Suhrs exclusively over the past 2 years. I'm sure he's looking forward to the set-neck 24.75" scale single-cut Suhr that'll become available in the not-too-distant future.

Guthrie loves the factory set-ups of his Suhrs. He's addicted to the Buzz Feiten Tuning System and the Plek fret job. I picked up his Cherry SB Mahogany Suhr once: the action was ridiculously low on that one. He was raving about how it didn't buzz despite him keep lowering the action to see how low he could go on it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
boosted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do guys know what pickups did he use on his prs guitar? Very Happy thanks in advance Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boosted wrote:
do guys know what pickups did he use on his prs guitar? Very Happy thanks in advance Very Happy

They're stock pickups so I assume it's the HFS in the bridge and the Vintage Bass in the neck.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I'm sure he's looking forward to the set-neck 24.75" scale single-cut Suhr that'll become available in the not-too-distant future.

Whatever happened to that?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I'm sure he's looking forward to the set-neck 24.75" scale single-cut Suhr that'll become available in the not-too-distant future.

Whatever happened to that?

We're so busy with what we have now as well as John trying to get the new amps finished, so the set-neck has been pushed out to middle of 2007.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any pics of his PRS

Is it nicely beat up or has he always taken care of it!
eduardo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not have any pic of old GG's PRS, but i can show you some pics of mine: http://picasaweb.google.com/solohead50/PRSCustom24. Btw, it´s brand new and it´s for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
M@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing my PRS recently (which I bought on a whim about a year ago), simply because I'm waiting on some new Sperzel tuners for my Suhr Standard.

All I can say is, I can't wait until my Suhr Standard is back in action (thanks to Ed for your help with this over the last few weeks).

My PRS is so damn heavy. I was in Japan recently and picked up the 3 way toggle / tone push/pull converter for my PRS, so once I can find where to buy a damn soldering iron here in Hong Kong I'm gonna swap out that bloody rotary 5 way switch!

Smile

Cheers
M@
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: