Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Any non guitar playing Guthrie fans?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any non guitar playing Guthrie fans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBR1000F

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps we should take it to the next level and ask whether there were any non-musician Guthrie fans?

Okay: I'm a non-musician Smile
geofffarinaisunderrated

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-musician here.

Although I've jammed on keyboards, I really have no experience. Decent ear for music though.
Dig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a drummer who LOVES Guthrie's playing. The "you never know what he is going to throw at you" aspect of his playing combined with his incredible technique and diversity is what draws me to his work. Somehow Guthrie and Virgil D. got to get together on stage or in the studio and create some amazing fireworks.

Dig
stormcrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Somehow Guthrie and Virgil D. got to get together on stage or in the studio and create some amazing fireworks.

Hell yeah. Cool I love Virgils style!
Todd Currington

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another non-musician here. I couldn't care less about NPS or scales or picking techniques. I just listen to the notes being played and Guthrie makes 'em sound better than any monster player I've heard or seen.
Javi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife started to listen guitar playing with Satch 10 years ago and now she ended up liking GG and Allan Holdsworth... And she hasn't got a clue about scales or even notes... Even she has came with me to a few of the GG concerts in The Bassment. This is another perspective of listen to this music without any knowledge about theorical music or technique, which I suppose it happened in all the guitar players and musicians in general before they started to practice for first time with a musical instrument. I think it is a question of "ear education". So you don't need to know about music to appreciate the complicated scales and tempos that GG for example usually plays. People are used to listen standard patterns from rock, Soul and pop styles that have been leading the music industry in the last 50 years. But if you take a lot of people beyond the standards (which I like it too), the average people would say: So behind Angus Young was an Eddie Van Halen, and behind Brian May was a Steve Vai, and so on… But you have to show them the path.
Leanna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys! My first post here. Not a guitar player but I play some piano and the flute. My brother introduced me to Guthrie and I'm really enamored with his playing and the music. He sounds very sexy! Razz Wink
Shangri-La

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another non-musician here but big music fan from indonesia. been yngwie fan for long time. i really like guthrie's style. very listenable and fun.
Sandoling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-musician here as well. Couldn't play 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' on any instrument. Embarassed Laughing But I've got good ears, love music and know awesome talent when I hear it and Guthrie sure fits that bill!
James W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanna wrote:
Hi, guys! My first post here. Not a guitar player but I play some piano and the flute. My brother introduced me to Guthrie and I'm really enamored with his playing and the music. He sounds very sexy! Razz Wink

Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: non musical fans Reply with quote

I play guitar, and have got my mum into vai and others, she has alive in an ultra world, the alchemists ( featuring guthrie), the four track thing that guthrie and jamie did, and yj malmsteen concerto suite inher car, so shes a non musician fan!! I think in a way its good to get into it as a non musician because its like a child viewing something- no set expextations or critisismns to dish out, they just hear it and see if they like it- a completly inoccent perspective., so in a way its easier for them, well my mum hasnt said " hmm, i dont think that vai has as good vibrato as yngwie" yet.
Greg Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-player, non-musician here. Like many here on this thread, I couldn't care less about what scales he plays, how fast he is or what kind of pick he uses. All I care about is that I like what I'm listening to and I sure like Guthrie's playing and music! Can't wait for the album!
Leanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Leanna wrote:

Thanks, James! How nice of you! Wink
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you have no musical talent Tanya ... It's great to hear that drummers appreciate Guthrie as well!

Sorry guys ... Didn't really mean it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: