Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - All that jazz...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All that jazz...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill®

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: All that jazz... Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what Guthrie's primary musical direction will be as he gets older and keeps on playing. Personally I'm excited by the idea of him further developing his jazz chops. Certainly his rocky-fusiony orientated stuff is very cool, but for some reason the idea of Guthrie playing Afro Blue or jamming on The Chicken excites me SOOO much more (I haven't got the Fellowship DVD yet, so I'm still looking forward to hearing those two particular numbers).

What initially turned my earn to Guthrie wasn't his SICK TAPPING CHOPS (sick though they may be), but his clearly sophisticated ears and his harmonic literacy. His ability to play through changes is what most obviously differentiates him from other highly technically able guitarists.

So what does everyone else think? Do you want Guthrie to be releasing 'SHRED-CITATRON 4000! - GUTHRIE GOVAN'S FASTEST HITS!!!' when he's 60? Or be jamming with Pat Metheny on his own trio CD? (Which I assume would be at least fairly fast, if not leather-pants/"fucking fyoory!" fast.)

Last edited by bill® on Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right and you definitely need to get a copy of the Fellowship DVD because the playing on it is even "better" than on the CD's and the clinic DVD. The fact that he's playing with a live band is one factor, but the jazz factor is very evident in this video: just incredible improvisations throughout. That's really the exciting thing about Guthrie: his vast potential and what he'll be doing 5, 10, 20 or even 30 years from now. Who knows what new directions he'll have taken by then?

Yeah, when you see that the shredmeisters of the 80's have become parodies of themselves doing "reunion" kinds of tours playing with electric fans blowing their hair onstage and still wearing the same garb they wore when they weighed about 100 pounds less and just playing the same ole stuff, I take comfort in knowing that Guthrie will continually evolve and go in new exciting directions as the years go by.

I also believe that Guthrie will absorb and assimilate a lot of the World Music styles and musical concepts and influences from every corner of the globe. I saw Guthrie do some Indian raga kind of stuff on a Vigier fretless and it was really, really cool. There simply isn't a musical style that Guthrie is not into. He even loves cutting-edge electronica as well as country and blues and metal and every other genre you could think of. But I do agree that jazz (whatever that means these days) is still the largest platform for Guthrie to expand his musical ideas and visions.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie playing vocal-slidey stuff on a Vigier fretless? THAT SOUNDS SO UNBELIEVABLY SICK. I wonder if Guthrie knows much about Indian music (forms/talas etc...). Hmmmm!!! I think I'll post in the questions for Guthrie (#2) thread. That's a good 'un...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill® wrote:
Guthrie playing vocal-slidey stuff on a Vigier fretless? THAT SOUNDS SO UNBELIEVABLY SICK. I wonder if Guthrie knows much about Indian music (forms/talas etc...). Hmmmm!!! I think I'll post in the questions for Guthrie (#2) thread. That's a good 'un...

Yeah, I thought Guthrie playing the Vigier fretless alone at the clinic was actually the highlight of the night and for some reason it wasn't captured on video! Mad He pretty much did everything on it like he normally does on other guitars while keeping perfect intonation and then did Mississippi Delta Blues slide stuff and Indian sounding stuff that I thought were some of the most beautiful things I've heard or seen done on a guitar.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
chrisT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had lessons with Guthrie I can confirm he is a massive jazz fan. He was always very easy to distract if you wanted to talk about Pat Metheny, John Sco, Jaco etc and he knows all their tunes! Also the World music thing - I remember him being very excited about a jam he'd had with Talvin Singh!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisT wrote:

I remember him being very excited about a jam he'd had with Talvin Singh!

Please enlightene me on Talvin Singh! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
chrisT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Please enlightene me on Talvin Singh! Very Happy[/quote]

Don't know that much about him really. He won the Mercury Music prize a few years ago, fuses Indian music with electonic music i think. Apparently he's rythmically amazing. You can check his stuff out on amazon.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Talvin Singh is incredible and he seems to play numerous instruments ( guitar,piano,tabla, etc) stupidly well.

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Talvin Singh Reply with quote

Cool... I've got the "OK" album on order through Amazon. If anybody, including Guthrie, has any other recommendation, please let me know. Getting into some exotic stuff through this forum! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: