Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Jan 06 Guitar Techniques - Guthrie video!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jan 06 Guitar Techniques - Guthrie video!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Jan 06 Guitar Techniques - Guthrie video! Reply with quote

Hello. Just to alert you, the Jan 06 issue of Guitar Techniques comes with a DVD featuring video lessons where the regular columnists demonstrate their favourite licks including Guthrie and Dave Kilminster Very Happy

There is also an in depth Paul Gilbert lesson, and clips of Mike Stern and Gary Moore amongst others.

Cheers,
Alun
Ballit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have that issue and can only say that not to my surprise i found Guthries licks to be by far most interresting. It´s funny to observe how close he always stays to the "fun" things of the guitar, like tapping some crazy diminished licks extremely fast just to make people go Surprised and guitarists go Shocked .

A considerable amount of humour in music is the way to go Very Happy Also while we´re on the Guitar Tecniques subject, in the winter 2005 issue he copyed the styles of apparently the 25 guitarists with the best style. Everything from Steve Vai and Yngvie to Mark Knopfler and Albert Lee and mixed it down into one song. Needless to say it´s incredible so check it out if you haven´t already.
James W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it.

Very Happy

I think it is a new high for GT.

Guthrie is great obviously. Wink
Alun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scariest thing was the fact that he does the entire section on a clean Strat Shocked No distortion or effects to hide behind.

Alun
James W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know.

No offense to Jamie Humphries but Guthrie just made him seem average. Smile
Alun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched his bit yet. I didn't have a lot of time so just flicked through Guthrie's, Dave K's and Paul Gilbert's. The licks looked intersting in the mag though so will watch it soon.

Alun
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
No offense to Jamie Humphries but Guthrie just made him seem average. Smile

Harsh comparison. Guthrie really admires Jamie, more often than not when I get to talk to him, the first thing he mentions is who Jamie has been playing with and he seems to have a lot of respect for Jamie's ability to reproduce other players stuff.

My teacher of years gone by was big on the zen side of playing. Less is more, no wrong notes.. but by far the biggest lesson was: You can learn something from any guitarist, and the biggest step to that is appreciating a guitarist in their own light.

Jamie does crisp and precise without sounding cold and calculating.. if I ever want to be shamed into consolidating my ability at a particular technique I'll pick up a Humphries lesson... the playing is extremely focussed and polished. It struck me about the San Fran G3 DVD that Satriani was more polished and expressive than on previous performances, almost Carltonesque in the range of dynamics in playing a note.

I've not watched the DVD yet.. to be honest I was too busy looking for the reference to me Embarassed but apparently that's the winter edition.. so I've got to get a back issue in order to sate my curiousity/ego Laughing

But what a cracking issue the January one is. Jeff Buckley's version of Halleluja.. the Paul Gilbert section. Pete Callard, Martin Taylor; it's a doozie.

I have the power!
James W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In retrospect that was kinda harsh.

Jamie did say he'd barely had time to prepare and such. I suppose since Guthrie's was on a clean tone I was more impressed by it.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
In retrospect that was kinda harsh.

Jamie did say he'd barely had time to prepare and such. I suppose since Guthrie's was on a clean tone I was more impressed by it.

Fairs fair. compared to the roasting soMe guitArists get here-aBouts Wink it was pretty balanced.

I have the power!
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great issue of GT! There's enough material to work on for months. Guthrie's first lick cracked me up. After the first part, I was thinking "Yeah, sure, I can do that..." and then he adds "but that's not the whole lick" and layers on the taps up a m6. Totally cool.

Something that struck me about almost all the licks (all players) was how angular they were -- very few predictable sequences. These guys that write for GT are so good, but hardly anyone in the states knows of them. Pity...
Bert
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is majorly inspirational. I kinda like all of them I reckon the Lee Hodgson is my immediate goal..

I think it was brilliant Smile

A lot of chat about what's going on, it seems to be the key or me

I have the power!
j.s.bark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy of GT yesterday and I must say that I was very impressed with the ability some of those guys have. Its an invaluable thing being able to see them playing and to be honest its totally different compared to the audio only stuff. I could tell that Jamie was having a rough day but that didn't matter at all. On the first lick of his the 2nd time he plays it the last note that he pinches sounded superb. Great vibrato.
What can you say about Guthrie? Its just inspirational to see him do his thing. He just has the most amazing control over the instrument, but I guess that's already been said many times over here.......... Laughing
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whys everyone having ago at poor old Jamie, I thought he was wicked, fair enough he said himself it was all a bit rushed, but I wouldnt mind playing like that when I rush through stuff.

As for guthries clips.... wow is all you can say.

Dave K's clips make me laugh, he looked liked he so couldnt be bothered but they were great!!
drummondrs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true. Dave K looked like he didn't want to be there. And yes Guthrie's were awesome. I love the 14 - 16 - 21 legato one. Sounds seriously cool.
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure and leave feedback on the site for there's a competition to win a week at the IGF Summer school in Bath (last year saw lessons from Paul Gilbert) I couldn't go Sad

http://survey.futurenet.com/guitardvd

If you want to fill it in

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: