Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Single-Coil vs. Humbucker
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single-Coil vs. Humbucker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avg1974

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Standard Strat Pickups Reply with quote

I bought an American Series Strat a few years ago and could never really get 'into' the stock pickups. As I am based in a flat I use a POD and am quite close to this and my mixer - causing serious hum. In addition I found the sound to be too thin for my playing style and this caused me to overplay to try and compensate.

Recently I replaced all pickups with Seymour Duncan Duckbuckers and could not believe the difference, the guitar has really come to life! The pickups seem so much more musical to me. From one amp (POD) setting I am now able to get several useable sounds just by changing the tone and volume settings. Now I just can't put that guitar down!

Anyone else tried these pickups or similar, like vintage rails?
M@

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm using a lot of computer software these days and need to sit in front of a monitor (Guitar Rig, Pro Tools etc).

I'm also using a US Strat (Roadhouse) and I replaced the Texas PUP's with Kinmans - these are simply the quietest single coil strat pickup's around - others here may, or will, disagree Wink

Thanks for the reco on the Seymour Duncan.

However, I'm finding the US Strats are pretty average quality and I'm on the look out for a good JAPANESE Stat or Tokai. Once I get one of those, I'm thinking of putting in a humbucker type pick up in my current US strat... see what happens.

I'd love one of those Suhrs that Guthrie plays, but lets face it - is a guitar really worth that much money? Damn, I remember paying an arm and a leg for a PRS back in 1989!

Cheers
M@

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I wonder if our preferences relate to the first guitars we owned. I had a Maton Firebird (a really gothic black beast made in Aus), and then progressed up to a Japanese Squire, then PRS (now all long sold)...

Or perhaps it comes back to our first guitar heros? Being breast-fed on Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore and Knopfler, I tend to favour the cleaner and richer single coil sounds (however, what about those lovely EVH humbucker tones?).

I went through a phase where I was really looking for versatility in my gear. I think some of the modern guitars try and fill that role.

Speaking of this intruguing subject, have any of you guys seen/played/heard the Line 6 Variax guitars w/ the Workbench software?

The concept/implementation is quite interesting, however I played a top of the line Variax and the feel of the neck really turned me off - otherwise I would really consider it, especially for a home PC recording environment. Maybe the Variax's I played at the music shop weren't setup properly (seems to be one of my common complaints of the music shops here in Hong Kong).

Would like to hear comments on the whole Variax "25 guitars in a box" concept.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: