Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guitar modding and stuff.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar modding and stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Guitar modding and stuff. Reply with quote

Ho hum, it appears I've reached my marital capacity of guitars Sad

So I'm tinkering with the idea of expanding the range of my existing guitars.

With the RG470, I'm toying with fitting push-pull pots in it, so I can toggle phase and coil taps.

With the Strat, I'm looking at replacing the bridge pickup with a tele pickup .. does anyone know if a tele pickup will fit in a 2k strat body? Also I was thinking of putting a ghost piezo system in it. Also I liked the varitone so I'm not so seriously looking at replacing the 2nd tone knob with a varitone and wiring the bridge pickup back into the tone control. Also I'm toying with moving the strap knob from the upper horn to one of the screws that connects the neck to the body.

With the 335 alike I'm looking at putting a varitone in it, but frankly I think it'll mar the looks.

Part of me has toyed with putting the varitone in an enclosure and getting some clips so I can put it on the guitar strap so I cna use it with all the instruments.. but I remember scornfully laughing at Crowded house when they did something similar Embarassed

It seems really perverse that the guitar that'll get the most modding is already the most versatile and the one with the least external change will be the RG which is meant to resemble the cockpit of a tie fighter anyway Laughing and the one with the most telling external change will be the 335 taking a traditional mod Sad

Anyone got any opinions on all this?

I have the power!
dave...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been getting into guitar modding and building acutally. My opinion, for what it's worth, (little) is that not much can go wrong circuit-wise (except on the semi 335) because guitar circuits are so damn simple and easy to undo if you get it wrong. The results can often be fantastic as well.

As for cosmetic damage, and this is contentious, but presumably if you are a professional you bought a guitar to do a job, not to look nice. If installing something makes it fulfil its musical purpose better, then should looks be a deciding factor?

then again i've never spent £2000 on a guitar Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ESP Mirage Custom went from this

to this

I stripped it by hand, stained it, reworked the standard strat pick guard and had to route a hole for the pickup switch. The hand print is my 4year old daughters (she looked at me like I was crazy when I painted the palm of her hand and pressed it onto the guitar Shocked)
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent workmanship. Were you always planning to strip it back to wood or was it a surprise to find a nice wood pattern underneath?

My problem is that I lack the time to do this stuff and the space to set aside as a workshop. I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that I can't be doing with modding as it causes too much tension at home.. as does buying new kit, but hey.. waddaya do?

After I've housed the varitone and the A/B switch, finished the mooger fooger .. that's it for me.. the rest goes to shops.

I have the power!
RobertH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
That's excellent workmanship. Were you always planning to strip it back to wood or was it a surprise to find a nice wood pattern underneath?

My problem is that I lack the time to do this stuff and the space to set aside as a workshop. I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that I can't be doing with modding as it causes too much tension at home.. as does buying new kit, but hey.. waddaya do?

After I've housed the varitone and the A/B switch, finished the mooger fooger .. that's it for me.. the rest goes to shops.

Over the years this guitar has gotten the occassional ding and scratch and I had just gotten bored with the look of the solid color finish, so a couple years ago I decided to strip it and see what was under all that poly. Thankfully the wood underneth was nice and all total (if you add up the actual hours working on the guitar and not waiting for parts) was about six hours of stripping,sanding and staining, an hour for the pickguard, the tuners just dropped in, route for the new pickup switch about 15 minutes and roughly twenty minutes to throw it all together and get strings on it.

I did most of this work in a space roughly 5'x4' out on my deck and all the clean stuff inside my house, so I didn't need too much room, but it would have definately made things alittle easier.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say Robert, that looks like a great project and from those pics you certainly nailed a decent look.
RobertH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
I must say Robert, that looks like a great project and from those pics you certainly nailed a decent look.

Thanks, it was definately a labor of love with that guitar (I was covered in pink dust for hours trying to strip all that red poly off the body) Laughing .

-Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: