Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - where is Guthrie from?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where is Guthrie from?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: where is Guthrie from? Reply with quote

Is he from the UK if so where and what town?
Javi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to answer to this person? come on Laughing Wink
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Guthrie's from Chelmsford in Essex ...,not sure if that's where he was born though !

Tanya
steer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: RE where is Guthrie from? Reply with quote

Ok so he's from Essex his names got very Scottish conections so I wonder if there is one???????????
Tanya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,there's a connection.According to an interview with Guthrie in Dave Gallant's excellent Asia biography - The Heat Goes On ,his Dad was from Glasgow.

Tanya
steer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Ah so his Dad was from Glasgow. Reply with quote

Any more info. on what his roots are eg born England or brought to England or moved there when and his maternal nationality what back ground?
I have to say he has one of the distinct advantages most good guitar players have ie very long fingers but from the little I saw of him in the Tone Merchants vids I didn't like his music there too much "guitar gymnsastics" but I dare say he can do much more in the right musical settings.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ah so his Dad was from Glasgow. Reply with quote

steer wrote:

I have to say he has one of the distinct advantages most good guitar players have ie very long fingers but from the little I saw of him in the Tone Merchants vids I didn't like his music there too much "guitar gymnsastics" but I dare say he can do much more in the right musical settings.

I really don't think long fingers are a distinct advantage of being a good guitar player. I mean, Shawn Lane blows that perception right out of the water and I've seen many amazing players with short stubby fingers.

Those TM vids are just snippets. If you see the whole songs, you'll find that the over-the-top playing fits well within the context of the music. And he has improved a lot over the past 2~3 years and is still improving on a daily basis, I'm sure.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
steer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: I would be interested to see that ED Reply with quote

I would be interested to see that ED it being I have not the longest fingers my self so where might I find some footage of Shawn Lane?
dto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I would be interested to see that ED Reply with quote

steer wrote:
I would be interested to see that ED it being I have not the longest fingers my self so where might I find some footage of Shawn Lane?

There's a few things that pop up from a Google Video search.

There's also a couple of downloadable webcasts from abstractlogix.com:

http://www.abstractlogix.com/features_view.php?idno=23
http://www.abstractlogix.com/features_view.php?idno=24
James W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long fingers don't really help... I have fairly average/small fingers and I can still do large stretches... I can stretch anything Guthrie or Shawn does/did (albeit obviously not as fast!) ... it's comparable to playing football (or 'soccer') when jumping up to head the ball, though someone taller may have an advantage, for the most part it is the power of the jump which is the most important... thus flexibility and strength of fingers is more important.

I mean, look at Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert... both have very long fingers, but Shawn Lane's stuff uses bigger stretches and more awkward fingerings etc.
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Guthrie's genetic make up, to "do big hands make it?", to "it's all Stunt Guitar" in one thread Laughing

I think I need to sit down for a while, I thought I was reading the Total Guitar forum for a minute Wink

I have the power!
steer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Where's Guthrie from and big hands Reply with quote

Thanks DTO for the links, immensely good as to Frankus of Arachnipus do come back and say some thing after you have had your sit down!!!
dto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's Guthrie from and big hands Reply with quote

steer wrote:
Thanks DTO for the links

Actually, steer, I just stumbled into the Open Discussion section and found this thread where Willjay has uploaded a ton of Shawn Lane vids. I haven't checked it out yet, but I will this evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: