Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Inside or Outside or In Between?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inside or Outside or In Between?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Inside or Outside or In Between? Reply with quote

I read a lot of things people say about Guthrie on forums besides this one and one respected jazz player commented that Guthrie is essentially an "inside" player. I thought that was an interesting comment. I thought about it some more and I do think there's some truth to it, even when Guthrie plays jazz or some more progressive "out there" or "forbidden" kind of stuff. Personally, I find that "inside" type of playing (or note choices) one of the reasons why I find Guthrie so listenable. I guess I am more of a rock guitar fan than a jazz or avant-garde guitar fan.

I love jazz and I'll, at times, get into pretty weird outside stuff every now and then, but most of the time, I want to hear consonance, not dissonance. The thing about Guthrie is that he can still get out just enough to not sound diatonic and more adventurous in his note choices but still sound like he's in. Even when Guthrie plays some really wacky stuff, he somehow still manages to sound "in". It's another distinctive trait of Guthrie's that naturally appeals to my listening sensibilities. Other faves of mine who seems to have this type of character in their note choices are Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Mike Landau, Greg Howe (although his last album 'Extraction' veers much more towards outside), Brett Garsed, amongst many others.

Guys who strike me as more "outside" are John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Buckethead, Scott Henderson, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Wayne Krantz, Steve Tibbetts, amongst many others. Surely, both groups of names I mention can easily transition to the other, including Guthrie. But I'm talking more about their dominant "tonality", so to speak. It does seem that "outside" guys tend to get more "respect" because it's perceived as more advanced and perhaps it is. I know that I prefer something like a 60~70/30~40 mix - inside to outside. Any thoughts?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a very good point, Ed. I agree totally with you and I share the same feeling about Guthrie’s playing. It is an Inside-Outside guitarist. He seems to know when is the right time to trespass the boundaries between these two musical perceptions and combine them in a very clever formula to satisfy the most advantage listener and the most ignorant dumb. Wink
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a question of "playing outside" as much as it is a question of whether or not to have a lot of harmonic movement/control in your soloing? The guitarists you mentioned as being outside really aren't outside like Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, or the Bahia/Ohm/Ascension Coltrane were. Scott Henderson, John McLaughlin and John Scofield primarily (I don't know WK or Steve Tibbets) are pretty tonal, they just have a lot of harmonic movement in their playing.

I've heard Guthrie referred to as being diatonic too. And I've heard him lumped into the category of pattern players (which is where I believe Buckethead falls too). Pattern playing can be outside a lot, but isn't really quite the same as "playing outside" from an improvisational stance. Or at least, it's not playing outside and doing it with full knowledge that you want to use an altered dominant sound. It's like the patterns just happen to fall on altered dom. tonalities by mistake (sometimes in a cool way, sometimes in a bad, mechanical way).

I personally think, and this is just my opinion, that playing diatonically --during most of your solos-- shows some level of either harmonic immaturity or, if you're doing it on purpose, some level of being brain dead (The Kenny G factor). The same goes for pattern playing. I'm impressed if someone can cleanly play some ungodly amount of notes in the space of a single beat, but not impressed enough to listen to it over and over again because it's not music, it's patterns. It's athleticism (and I guess I'm just not a big sports fan, ultimately).

I think it takes a lot of great rhythmic control and skill with phrasing to pull off playing outside in a cool way. I think that's why guys like Scott Henderson and John Scofield get a lot of respect. They're almost more about feel and phrasing than just about anything else....and they've spent more time on that than chops -- which is why I think a lot of shred fans don't really "get" where they're coming from (because feel and phrasing are sometimes very subtle). Maybe I'm selling them short though, have you seen their videos (esp. SH's) about what scales to use over which chords? These guys know harmony inside and out. And shit, Sco played with Miles, who played with Bird and Trane for years. If Miles heard something in his playing, it probably wasn't just patterns. Wink

But maybe it's just me. My ears are happiest when a line or a phrase sounds like it's a mini-composition in itself with tension and release that stands on its own. When I hear someone play more than two measures of one single tonality (even it it's full of 128th notes), my mind starts to get bored.
James W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play so much outside it doesn't sound like 'outside' any more... this is made explicit when Arnold Shonburg (I know that's spelt incorrectly!) talked about 'the emancipation of dissonance' with his 12 tone technique... in other words, eventually the listener is going to aclimatise themself to whatever the person is playing; even the most dissonant things can end up sounding palatable. So I think Guthrie could make it sound more 'outside' if he does it scantily... also, if the harmonies he's playing over are very non-diatonic then copious amounts of outsidism isn't really necessary.

Last edited by James W on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Javi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
If you play so much outside it doesn't sound like 'outside' any more... this is made explicit when Arnold Shonburg (I know that's spelt incorrectly!) talked about 'the emancipation of dissonance' with his 12 tone technique... in other words, eventually the listener is going to aclimatise themself to whatever the person is playing; even the most dissonant things can end up sounding palatable. So I think Guthrie could make it sound more 'outside' if he does it scantily... also, if the harmonies he's playing over are very non-diatonic then copious amounst of outsidism isn't really necessary.

It is truth the worst of the guitarists (me, for example Sad ) might play something ugly and stupid and you hear it many times over a long period of time and you end up liking it!! It has happened to me with my own home recordings. I know many times they are rubbish, but when I come back to them I find something valuable despite they still are rubbish… If you get use to any noise or ridiculous headless composition you find a mysterious magical equation that your brain processes and with time you find something not so ugly and ridiculous in it… I work in a Pathology Lab and I notice when the analysers and other machines are making those, now for me, habitual noises I feel better. It is like the baby who sleeps while the washing machine is on… If the machine stops, the baby wakes up and cries... Confused
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a reread of Guthrie's comments on playing outside, here:

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=38

I think as he says there are numerous methods, I reckon he knows and has internalised those methods.. they do crop up in performances at the Bassment where it's a friendly audience and they're at ease to experiment.

I would say they're used a fair bit especially with the Mooger Fooger, it might sound atonal but it's hard to tell what is really being played, it could be quite pleasant Wink

I think the "jazz notes" come out to shepherd the band along or make an amusing statement to his fellow performers.. just my opinion mind

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
Is this a question of "playing outside" as much as it is a question of whether or not to have a lot of harmonic movement/control in your soloing? The guitarists you mentioned as being outside really aren't outside like Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, or the Bahia/Ohm/Ascension Coltrane were. Scott Henderson, John McLaughlin and John Scofield primarily (I don't know WK or Steve Tibbets) are pretty tonal, they just have a lot of harmonic movement in their playing.

I've heard Guthrie referred to as being diatonic too. And I've heard him lumped into the category of pattern players (which is where I believe Buckethead falls too). Pattern playing can be outside a lot, but isn't really quite the same as "playing outside" from an improvisational stance. Or at least, it's not playing outside and doing it with full knowledge that you want to use an altered dominant sound. It's like the patterns just happen to fall on altered dom. tonalities by mistake (sometimes in a cool way, sometimes in a bad, mechanical way).

I personally think, and this is just my opinion, that playing diatonically --during most of your solos-- shows some level of either harmonic immaturity or, if you're doing it on purpose, some level of being brain dead (The Kenny G factor). The same goes for pattern playing. I'm impressed if someone can cleanly play some ungodly amount of notes in the space of a single beat, but not impressed enough to listen to it over and over again because it's not music, it's patterns. It's athleticism (and I guess I'm just not a big sports fan, ultimately).

I think it takes a lot of great rhythmic control and skill with phrasing to pull off playing outside in a cool way. I think that's why guys like Scott Henderson and John Scofield get a lot of respect. They're almost more about feel and phrasing than just about anything else....and they've spent more time on that than chops -- which is why I think a lot of shred fans don't really "get" where they're coming from (because feel and phrasing are sometimes very subtle). Maybe I'm selling them short though, have you seen their videos (esp. SH's) about what scales to use over which chords? These guys know harmony inside and out. And shit, Sco played with Miles, who played with Bird and Trane for years. If Miles heard something in his playing, it probably wasn't just patterns. Wink

But maybe it's just me. My ears are happiest when a line or a phrase sounds like it's a mini-composition in itself with tension and release that stands on its own. When I hear someone play more than two measures of one single tonality (even it it's full of 128th notes), my mind starts to get bored.

I'm not describing it from a theoretical/technical aspects of things, just how the average listener (although fairly experienced with sophisticated tastes) will perceive as the solos being inside or outside. I guess in one sense, "outside" may be viewed as having a lot of chromaticism although I think that's an oversimplification. And I agree purely diatonic ways of soloing gets really boring as well (great majority of shred-based instrumental soloing).

I know what you mean about "pure outside" type of playing. I've got Ornette Coleman's early-60's records (including 'Free Jazz') and Eric Dolphy's 'Out to Lunch' (an all-time fave) and also enjoy Metheny's work with Coleman, 'Song X', from time to time. I guess that kind of stuff can be considered waaaaaay outside. I guess I'm talking about it more from a harmonic perspective when it comes to soloing and improvisation. I agree with what you're saying. I certainly wouldn't say Scott is as outside as Dolphy or Don Cherry was and it's certainly debatable about the merits of going so outside for the sake of doing so.

Someone asked what Scott would play over D Minor. His reply: "Anything but D Minor". Laughing That's cool. I've talked with Scott about music in general and for him, it's all about finding and playing the hip lines that don't sound so "centered". Metheny describes it all the time as well in his interviews. I don't think it's so much about going outside for the sake of doing so but of finding new things to play over familiar changes and progressions. Scott certainly has a disdain for things that sound diatonic. He makes absolutely no secret of that.

I think it's a matter of the mix between inside/outside that appeals to certain people. To me, a typical neoclassical shredder has like a 90~95/5~10 mix and I'll get bored of him in 5~10 minutes. But I may find that someone with a 30/70 mix with complex harmonic movements is difficult to follow after 15~20 minutes. It's not to say I don't like it; it's just an awful lot of information to absorb and process and understand the statement the soloist is making. And sometimes, you just miss it and end up going, "Geez, I don't get it." Embarassed Some players require a lot of concentration and effort on the listener's part - which is cool at times. It's all good; it's a matter of what kind of style and "mix" holds your attention for extended periods of time.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Eisenbach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Someone asked what Scott would play over D Minor. His reply: "Anything but D Minor".

Haha, that's funny and very true as far as how he'd approach it.

As far as patterns, even Charlie Parker and Coltrane used a lot of patterns that were repeated over and over again in their improvisations. I see that Guthrie uses certain patterns over and over again as well, but it's like vocabulary in a language. I don't see anything wrong with using patterns as long as they tie musical ideas together to say something meaningful.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic! jazz improvisation (minus the freest free jazz stuff) has always been based on patterns. it's a question of variating a certain amount of more or less fixed idioms. nothing wrong with that. that's the art of it, making it interesting despite limitations. actually, playing "inside" with a limited tonal palette, and making it interesting is hard! try to sound cool by playing strict c ionian over a c major vamp! (zappa does it great.)

the terms "inside" and "outside" sometimes seems to be a bit too relative to make sense. playing #f, #g, bB, #C, #D over a cmaj7 chord could certainly be described as outside playing in a way that makes sense. but often people refer to outside playing when they are talking about jazz improvisation, and more specificly: what people are playing over the V chord in a II, V, I progression. a lot of the tension in jazz is produced with and around the V7 chord, and the cool "outside" ideas and sounds often happpens here, but playing a whole tone scale, a diminished scale, or a phrygian dominat scale, or augmented arpeggios over a V7 going to Imaj7 IS NOT PLAYING OUTISDE, although it will have a lot of tension and sound "dissonant" to some.

when guthrie plays more straight jazz, he definitely has these idioms down (duh!) but also manages to be creative with it in a way that's rare among other players than those who have been concetrating on jazz. or at least rare among players with cool tappping and speed picking chops Very Happy but to get back to Ed's initial topic: hell yeah guthrie is mostly an inside player, but not an uninteresting one. and yes, he uses licks, patterns and approaches to playing and constructing lines that reoccurs all the time, but HE HAS HIS OWN VERY IDENTIFIABLE STYLE and really manages to vary himself. i've only heard guthrie play in quite "domesticated" situations, pretty inside music. but considerning guthrie's eclecticism, i wouldn't be surprised to find him in a post derek bailey (r.i.p.) situation playing a one stringed suhr with a drumstick and making beautiful music out of it Wink

Last edited by sumis on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
James W

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from what Ed has said about the neoclassical style, I think there are a certain few points that distinguish authentic say, Baroque music (i.e. Bach) from a pastiche of it (i.e. Malmsteen).

For instance, whenever something non-diatonic comes into a pieces by Bach it is (more often than not) a sign that the music has modulated, and one of the main points of the music can become about the modulations; the length, smoothness and emotional impact of the modulations in a piece by Bach. This differs most conspicuously from the one modulation I have heard in Malmsteen's music - it was glaringly obvious and quite incongruous, and was in dramatic contrast to the (frequent) subtlety of authentic classical compositions.

And in fact, I think one could claim that classical music is totally not suited to the rock music setting - one of the deepest interests of classical music is the textural nuances, the contrapuntal interests and the dynamics. This is all lost in neoclassical rock music.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And in fact, I think one could claim that classical music is totally not suited to the rock music setting - one of the deepest interests of classical music is the textural nuances, the contrapuntal interests and the dynamics. This is all lost in neoclassical rock music.

but you gain the opportunity to set fire to a strat! Very Happy
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
great topic! jazz improvisation (minus the freest free jazz stuff) has always been based on patterns.

Can you elaborate more on this assertion? I'm curious to learn more about how jazz improv has been based on patterns.

Thanks!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:

I totally agree with this and I've come to the view that neoclassical is a musical dead end and that classical music and rock really don't mesh well together. If classical elements are to be added to rock, I like it done in a way that, say, Pink Floyd has done it.

To me, neoclassical style of playing sounds way more limited than blues, which can borrow the harmonic language and chord substitutions from jazz and still be blues. You have more scale tones from natural minor and harmonic minor scales compared to the pentatonic, but it's as though the neoclassical player is more boxed in to those scale notes than the blues guy playing pentatonic scales.

I guess the important aspect of going "outside" is really making it all sound good. Hitting wrong notes doesn't make one a more "advanced" player! Laughing I haven't theoretically analyzed Guthrie's lines as I don't practice the guitar and study music theory like I once did (Hey, I'm just an offic worker now! Wink ), but to me, he does sound like he goes out just enough to make his lines interesting even if he's being primarily diatonic. And, as you say, even if one stays diatonic, there are ways to still sound fresh and interesting. I'd say rhythmic variations and use of space become more of an important factor here.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
iplayguitar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. I think of all sounds, whether inside or outside the tonality, to be colors. But, though I play things that may be considered "out," I can hear everything that I'm doing. I think people who can't hear these outside colors, have trouble understanding or getting into music that has those qualities.
There are some players who utilize some of those colors for some of what they do, most of what they do, or none of what they do. Holdsworth does of the most beautiful inside and outside playing I've heard Mick Goodrick and I were once talking about Holdsworth, and he doesn't think of him as out player, citing Ornette, Leroy Jenkins, Anthony Braxton, and others who base most of their vocabulary on outside sounds.
I think Guthrie does play a lot "inside" things, but he has great ears, and so his solos are always melodic and seamless. He is a master of his own vocabulary.
Javi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got much knowledge about theorical music because most of my playing is by ear... One question, I don't know the historic roots of the most successful scale in the guitar music in the last times, the pentatonic scale, but Could have been this scale an outside pattern 300 years ago, something no familiar for the average ear in those times? Something dissonance? Just curiosity. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: