Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the album in my car.

Back in the 80's, as a kid, I remember the first time I listened to EVH on the '1984' album...Jake E. Lee on 'Bark at the Moon'...and Yngwie's 'Marching out'. These came as a shock to my system compared to their contemporaries. As guitar playing advanced to a much higher level of technique, I somehow have not experienced anything else that gave me the same impact as the ones above (probably due to so many extremely impossible shredders around now, it's hard for anyone to really stand high enough above the rest.)
I'm so happy to say that 'Erotic Cakes' brought back the same delightful shock factor that I havent experienced in years.

The first time I saw him play was when I was queueing up to try out Patrick Eggle guitars in the British Music Fair in London...he was right before me and when he played, the rest of the queue decided to not play out of embarrassment...and awe...with all our jaws dropped. Mick Sweeney of Yamaha was there too...and cheekily said..."err...excuse me...you're not really a beginner aren't you?" Very Happy

The next thing I knew was seeing his face on the cover of Guitarist Magazine winning the Guitarist of the year contest...and the rest was history.

I've been waiting for this album since that time (that makes it about 14-15 years perhaps?).And it's been worth all the wait.

Thanks Guthrie...for carrying on the torch that was previously carried by Hendrix, EVH, Yngwie etc. etc. into the future of guitar virtuosity Smile

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:
I'm so happy to say that 'Erotic Cakes' brought back the same delightful shock factor that I havent experienced in years.

In spades Cool

It's like Guthrie's resolved an interupted conversation. The conversation was instrumental rock being drowned out by shred which in turn was interupted by a diatribe against shred by grunge (which lasted a decade).. finally someone's said "okay, well how about..." and helped heal the schism between "genres" with authority and fairness and what sounds like a degree of finality. Sounds flowery Embarassed

I have the power!
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
It's like Guthrie's resolved an interupted conversation. The conversation was instrumental rock being drowned out by shred which in turn was interupted by a diatribe against shred by grunge (which lasted a decade).. finally someone's said "okay, well how about..." and helped heal the schism between "genres" with authority and fairness and what sounds like a degree of finality. Sounds flowery Embarassed

He is truly the chosen one.

"Hmm... and now for my next trick, I shall turn this river into wine and then perform a full rendition of Michael Flatley's Riverdance ON said wine river."

Laughing
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I don't want to say he's a Messiah or nuffink. But I think the album is great at picking up where I feel things got left off but it's fresh, it doesn't have a feel of emerging from some cryogenic vault... maybe an incidental renaissance type thing.

I could say the same of The Darkness to a degree but they chose to pick up from 70's / 80's glam and not change the format and maybe play the post modern irony card too.. but it got made into something more than it was by NME.

I don't want to do something NME did Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Bode wrote:

In spades Cool

Ahhh, Judge Dredd makes a most keen observation! Wink Flowery in a good way, Judge! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a very nice comment from the great Steve Stevens about 'Erotic Cakes':

Steve Stevens wrote:

Hi Ed,
I just wanted to let you know that i did indeed get the Erotic Cakes CD. As you can imagine, i get sent cd's of guitarists all the f**kin' time. I usually last about 8 bars into a song and then skip to another in search of something, anything unique. Well i got about 4 bars into Guthrie's CD and realized...this guy was stunning. Not just technically, but the compositions as well, are just too much fun. How great it is to hear someone pushing this silly piece of wood, magnets, and metal forward. Please get a message to Guthrie...."Steve Stevens salutes you." For a whole new generation of geetar players...Guthrie's got the ball and he's off and running with that sucker!
Amen!
Steve

Now this is Cool !
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Stevens rocks!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reb Beach Reply with quote

And now a word from another distinguished artist, Reb Beach:

Reb Beach wrote:

The 'Erotic Cakes' CD is excellent. It doesn't get much better than that, does it? I stopped trying to improve years ago because of people like him. I love his melodies, which is rare for me when I hear other guitarists. So effortless. He is the most well rounded yet stunning guitarist I've ever heard.

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Zack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard wonderful slippery thing many times but i just had to smile at the tapping arpeggio thingy in 1 min 20 sec or so. The timing and execution on that brake is just brethaking Cool
govango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE his new album there are some breath taking moments on it, it makes me grin from ear to ear i've never been this excited about an album since first hearing Passion and Warfare.

One thing though I couldn't get to sleep last as I had the 1st minute of Uncle Skunk going through my head and it was the first thing I thought of this morning I may have to skip that track in the future before it makes me crazy. Over the last 15 years i've had me fave players and they have come and gone with the trend but here is one that sticks with me and he is definately my no1 fave player. The musicianship on the album is amazing too with his bro on bass, really solid and the drumming is really creative and exciting.

Blimey i've even got the album on typing this out it's going to drive the wife and neighbours crazy but I don't care. I'd love to see Guthrie tour this album, i'll be there.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened to Erotic Cakes intensively ever since I got it, but I haven't come around to sitting down and writing a decent review. But it's still on the agenda. For now, this will have to do:

EROTIC CAKES R O C K S ! ! !
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Lyle Workman Loves It! Reply with quote

The latest quote from another mighty fine player - Lyle Workman.

Lyle Workman wrote:

"Guthrie is an unbelievable guitarist, especially in light of his depth as a musician clearly inspired by various genres, harmony and rhythm extending far beyond technique driven guitar music. The man is cooking with a lot of ingredients. He is supremely gifted and simply astounding. Once again, I have been reduced to guitar OWNER."

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
bigm555

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Erotic Cakes Reply with quote

I was only recently introduced to Guthrie's music but I immediately recognized that he had something special.
I ordered and received my copy of erotic cakes just a couple days ago now. I have no regrets about my purchase. This is certainly one of the best guitar albums I have come across in a very long time.
As others have mentioned (more elequently than I) one of the most appealing characteristics of Erotic Cakes is the "fun" and musician ship that comes through each arrangement. The diversity is extensive, the phrasing mature, the tones smooth. It really is a very complete package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: