Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - What's Next??
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Next??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gingi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: What's Next?? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just found this on ASIA’s official site:

Quote:
Further to recent announcements on johnwetton.com , stevehowe.com and geoffdownes.com, "Architect of Time" has been shelved and related tour dates suspended. John Payne, Guthrie Govan and Jay Schellen will announce their future plans shortly.

& this on stevehowe.com:

Quote:
In conjunction with Asia's 25th anniversary the four original members--Steve, Geoff Downes, Carl Palmer, and John Wetton--plan on celebrating the 25th anniversary of the creation of Asia with a CD, DVD, and world tour.

The original members wish to convey their heartfelt thanks for the global support, love and enthusiasm that has made this possible. Stay tuned for updates.

I wonder what’s next for Guthrie and sincerely hope his next venture, together with the release of his long awaited album, brings the recognition he truly deserves!

Gingi
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is quite a turn of events. I don't know what to say. On the surface of things, it seems Guthrie, John Payne, and Jay Schellen got the shaft, but I don't know the details yet. I only say this because I know how enthusiastic Guthrie and John Payne (I haven't met Jay yet) were about Asia and how they were really working on taking the band's direction somewhere fresh and into new artistic and sonic territories as full-time members of this band. But in the end, it's all about the almighty dollar, I guess...

My true thoughts have always been that Guthrie is just way, way too good for Asia. I think it really sucks the way this has played out, but perhaps this is a blessing in disguise because it'd free Guthrie to be the true artist that he is and be the best that he can possibly be as a guitarist, composer, musician, and artist. I haven't spoken to Guthrie yet about any of this, but it's easy to see what's going on. Asia had been growing through the contributions of John Payne (a super nice guy and a truly dedicated all-around musician) and Guthrie's stellar contributions more recently, and for the old has-been members to appear now and try to cash in on the "25th Anniversary" thing is...Rolling Eyes Well, I won't say anymore.

Guthrie will be just fine. His future is as bright as a supernova on his own. Let's face it: 99.8% of the members on this forum couldn't have cared less about Asia, although we all wished whatever was best for Guthrie, yours truly included. I was really hoping Guthrie could add something significant to Asia and take the band into something that had balls and a backbone. But that wasn't meant to be. Well, as I said, Guthrie will be fine as the buzz on him as an upcoming solo artist is greater than Asia anyway. Let's just wish the best for Guthrie. As I said, this just may be a blessing in disguise! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
As a long time Asia fan I have watched the various antics of all the past members- I have to agree with you that this reunion will try to muscle in on the good will created during John Payne's time with Asia.
Asia fans are in for a shock if they think that the closeness that we have had with the band will continue with the original members -I can't imagine either Howe or Palmer mixing with the little people!

I'm also gutted that 'Architect of Time' has been shelved.Guthrie ,John and Jay all spoke very enthusiastically about it when I saw them in November.

I think you are right about Guthrie - we Asia fans only saw a fraction of the man's talent ,but rest assured what we did see has left us all spellbound !!

Dave Gallant has said that an announcement will be made shortly about the future of Guthrie,Jay and John.

Whatever they decide to do there are many Asia fans that will support them me included Smile

Tanya
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
Ed,
As a long time Asia fan I have watched the various antics of all the past members- I have to agree with you that this reunion will try to muscle in on the good will created during John Payne's time with Asia.
Asia fans are in for a shock if they think that the closeness that we have had with the band will continue with the original members -I can't imagine either Howe or Palmer mixing with the little people!

I'm also gutted that 'Architect of Time' has been shelved.Guthrie ,John and Jay all spoke very enthusiastically about it when I saw them in November.

I think you are right about Guthrie - we Asia fans only saw a fraction of the man's talent ,but rest assured what we did see has left us all spellbound !!

Dave Gallant has said that an announcement will be made shortly about the future of Guthrie,Jay and John.

Whatever they decide to do there are many Asia fans that will support them me included Smile

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your post. It's nice to get the perspective of a long-time Asia fan on this matter. I apologize if I came across as debunking Asia in favor of Guthrie, but I'm rather disturbed about all of this because I only met with Guthrie less than 2 weeks ago at NAMM and he was psyched about the recording of the new Asia album and how being in Asia has become a fun and exciting development in his career. I was telling him that I was so happy for him and that I am really looking forward to the new album. Then, this...

But you know, the person I feel the worst about is John, not Guthrie. He was the passion behind the current Asia. It was really his life. Guthrie has so many other things going on and his solo career is just getting ready to take off, so as bad and weird all of this is, he's got a whole lot to fall on just on his own. But what about John? What's he going to do now? John was the driving force behind Asia, not Geoff. John expends all his passion and effort into taking Asia to where they are now and the old lame forgotten worn-out has-been members show up now, saying, "Hey, we're the original members of this band. We want a piece of that pie." You couldn't frickin' pay me to see this reunion. Steve Howe? The guy had his heydays in the 70's with Yes, but what has he done since?. Guthrie is now a clearly superior player now. Palmer and Wetton? Have we heard anything from these guys since they left (or were fired) from Asia? I still think Palmer is a great drummer, but what's he up to?

I don't mean to be mean or vindictive, but this just plain SUCKS! Perhaps I feel this strongly because I'm good friends with Guthrie and I also came to know John very well. Sorry for my ranting, but Guthrie and John (as well as Jay) just deserved much better than this. And what's with the timing of all this??? Well, I'll stop before I start cursing about these other guys who once I respected and was a fan of. My best goes out to Guthrie but, most of all, to John. As I said, Guthrie will be just fine. No more to say since anymore would include expletives...

Thanks, Tanya... Best wishes... I really appreciate your support on this matter...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ED,
I'm with you all the way on this!
I've had the pleasure of meeting John on many occasions and firmly believed in him and what he was doing with Asia.You're right about him being the driving force behind the band - Geoff's in for a shock too ,who's going to keep the homefires burning while he's off doing all the other stuff he does.
This is without doubt the beginning of the end of the band that has been my passion for the last 25 years -I can't say I'm not a fan and I won't go to see them again but what I can say is that my belief in them has diminished markedly since this announcement and I don't know if it'll ever come back.
I have no respect whatsoever for Wetton,Howe and Palmer and my respect for Geoff is at rock bottom at the moment -this is such a betrayal !

Ok,now I've got to stop- I'm too much of a lady to say what I'm really thinking and feeling at this moment.

John will/must continue ,he's far too talented to stop and Guthrie -well I hope to see him again.Maybe I'll go to the Bassment or he does a Sunday lunch thing at one of the pubs near me some times ,I'll go there and witness his 'loud jazz' for myself Smile

Incidentally,if you ever get a chance to talk to Jay -do,he's lovely !

Tanya
Gingi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you guys, saying that, I was looking forward to “Architect Of Time”, Jay was a great addition to the band and the gig I saw at “The Astoria” was like listening to a totally different band. Guthrie’s solo on “Silent Nation” was mind blowing and I firmly believe jay inspired Guthrie and his playing with ASIA went to another level.

Oh well, as ED said, this could be a blessing in disguise, I just hope that Guthrie’s next venture isn’t too long coming and allows him to reach a large discerning audience who will appreciate his talent, musicality, humour and humility.

Gingi
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gingi,
I was at the Astoria and most of the other shows that week - it was by far the best show and I felt very happy and confident that Asia would only go from strength to strength building on the success of Silent Nation.Jay is an amazing drummer and a really nice guy!

Guthrie will do amazing things outside the confines of Asia - as all the other chaps on this board will agree.

Tanya
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez! This has happened so quick. I know Guth from the Bassment. His girlfriend Nattery(Natalie) has not been at the Bassment for the last couple of gigs. She did speak of a live album being cut last time we saw her. Could it be in place of 'Architect of time'. Just wondering if she's flown out to be with Guthrie at this time. She's very good in supporting the boys while Guthries away.
Spoke to Dave K, Pete, Zak and Seth(Guths brother) on Thursday and all seemed well, even said that Guth was sleeping on a couch at John Paynes apartment!
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hell broke loose on Wednesday !!
I'd just booked a flight to Germany to see Asia at the 'Rock of Ages' festival in July when I received an email from their webmaster to expect the worst.

I think the speed of this has taken everyone by surprise!

All we Asia fans are doing now is waiting for an announcement from John P,Guthrie and Jay.

It's a nightmare !

Tanya
RD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Let's face it: 99.8% of the members on this forum couldn't have cared less about Asia

Exactly! And I'm one of them.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm over the initial shock and don't really care too much about how this unfolds. I was browsing around the Asia Forum for more insight for about 10 minutes and decided, "You know, whatever..." All I care about is that Guthrie didn't get stiffed in a bad way and that they (the remaining members) carry on with their music careers.

Yes, what next? I'm sure we'll be hearing about it soon enough and whatever it is, knowing that it's Guthrie, I'm sure it'll be exciting.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing stays the same for ever, we all make changes and move on.

Can't wait for next Thursday at the Bassment for the next instalment!
pimmel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurrra...

finally guthrie will have the time to produce his solo-album !

cant wait ....
RD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmel wrote:
hurrra...

finally guthrie will have the time to produce his solo-album !

cant wait ....

No, because Guthrie isn't doing his own production; that was already out of his hands and so this Asia-thing isn't going to speed up that album release as I understand it.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a book of rock familly trees, and this could just mean that the guys pickup, get a better name and set off on that ship for countries new and uncharted. Seems to be a pattern when you look at the history.

I used to be in a Judas Priest tribute band and I thought it sucked how quickly they dropped Timmy for Rob Halford, it was borderline userous. Tim was better than Rob.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: