Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Bassist/Producer John Avila
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bassist/Producer John Avila

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Bassist/Producer John Avila Reply with quote

Just had lunch with this great musician/producer and super nice guy. John Avila visited the shop and I'm arranging a trio show for him possibly in early-December and also at NAMM in January. For those of you who are not familiar, John's (is, was, I'm not too sure) the bassist for Oingo Boingo and an indie producer for some of the top fledgling artists in the Southern Cal music scene. I'm really excited about featuring John over here.

John has also played with Steve Vai, Stewart Copeland and a bunch of other artists that I can't recall right now. I was, naturally, very curious about his experiences with Steve Vai. John also gave me a little demo CD of his 16-year-old daughter singing some jazz songs and it is absolutely mindblowing! Shocked Talk about a teenage phenom!!! She'll be a guest singer for the Avila gig that I'm planning.

John Avila is a Vigier bass and Glockenklang bass amp endorsee and Salwender International hooked me up with him, so I'm quite honored and excited about being able to work with another world-class musician such as John. Here is the link to John's website:

http://www.johnavila.com/

He does have a guitarist in his trio who John says is a great player, so I'm looking forward to hearing him as well. Should be a good change of pace. As of now, I've got John penciled in for Dec 4 Sat and Jan 21 Fri during NAMM.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy He's a fantastic player so I'm sure it'll be a great trio.

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to this demo CD of John's 16-year-old daughter, Liela, singing these jazz torch songs and I'm absolutely flabbergasted by her voice, her command, her phrasing and overall talent as a singer. She's a phenom of the highest order - a real prodigy.Shocked I can't stop listening to it. Her voice is smoother than that of Norah Jones and is not gravely like that of Ella Fitzerald or Billie Holiday, so that may work for or against her depending on what people expecst for this type of music, but I love it. I gotta have her perform here with John sometime. Absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing! Sent Guthrie a copy of the demo CD. Guthrie had advised me that he gigs sometimes at the school he teaches in with a female jazz singer who's in the Norah Jones vein, so I'm sure he'll dig the CD.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Liela Avila Reply with quote

Just spoke with John Avila and I'm going to arrange for his trio to play here and have her daughter, Liela, at least sing several tunes. It's going to be either December 3 or 5. Will probably arrange for Thomas Leeb to open up as well. Should be an exquisite musical evening.

Well, John said it'd be fine for me to distribute copies or put up her singing on the net, so I just have to share her prodigious talent with you guys. This is her rendition of "Pure Imagination" (the Willie Wonka classic):

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/LAvila_Pure_Imagination.mp3

It's a 5MB file, so be patient with the download, but once it's downloaded, you'll enjoy the music even if it's not something you would normally listen to. Personally, I love this kind of stuff when I want to get away from guitar-intensive music. I can't wait to have her sing here. What a talent!!! Shocked And if any of you guys want a copy of the demo CD, email or PM me. I'll send it out for $3 including shipping.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't resist putting up another clip by Liela. This is more of a pop ballad with a nylon-string acoustic backing, about 2 minutes long.

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/I_Can't_Wait.mp3
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Liela Avila's show at the Tone Mecca has been confirmed for December 5, Sunday, starting at around 7PM. John's trio will feature a guitarist named Woody Aplanalp (plays for Bobby Womack), who John says is a smokin' all-around player. John's played with Steve Vai and Vai really wanted him permanently in his band but John refused because of other commitments, so when John says Woody is awesome, I believe him! They have some instrumental material and some vocal material as well. Liela will sing on certain number of songs of John's and sing some standards and her self-penned songs as well. Here's one more of her in a more new age pop mode. Just lovely and nice nylon-string acoustic work as well.

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/LAvila_Empty_Beach.mp3

Also, the plan is to have Thomas Leeb, the acoustic fingerstylist extraordinaire, to open the night with a 35~40 minute set. Admissions will only be $10. This is the show that you will want to bring along your wife or girlfriend. Wink

And one more clip of her singing in the torch jazz vein:

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/Black_Coffee.mp3
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeez... Shocked her singing is just heavenly Exclamation not what i'd normally listen to, but man, how can you say anything but great things about that voice of hers?!? Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of Liela and the band that played on the demo clips which were recorded in August:

As for the band members, L to R: Bob Robles on guitar, Vic Buxton on keyboards and piano, and Anthony Logerfo on drums. John, of course, played the bass. The dog is Brando and the keeper of the house.Wink

John and his guitarist Woody Aplanalp were over at the shop today hanging out and checking out a bunch of gear. They are very excited about performing here on December 5 and John advised me that Liela is really looking forward to it as well. I also talked to John about having Liela be the focus of another Christmas party show singing Christmas standards along with her jazz songs.

And here's one more complete track, the ole jazz classic "Summertime", sung exquisitely by Liela:

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/Summertime.mp3

I asked John if she listens to pop and the "normal" stuff that most 16-year-olds would listen to but John said that Liela has no interest in that stuff and listens to Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn and other legendary jazz singers.Shocked Very interesting, indeed...Cool

I sent Guthrie a copy of the demo tracks CD and he says it's "Very nice!"
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: