Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Book ,Creative guitar 1 has a mistake ??
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Book ,Creative guitar 1 has a mistake ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweezeroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Book ,Creative guitar 1 has a mistake ?? Reply with quote

Creative guitar book 1 is great but on page 100 he talks about constructing 9th 11th and 13th chords..

It says "In theory, you would construct Cmaj9,Cmaj11 and Cmaj13 from stacking the appropriate number of odd-numbered notes on top of a Gmaj7 chord" I'm assuming he means Cmaj7 ??

As it then says "Similarly you would produce G9,11 &13 from a G7(dom) chord" and then implies the same rule for Gm9 etc..

Also, he says theres ONE exception to the rule, the Dominant 11th, as the 11th and major 3rd are technically 1 semitone apart ,clashing horribly the 3rd should be replaced with a 5th or 9th.....

He then says the maj11th chord clashes with its own 7th so the 11th should be sharpened to produce a lydian sounding chord...

Surely that makes two exceptions, no ?

Much appreciation fro any enlightenment on this please !
markmcg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's Book ,Creative guitar 1 has a mistake ?? Reply with quote

tweezeroo wrote:
Creative guitar book 1 is great but on page 100 he talks about constructing 9th 11th and 13th chords..

It says "In theory, you would construct Cmaj9,Cmaj11 and Cmaj13 from stacking the appropriate number of odd-numbered notes on top of a Gmaj7 chord" I'm assuming he means Cmaj7 ??

A typo I'd say.

tweezeroo wrote:

Also, he says theres ONE exception to the rule, the Dominant 11th, as the 11th and major 3rd are technically 1 semitone apart ,clashing horribly the 3rd should be replaced with a 5th or 9th.....

He then says the maj11th chord clashes with its own 7th so the 11th should be sharpened to produce a lydian sounding chord...

The actual text reads "One exception would be the dominant chord...." then a seperate paragraph handles sharpening a maj11th.

So not that there is only *one* exception but exceptions, one with would be this <blah> and another is <blah>.

The important point is that the reader understands the point being put across, hopefully without any confusion.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
tweezeroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's Book ,Creative guitar 1 has a mistake ?? Reply with quote

markmcg wrote:
tweezeroo wrote:

A typo I'd say.

tweezeroo wrote:

The actual text reads "One exception would be the dominant chord...." then a seperate paragraph handles sharpening a maj11th.

So not that there is only *one* exception but exceptions, one with would be this <blah> and another is <blah>.

The important point is that the reader understands the point being put across, hopefully without any confusion.

Of course !

I took the use of 'One' literally instead of conversationally,....doh !
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do ya reckon caused the typo?

G and C being neighbouring scales with only a raised 4th in it... OR C and G looking a bit similar in their upper case state?

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
What do ya reckon caused the typo?

drugs. too much drugs.

antonis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it has another mistake, in the theory without ears chapter 3.4 example , the key signature for B is wrong i think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: