Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Asia Album "Silent Nation"
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Asia Album "Silent Nation"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: New Asia Album "Silent Nation" Reply with quote

It should be hitting the streets any day now. I noticed you can pre-order it at Amazon.

This is the first Asia album where Guthrie had some significant creative input and the first where he's featured as the full-time guitarist in the band. Before, Asia had a committee kind of approach to the guitarists playing on their albums, including Guthrie, but I guess they finally realized that Guthrie is the ONE!

Guthrie was in Hollywood in April to lay down the guitar tracks and that's where I met up with him and gave him my beloved Suhr Standard, which he fell in love with when he visited the shop in January. He eneded up using that guitar the most for laying down the guitar tracks he later advised me. So you'll hear that Suhr, seen here on the forum on upper left, all over it. Can't say I'm a big Asia fan, but I'm certainly looking forward to this album.

Some guy who heard the pre-release copy of the album said Guthrie sounds more like Blackmore and Gilmour with some Gary Moore thrown in. Should be cool! Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie sent me a little clip of a section from one of the songs from the new album where he solos through a grand instrumental/vocal background and it's just killer! It sounds like an outro of a long epic song and Guthrie's tone and soloing really is reminiscent of Blackmore (with a touch of Yngwie during some runs) with a Gilmour-like feel and tension. Just beautiful!

This isn't anything like the clinic DVD solo album material nor the Fellowship jazz material. This is a mainstream pop-prog-rock setting and Guthrie lays into it with a nice balance of long sinewy melody lines that are emotionally charged and scary speed lines that never sound out of context within the flow of the song. But it's really the whole compositional aspect of the solo that's the most impressive and noteworthy. And Guthrie's patented vibrato is slowly and surely becoming as individualistic and identifiable as that of any player I've heard. This new Asia album is going to be great with Guthrie all over it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into prog-rock anymore, but hey...it's Guthrie so i'm definitely gonna check it out. Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I'm not really into prog-rock anymore, but hey...it's Guthrie so i'm definitely gonna check it out. Smile

Neither am I, although I still have fond memories of being into early-70's Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. But Asia, to my mind, was never a "true" prog band. Asia, to me, is more of a pop/rock band with prog underpinnings and the brainchild of Geoffrey Downes, who really made his name with the Buggles and their one hit wonder, "Video Killed the Radiostar" - which is, to this day, a charming pop song that defines an era as well as any.

Not my particular cup of tea either, but for us Guthrie and guitar fans in general, I believe this album will serve as a valuable lesson in using that type of ability and guitar playing in a more conventional mainstream format. It's about the use taste, feel, mood, and space (the notes you leave out) to fit the context of the songs. I'm sure some of us are playing stuff that aren't necessarily our favorite kinds of music (Top 40, church worship band, etc.), so we can all learn something from this. I don't think this forum will be attracting a lot of late middle-age Asia fans here, you know? Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Carlo wrote:

Neither am I, although I still have fond memories of being into early-70's Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. But Asia, to my mind, was never a "true" prog band. Asia, to me, is more of a pop/rock band with prog underpinnings and the brainchild of Geoffrey Downes, who really made his name with the Buggles and their one hit wonder, "Video Killed the Radiostar" - which is, to this day, a charming pop song that defines an era as well as any.

Not my particular cup of tea either, but for us Guthrie and guitar fans in general, I believe this album will serve as a valuable lesson in using that type of ability and guitar playing in a more conventional mainstream format. It's about the use taste, feel, mood, and space (the notes you leave out) to fit the context of the songs. I'm sure some of us are playing stuff that aren't necessarily our favorite kinds of music (Top 40, church worship band, etc.), so we can all learn something from this. I don't think this forum will be attracting a lot of late middle-age Asia fans here, you know? Wink

good point Ed!
jason.morris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from Amazon today, the girlfried took the piss out of the cheesy lyrics... Sad

I'll concede that it's a bit like the Kotzen/Saraceno Poison & Timmons Danger Danger records, where you have to get past the local/lyrical cheese to get to the cracking guitar work. It is better than those bands, though; it's not a bad band with a great guitar player, but a good band that's just cheesy, that's all.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it. As stated earlier, even if Asia's music is not your thang, I'm sure there's plenty to learn and pick up from what Guthrie is doing within that context.

I should also state, that when I hung out with Guthrie at the studio in Hollywood back in May for a day when he was over to lay down the guitar tracks, I got to meet the bassist John Payne and Geoff Downes and they were really nice guys and it was great meeting them. Didn't get to talk to Geoff very much, but John was a very cool guy and I enjoyed hanging out with both Guthrie and John very much.

They're hard-working pro musicians doing their thing. Met the drummer Chris Slade back in January at the shop during the Guthrie clinic. Really nice guy as well. I'm glad to know that Guthrie is working with such a good group of guys. I wish all of them the very best in Asia's success. I have a feeling that this album will do well within the market that they're shooting for.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason.morris wrote:
I got it from Amazon today, the girlfried took the piss out of the cheesy lyrics... Sad

I'll concede that it's a bit like the Kotzen/Saraceno Poison & Timmons Danger Danger records, where you have to get past the local/lyrical cheese to get to the cracking guitar work. It is better than those bands, though; it's not a bad band with a great guitar player, but a good band that's just cheesy, that's all.

ugh... don't mention poison. saw them some years ago with kotzen in there. rk is a brilliant player, but no one could save poison with just stellar guitar playing. cheesy lyrics? who listens to lyrics these days anyway? don't think i'll dig asia a whole lot, but will buy because of guthrie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: