Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Yngwie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yngwie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yngwie_is_teh_haxor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Yngwie Reply with quote

Someone tell me how to play like yngwie.
splatter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play harmonic minor scales and work on your high kicks.
Cabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^nailed it Laughing

A.) Listen to his music
B.) work on arpeggios
C.) Work on flinging your guitar over your shoulder and around back to its original position. (note: use strap-locks!!!)
D.) Practice critical Yngwie facial expressions!:

stormcrow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAH! That's awesome... that second pic is hideous.
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thing is with yngwie, it is easy to copy his harmonic minor stuff, but to get the fire that he has, and writing some of the stuff he does is something else, such as the rising force album, and his concerto suite, other than that i wish you the best of luck in your harmonic minor yngiwe impressions.
RD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People always think he's just using Harmonic Minor, wich is does use indeed, but if you ask me, he's also using Dorian mode alot. And probably Melodic Minor as well.

Further you need to master the following techniques to a very high degree:

- Sweeppicking
- Alternate Picking
- Economic Picking
- Hammers 'n Pulls
- Vibrato
- And some more Vibrato Wink

So it's really not that simple; he pretty much uses every solid technique in the book.

Stage presentation is important for an artist like Yngwie indeed. You can make fun of it, but I think Yngwie is fun to watch. I can't listen to it for over 10-15 minutes or so, but it's 10 great minutes!
RD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and don't forget the make-up Smile I saw him live in Holland once, and I think he used eye-liner or something Laughing
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeliner is important, as is using at least ten picks per song: the more notes you play, the more picks you need, eh?

one rolex on each wrist is optional, but it might definitely help.

"release the fuckin' fury!"

Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to make fun of him, but few of those who laugh at him can play like him.

As for the first post, you need to be a bit more specific.
Cabbage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to make fun of him, but dont get me wrong, I love Yngwie. I saw him in concert back in like 1984 or 85 or so, as the opening act for AC/DC. (It was right after Rising Force came out, whenever that was...) He absolutely blew away everyone. Me, the crowd, AC/DC....Definitely one of the most entertaining and inspiring shows I've ever seen.

Around that time Guitar Player magazine had come out with 'Black Star' on a cheap little thin plastic record single insert (as in, phonograph record...) plus the transcription (done by Steve Vai I think?).

Seriously, when me and my friends first heard Black Star on that cheap ass little record, we thought, "Holy Sh*t!! No way!! That has to be a sped up recording or something!!!" (I wish I still had that record...)

The comment about the fire in his playing is so correct. His picking is amazing to watch. Plus he pulls all that off live while doing the high kicks, guitar flips, etc....

So seeing him live so soon after the Guitar Player mag thing was truly amazing and inspirational. It definitely steered me into an Yngwie-wannabe-clone phase.

Also, Yngtchie Blacksteen is the best forum name ever.
splatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to make fun of him. Truly... but I have to respect the guy. It's not easy doing all those high kicks, particularly in leather pants.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! no one is allowed to make fun of yngwie who doesn't realize the fact that is his genius! i've seen him live numerous times (well, three) and have listened to him since rising force was released (yes, i'm that old). i've defended yngwie sooo many times in front of ignorant music snobs that i'm entitled to make fun of the bastard. and btw: i'm a swede! (and also a music snob, i have to agreee; just not an ignorant one Wink )

fact is. i've come to apppreciate yngwie even more nowadays. not his later records really, but just what he's doing and representing on the guitar. in my view, he's a blues player, but with a different harmonic vocabulary ...

Cabbage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

fact is. i've come to apppreciate yngwie even more nowadays. not his later records really, but just what he's doing and representing on the guitar. in my view, he's a blues player, but with a different harmonic vocabulary ...

I agree, and thats actually a really interesting way to look at his playing. I can see where you're coming from on that anyway...
splatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone could say that he doesn't have phenomenal technique. He basically invented neoclassical shred by himself. I used to be absolutely captivated by his playing, and wore my fingertips bloody trying to imitate his playing. His playing does seem to have come about fully formed when he was in Alcatrazz (at least that was the first I heard him) and never seemed to grow. I wish he'd progressed - I think he could have done some remarkable things.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splatter wrote:
His playing does seem to have come about fully formed when he was in Alcatrazz (at least that was the first I heard him) and never seemed to grow. I wish he'd progressed - I think he could have done some remarkable things.

Scary enough even earlier. There's a famous bootleg were he plays the rising force material flawlessly in a swedish school/youth club when he's like 17 ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: