Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - EROTIC CAKES AVALIBLE NOW, FRIDAY 11th AUGUST 2006
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EROTIC CAKES AVALIBLE NOW, FRIDAY 11th AUGUST 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delicato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just placed the order for mine. And now the waiting starts...
Resi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping mine arrives tomorrow... Very Happy
Zorsshelter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Received mine this morning
Resi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a good idea for Mr. C, it'd help get the word across, probably.

http://www.last.fm/labels/
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorsshelter wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Received mine this morning

More reviews and post 'em elsewhere as well as here!!! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine yesterday, and I'm on my third listen through right now. I think the one thing that really stood out to me is that this CD doesn't sound like a debut CD; it really sounds like what I would normally expect from a musician 4-5 CDs into their career.

There are just sooo many dimensions to take in on this CD. There's the obvious just outright sick skill that we all know Guthrie for. But even more, I thoroughly enjoy the composition. It reminds me of some of Vai's better efforts, not so much in note choice, but in how well thought out the arrangements are.

I don't want to give a complete song-by-song analysis, but just highlight a few of my favorite moments on the CD.

Waves - This song has really grown on me. I like the momentum that develops throughout the song.

Wonderful Slippery Thing - The tapping in this song, though short, is just outright daunting...and it's done with clean tone!

Fives - The tapping section in this song makes me think of "sheets of sound". I think it's one of those solos where the resulting whole is greater than the parts.

Sevens - Guthrie is on fire in this solo! I almost wish he would have taken another 8 bars.

Slidey Boy - Love the lines and the tone in this song.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...or whatever that would come to in pounds via Paypal's conversion rate Wink
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a couple of days with the cd in my hands and having listened to it in its entirety more times than what´s recommended by doctors, I think I can give my own review now...

1.- Waves. I consider this song the perfect opener for the album. It definitely has a hypnotic quality and it´s, IMHO, the song that has benefited the most from the production and studio recording. The final minutes of Guthrie improvising are simply stellar and GG shines playing some soulful licks that, fast or not, add tension and release and make this song a fully intense listening experience. It was the first song I heard from the album (duh) and its melodic content was most welcome, as well as the fact that the pick attack was very apparent, sounding louder than in the DVD, which creates that agressive percussive sound that I love so much. In addition, it is a first taste of the many mood changes within one song and the clean sound lead passages that I simply love to death.

2.- Erotic Cakes. Very nice version of this track. In terms of production, I think this song was the perfect call for a meaner, heavier, more in your face sound. Well, I guess GG didn´t want it to sound like that. It is very cool anyways and the underlying chords in the opening riff sort of create a tension feeling that is a bit disturbing and I think fits perfectly with what GG wanted to translate into the listener. Superb playing as always.

3.- Wonderful Slippery thing. Cool jazzy version, with more clean guitars and some sort of funky vibe going on in the background. I must say the slide tracks completely fit the title and I guess the mood GG wanted to achieve, but I liked it better with the good old bends. However, the change in dynamics in this song are simply breathtaking and when GG goes from heavy to jazzy his phrasing stands out more, and I love it.

4.- Ner Ner. Simply put, a classic. This song is another that IMHO has heavily benefited from the studio recording and production. The initial lead guitars that jump screaming at you are incredible and so is the playing from all members. This is one of the songs where the groove is most aparent. A very well played 6/8. RK´s solo is very good, didn´t think he could play that technically any more, thought he was lost in his vintage thing. Wink The break at 3:32 has some of the most touching playing from GG. Simply amazing phrasing.

5.- Fives. Tapping mayhem. I simply freak out every single time I hear/see GG play those fluid, almost liquid pasages. I love how free it sounds. I love the production on this one as well.

6.- Uncle Skunk. As many have said already, this one reminds me of Steve Vai... Could very well be some sort of tribute, like many have said. Although a very cool song, it´s not among my favorites in the album.

7.- Sevens. Whatever happens at about 1:31 is still a mistery to me, and I think it could be some of the fastest and craziest guitar playing I have ever heard. This song is not as different from the live version as others in the album. It has some of the wildest licks in the whole record, and the improvisation towards the end is tasteful and awesome.

8.- Eric. A slow burner. I didn´t like it in the beginning, but it´s growing on me. Some of the slide harmonies remind me of Garsed & Helmerich songs, as well as the whole vibe of the song. A nice rendition.

9.- Slidey boy. A pleasant surprise!!! One of the most amazing acoustic and phrasing works I have heard in my life. A very original song that is one of my personal favorites. One of the most evident examples of how incredibly cool GG´s phrasing is. That is probably the thing that has impressed me the most from the album, how free GG sounds. Of course, I had heard that in the DVD, but in the context of the album, it strikes me even more. It really makes some other players look limited, sound stuck into sequences, patterns and boxes, while GG sounds free.

10.- RIS. Not liking country, this one is not that much interesting for me. The playing is great again, and BBF solo is very cool, but I usually skip this track.

11.- Hangover. Amazing tune. It perfectly translates that feeling of dizziness, of not feeling too well, even a sense of melancoly, of guilt. I think this is one of the songs that most clearly translates its feelings to the listener, IMO.

Overall, one of the best instrumental rock guitar albums I have ever heard. There is not a single song in here that is not a complete piece of music in its own right. The playing from the rythm section is great, which heavily increases the listening value of the whole thing. Once again, GG´s phrasing was, for me, the highlight of the album. Like Scott Henderson or Brett Garsed, it is very difficult to spot any patterns on GG´s playing, yet it does not sound completely out there. It makes you feel at home while not sounding cliche at any moment. A personal fav!

John Petrucci
andyvicius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi... i`m andres from argentina. i ordered erotic cakes on august 15... and i haven`t received it yet.... should i begin to worry? dow anyone knows how long it should take? thanks so much....
Javi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyvicius wrote:
hi... i`m andres from argentina. i ordered erotic cakes on august 15... and i haven`t received it yet.... should i begin to worry? dow anyone knows how long it should take? thanks so much....

Hola Andrés,
Don't worry. Most of us had to wait weeks until we got the CD. I live in England and It took about 3 weeks for the delivery. I am sure you will receive it shortly. I suppose that living in Argentina it would take longer. It is worth the waiting. Venga y no te preocupes por eso Wink . Chao y hasta luego.
Errock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyvicius soy de chile y quiero saber como lo pediste, fue por vía pay pal?? solo por eso? sino me podrias ayudar que no entiendo mucho el ingles te dejo mi msn por favor loq_iron_salde@hotmail.com

Hi, i was talking to andyvicius to help me with buying the cd
Errock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some questions about buying the cd, please someone could add me to his msn .. urgent!
loq_iron_salde@hotmail.com
andyvicius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info javi... i`ll keep waiting.
to errock: i ordered it through paypal.
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've bought it now & waiting to hear how good it's going to be. Embarassed < I was late a little.
NESFantasy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started writing my review, I thought about doing some kind of "preview trailer" for a movie of the same title.

EROTIC CAKES: The true story of a young Italian baker, who discovered that with just the right amount of dough, and a dash of creativity, a sensual world far more delicious than he could ever imagine awaited him...
andyvicius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally got my copy! it seems that the postman attempted to deliver it two days ago, and no one was at home, so he gave it to my neighbourgh, and old lady that rarely goes out her home... so... today, she rang the bell and there she was with the envelope in her hand... damm.... finally...
the album is AMAZING. worth mentioning the really cool guthrie`s pic on the back of the booklet. ok... goodbye guys, have to listen to it over and over again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: