Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Allan Holdsworth Trio Live at Tone Merchants
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allan Holdsworth Trio Live at Tone Merchants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Allan Holdsworth Trio Live at Tone Merchants Reply with quote

What an incredible evening! Just finished up the show with the legendary Allan Holdsworth and his trio performing for the first time at the Tone Mecca and Allan was on fire! Here are the pics from the show:

http://community.webshots.com/album/192039841zUCjed

We somehow packed close to a hundred people in that room and all those bodies provided a lot of heat on top of the heat of the playing by these three magnificent musicians, but it was certainly an unforgettable evening for all. Allan sounded awesome and his playing is as incredible as ever.

People really dug the room's sound and the intimate vibe with great view and balanced sound no matter where you were seating (or standing). I'll tell you straight out that Allan will definitely be a regular here. He advised me that he enjoyed playing here immensely and looks forward to coming back soon. I'm thinking two nights in a row sometime in November. I've had to turn away over 40 people in the last week alone! Amazing! A true legend and a real nice guy to boot!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was a great night Very Happy

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
Looks like it was a great night Very Happy

Alun

Sure was! Even a bigger crowd than Henderson, which kind of surprised me.

I had seen Allan before in a few places and both times there were less than 20 people at each show (and in Hollywood, too!), so I had no idea what to expect.

Also, I talked with a lot of the Allan fanatics after the show who had seen Allan dozens or even over a hundred times (according to them) and they said that this was definitely one of his best shows that they had ever seen. So, that's really cool. I think the fact that he's also a local Orange County resident playing for the first time in his backyard had him pumped up as well. Everything just clicked that night.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's awesome. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could have been there Ed!

I think what you are doing with your new room is very special!!

I hope to be there around NAMM. What's the current lineup that week?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
I wish I could have been there Ed!

I think what you are doing with your new room is very special!!

I hope to be there around NAMM. What's the current lineup that week?

You definitely need to get out here soon, especially for NAMM. I'm reshuffling the NAMM schedule at the moment as Guthrie needs to leave on Jan 23 Sun (last day of NAMM) for Germany as Asia starts a tour there on Jan 25. So I'm planning to have Guthrie and his band (including Zak on sax!) to arrive in Southern Cal around Jan 15 or so and start a series of shows on Jan 18 through 21 with some other artists thrown in. Working out the logistics will be kind of tough, but Guthrie only makes it out here a few times per year to play his own music, so I'm planning as many of his shows during that NAMM week as possible. Richie Kotzen and his band will definitely be playing a full set on Jan 21.

Allan Holdsworth and Scott Henderson both expressed much interest in playing here during that week and I'm really hoping I could also get in Mike Landau. Jan 22 will feature Ed DeGenaro, Nick Sterling, and Ron Thal and this show will be sponsored by Vigier Guitars and Salwender International (the USA Diezel, Glockenklang and Vigier distributor). Chris Poland and OHM, Greg Howe, JMR, and Doug Aldrich are some other possible candidates to play during the week of NAMM and afterwards. I also plan to have acoustic fingerstylist extraordinaire Thomas Leeb (and possibly others) to open up some of these shows. It's going to be absolutely insane here late January!!! Shocked Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Yoon, the Bill Graham of our time Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I gave Allan a copy of the clinic DVD. It'll be interesting to see what the grandmaster has to say about Guthrie's playing. I know Scott H has a copy and I heard that although the shred/rock kinds of material on that DVD wasn't Scott's particular cup of tea, he found Guthrie's playing and chops to be "amazing". Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, sounds like an awesome night

I hope you guys do get Greg Howe, that would absolutely rule! Smile

Then I wouldn't stop begging you for a dvd....hehe

Last edited by Carlo on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'd love to hear what some of the top guitarists say about Govan.

Also how does one go about getting into NAMM? Is it only an industry thing or is it open to the public?

Is there going to be anybody there taping those concerts for a DVD Surprised Question
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Awesome, I'd love to hear what some of the top guitarists say about Govan.

Also how does one go about getting into NAMM? Is it only an industry thing or is it open to the public?

Is there going to be anybody there taping those concerts for a DVD Surprised Question

I heard from someone who knows Richie Kotzen fairly well saying that Richie was raving about Guthrie. I don't think Scott H will say someone is "amazing" very often. I'm sure Allan would be impressed. I gave Kurt James (the guy who replaced Yngwie in Steeler back in the 80's and quite a shredder himself) a copy and he said Guthrie was "very inspiring". I'm sure a copy is in Steve Vai's hands as I sent a copy in to Favored Nations, but no word from that camp. Personally, as Guthrie would say about what he thinks about other guitarists, I don't think it really matters what other great guitarists think of Guthrie either, but it is interesting to hear these things. Guthrie mentioned that he was very touched that Shawn Lane had some nice things to say about Guthrie's playing.

I just can't imagine how anybody could have anything less than superlative things to say about Guthrie's playing. Now the music may be a different matter as that comes down to personal taste and preferences, but as far as Guthrie's playing and musicianship, how could anyone possibly say anything negative? I can totally understand when some people say they're not really into Guthrie's music just as there are many great artists and players I admire but can't really get into because their music just isn't my personal cup of tea.

As for NAMM, yes, it is a musical-industry-only kind of a thing that's not open to the public, but more than half of the attendees aren't really in the biz anyway. I don't even plan to attend next year as I've been going there every year since the late-80's whether I liked it or not (as a Fender employee) and it's just a showcase for the big companies with gaudy and cheesy sensationalism which has really nothing to do with what I'm doing. A lot of boutique manufacturers can't afford to have booths there anyway so there's really no reason for me to attend. But if you haven't been there yet, it's certainly worth attending at least once or twice. Me? I've graduated and moved on... Wink

As for the shows during the NAMM period here at the Tone Mecca, yes, we'll try to tape what we can. Some of that will have to be worked out with the artists and they should have control over what they can do with it. I don't think Scott H and Allan H want their shows taped, but I have a customer who works in a video production company that did work for National Geographic and TBS amongst other high-profile clients, so this guy can definitely put together something really cool for these artists. We'll tape the Guthrie shows here with pro audio and video in Jan '05 but I'm going to hand over the masters to him and he can decide what to do with them at a later date. I'd really rather have Guthrie and his bandmates to earn what they deserve. So, stay tuned... Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
We'll tape the Guthrie shows here with pro audio and video in Jan '05 but I'm going to hand over the masters to him and he can decide what to do with them at a later date. I'd really rather have Guthrie and his bandmates to earn what they deserve. So, stay tuned... Very Happy

I'LL BE TUNED Mr. Green
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Holdsworth Trio Back @ Tone Merchants - Nov 19 & 20 Reply with quote

With the stunning success of the Allan Holdsworth's debut show at Tone Merchants on Sep. 25, I'm pleased to announce that the Allan Holdsworth Trio has agreed to come back and play two shows back to back on November 19 and 20 (Fri and Sat), 8PM. Capacity will be limited to a maximum of 71 seats and standing room for 10 more ONLY. We overpacked the room on Sep 25 and do not really want to do that for the next two shows. So reserve early! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Holdsworth Trio Back @ Tone Merchants - Nov 19 & 20 Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
With the stunning success of the Allan Holdsworth's debut show at Tone Merchants on Sep. 25, I'm pleased to announce that the Allan Holdsworth Trio has agreed to come back and play two shows back to back on November 19 and 20 (Fri and Sat), 8PM. Capacity will be limited to a maximum of 71 seats and standing room for 10 more ONLY. We overpacked the room on Sep 25 and do not really want to do that for the next two shows. So reserve early! Smile

Evil or Very Mad Wrong Coast again Ed Evil or Very Mad
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Holdsworth Trio Back @ Tone Merchants - Nov 19 & 20 Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Evil or Very Mad Wrong Coast again Ed Evil or Very Mad

Well, you need to move to the Right Coast! Wink

Seriously, it's a shame that someone of Allan's stature can't tour the East Coast. What venues can you think of over there that might accommodate Allan? Allan's fans on the East Coast need to get a grass-roots kind of thing going to have Allan play there.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: