Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes the album - in your words?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
I'm starting to prefer the album version of Wonderful slippery Thing now it just seems to be so perfectly realised, definitely destined to be a classic...

Yep. It's so good it's made my fingers bleed Shocked .
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarified wrote:

* In fact 'Waves' has a 'Cliffs of Dover' or 'Surfing with the Alien' vibe to it. I think there will be a lot of guitar teachers teaching it to a lot of kids for a long time to come.

Yes, I suspect the same. It's the most "mainstream" killer instrumental song since those two. People love it - even non-players.

scarified wrote:

* The guitar tone is to die for.

The best guitar tones I've heard since EJ's 'Ah Via Musicom'. Guthrie just sounds more contemporary, urban and rock. Also, no hint of annoying shred sizzle and buzzsaw sounds anywhere, but it cuts through while retaining clarity, warmth, and balls. These are sounds that won't sound dated for many years to come, like Jimi, EVH, Jeff Beck, etc. 'Surfing' sounds quite dated now with its chorused-out thin distortion sounds. 'P&W' had some good sounds, but to me, he never had da tone. I thought Vai sounded really good on 'ALS'. Lane had some great sounds on various albums.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mu wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
BTW, anyone have an idea what the heck he's doing there? How long has it been since we heard a new guitar album and wondered what the player is doing? I've been listening to 'Eric' over and over again. All the subtle inflections that you discover later are often as addicting as the obvious.

I think he's tapping onto the same note that he is hammering on to. So it would be like.

........t.p.h.p...........t..p..h...p...................t..p...h.p......
----7-8-7-8-7---10-11-10-11-10----7----8-10-8-10-8---11

(slide between the phrases)

As long as you get the timing right it sounds similar - probably wrong though?? Sorry for my crude tab, couldn't find a better way of posting it.

Great album though!! Very Happy

Thanks, but wouldn't you say the tapped notes trailing behind the main melody line are about an octave up?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new tunes we haven't really heard before are the ones I play over and over again: 'Uncle Skunk', 'Eric', 'Slidey Boy', and 'Hangover'. Actually Guthrie did play 'Hangover' at the show at TM on Jan 20, '05, but he played that whole song with a slide and volume swells on that one. That was really cool as well, but I like this studio version better. It's reminiscent of the classic Gary Moore power ballad (think 'Parisienne Walkways and 'The Loner') but with Guthrie's own twist. Yeah, it reminds you of the haze of the morning after, but somehow still conveys the thought that the night before was pretty happening... Wink

'Uncle Skunk' is certainly a cheeky tip of the hat to Vai, but I don't really see it as being "plagiarism" or anything like that. To me, besides some stylistic melodic nods, it still sounds very much like Guthrie - tone, phrasing, vibrato, choice of notes, etc. The more you listen, the more of Guthrie's own voice you will find.

I've already said enough about 'Eric', I think. It's definitely my all-around favorite of the new tunes. I know that it sounds very personal, but that's the thing about art. You can take it in and apply your own interpretation of what those melodies and the moods convey. I've probably listened to this tune about 20 times by now. Sometimes I think of what's going through Guthrie's mind and his heartfelt tribute to Eric. Sometimes I listen to it without any of that in mind - just as a piece of music on its own and what kinds of thoughts and feelings it conjures up in me. All I can say is that, to me, this tune has the most unexplainable depth. There's something timeless about it, kind of like being suspended in air and then being pushed around like a leaf by the wind.

'Slidey Boy' is the one that's been growing on me with repeated listenings. I can certainly relate to a tune like this as it's reminscent of one of my all-time fave musicians - Pat Metheny - with its Latin rhythmic underpinnings and Flamenco stylisms. It's certainly more challenging than the straight-ahead rock tunes. Reminds me of some Metheny, some latter-day McLaughlin, and a little bit of Paco DeLucia - all very much revered by Guthrie and legendary titans in contemporary modern music. What I also find cool about this tune is that it's got that rock guts to it and isn't fluffy or wimpy. And you also hear Guthrie's awe-inspiring proficiency on the nylon-string acoustic here. One of these days, I reckon that Guthrie will do an unplugged album and I'll look forward to it as much as anything he has ever done or will ever do. Yes, he is really that good on the acoustic - both steel-string and nylon-string.

Another interesting and fun bit on the liner notes that needs to be mentioned is about borrowing ideas from Mother Nature on 'Fives'. I really liked what Guthrie had to say about "shamelessly" stealing some musical ideas of birds singing to each other in the park one day. Guthrie continues on to say that Mother Nature will never take you to court for plagiarism and that means you could borrow freely from her with a clear conscience. Laughing Cool Nice, Guthrie, very nice...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
mu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Thanks, but wouldn't you say the tapped notes trailing behind the main melody line are about an octave up?

I just listned through a pair of headphones and you're definatley right - but i don't think all the tapped notes are an octave up. I'll have to give it a proper listen!! Hmm... ??
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Another interesting and fun bit on the liner notes that needs to be mentioned is about borrowing ideas from Mother Nature on 'Fives'. I really liked what Guthrie had to say about "shamelessly" stealing some musical ideas of birds singing to each other in the park one day. Guthrie continues on to say that Mother Nature will never take you to court for plagiarism and that means you could borrow freely from her with a clear conscience. Laughing Cool Nice, Guthrie, very nice...

Those sleeve notes are priceless. Most of all I like the fact that the controversy over the front cover is kinda referenced as soon as you lift out the CD and the reciept for the cover materials is there in the liner, with a note on the savings.

To me the whole thing smacks of ideas formed over a very long time all perfected and released when it was ready, this makes me wonder we can expect the next installment/fix Wink

I have the power!
markmcg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mu wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

I just listned through a pair of headphones and you're definatley right - but i don't think all the tapped notes are an octave up. I'll have to give it a proper listen!! Hmm... ??

Just had a listen, sounds like the tapped note octave up is followed by a very fast hammer-on/pull-off to the note to be slid to eg. using mu Tab (TM) Wink:

....s....t..p..h..p..s.......t..p..h..p...s.......t..p..h..p..s....t..p..h..p..s......
---/7--16-7-10-7/10--16-10-13-10/7--16-7-10-7/8--15-8-11-8/11

then next bar is:

.....s.....t..p...h...p...s.......t..p..h...p...s........t..p...h...p...s.......t..p...h...p..s......
---/13--19-13-16-13/16--19-16-19-16/13--19-13-16-13/11--18-11-15-11/15

etc.

A transcription of the whole lick can be nabbed here.

Such a fantastic piece of phrasing, which is something that stands out for me about the whole album. Amazing creativity and melodic ideas.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. That's what I thought. Like you said, it's the phrasing that's so cool and makes you think, "How did he come up with that?!?"
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I've been meaning to work it out since I heard the version on the Eric Roche tribute CD.

Cheers,
Alun
jordan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents.....

Firstly, I was almost nervous to hear this album(!). It's been such a long time coming, and I was starting to doubt if we'd ever hear it......but jeez, the very first listen set me straight!

- Waves is just a stunning piece of music. The production on this track alone is worth the cost of the CD.
- Eric is a great piece, and a fantastic tribute to Mr Roche.
- And something I haven't seen mentioned much here....Wonderful Slippery Thing!! The album version just sounds incredible. Maybe it's the context it's set in (surrounded by his other tunes), but for me it's a highlight of the album.

As a whole, I love it. The playing, the tones, and definitely the production are really top class. Guthrie has really delivered, and I hope this album brings him the recognition he deserves. To echo Adrian's comment....when's the next one coming out? Wink
mu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, that lick's been doing my head in, trying to workout where he is tapping up to.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off down to the Bassment this thursday with my CD, to see if Guth will sign it, then I can sell it on Ebay for squillions of dollars.....mwahahahahaaa! (or at the very least, see if I can weasel a drink out of Frankus Wink )

Sensational, fantastic, awe-inspiring, and basically, nothing less than what I expected. I've heard the Cakes play WST & Sevens live at Cornfords old stints down the Waterfront, but the rest of the album was most surprising.

Currently digging Ner Ner (EPIC TUNE!!), Eric (What a wonderful dedication to Eric Roche! THAT outro & progression is absolutely haunting, and Rhode Island Shred, with Bumblefoot - review of that tune can be summed up with the following emoticons: Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Cool

I read the cover-notes, and I'm begining to suspect that Frankus got mentioned as a get-out clause so that Guthrie wouldn't owe him a Stella... Laughing Laughing
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
I'm off down to the Bassment this thursday with my CD, to see if Guth will sign it, then I can sell it on Ebay for squillions of dollars.....mwahahahahaaa! (or at the very least, see if I can weasel a drink out of Frankus Wink )

Hmm, a beer for Trell... I might make another appearance. I also wondered about using ebay as a marketting tool. A couple of copies could wind up there to raise the profile a little. Maybe even tout them as genuine exquisit custom made CDs all the way from China.

I also wondered about leaving the copy bought from the Cornford site and seeing if Guthrie'd sign the cellophane casing.. so the CD inside can never be played Wink

trelloskilos wrote:
Sensational, fantastic, awe-inspiring, and basically, nothing less than what I expected. I've heard the Cakes play WST & Sevens live at Cornfords old stints down the Waterfront, but the rest of the album was most surprising.

Currently digging Ner Ner (EPIC TUNE!!), Eric (What a wonderful dedication to Eric Roche! THAT outro & progression is absolutely haunting, and Rhode Island Shred, with Bumblefoot - review of that tune can be summed up with the following emoticons: Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Cool

Is Eric the same beasty as Song For Eric on the For Eric CD? I'll find out tonight perhaps when I'm done boarding the loft out Sad

trelloskilos wrote:
I read the cover-notes, and I'm begining to suspect that Frankus got mentioned as a get-out clause so that Guthrie wouldn't owe him a Stella... Laughing Laughing

Crying or Very sad it's true... but I was walking on air for a couple of days. Remember Clarky talking to Satch at Hammersmith? It was a bit like that. I did get given a free copy Cool

I have the power!
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've witnessed the big fat greek get-together, and we've shared a few with Bowks, G_S & co. - this week, I've managed to persuade some members of my band to come down. I'm hoping to shut our drummer up for a few seconds by forcing him to witness Pete Riley. Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if Petes about, he wasn't at last weeks.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: