Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The US exchange rate makes Erotic Cakes slightly expensive.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The US exchange rate makes Erotic Cakes slightly expensive.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: The US exchange rate makes Erotic Cakes slightly expensive. Reply with quote

Too much money for any first offering - as much as I love Guthrie's playing and the great person he is. I wonder if he knows his American fans will be paying that much for his first release with the exchange?

Really dissapointed, as I was so much looking forward to this release after listining to the "terrible" clips of the "GPS" debut.

I know Guthrie is worth it, and I would really love to show support, but I just can't bring myself to pay so much over and above fair market value ($14.99 U.S. would have been fine) simply based on principal -- why am I posting this you ask? Just venting my dissapointment I guess.

The clips sound brilliant though (as if we didn't know they would)!
Resi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my calculations that'd be 24$ (using exchange rates as they are right now) with shipping included...
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$26 is below standard CD price in Norway. The cost also includes shipping, and this is Guthrie Govan after all, so I still don't see why so many Americans are complaining about the cost.
Dee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, $26 isn't so bad. I'm in the same country as the CD's are being sent from and over here it's £12.99, which, at the current exchange rate, works out at $24.43. I don't think you've got it too bad, really, but (no offense intended) Americans always want stuff dirt cheap, it's normal for them to complain all the time!

Rolling Eyes

My only complaint is I still haven't received the CD which I ordered 6 days ago, and as it's now the weekend, I won't get it until sometime next week.
Rickh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Erotic Cakes" $26 + Shipping in U.S. Currency Reply with quote

lewke wrote:
Too much money for any first offering - as much as I love Guthrie's playing and the great person he is. I wonder if he knows his American fans will be paying that much for his first release with the exchange?

Really dissapointed, as I was so much looking forward to this release after listining to the "terrible" clips of the "GPS" debut.

I know Guthrie is worth it, and I would really love to show support, but I just can't bring myself to pay so much over and above fair market value ($14.99 U.S. would have been fine) simply based on principal -- why am I posting this you ask? Just venting my dissapointment I guess.

The clips sound brilliant though (as if we didn't know they would)!

I find it hard to believe you're posting a thread on Guthrie's forum quibbling over a few dollars. Erotic Cakes is simply a work of art and you can't put a price on that.

On the subject of money, $25 is the going rate for ALL cds in the U.K and isn't really that bad for you considering there is no extra shipping cost.

You contradict yourself completely here. If you can't be bothered to buy the cd don't worry, maybe you'll have the chance to steal it on limewire sometime. I don't have a problem with your stance on this, but to waste a thread on Guthrie's forum with your hypocritical views is ignorant at best.

Now, back to the Erotic Cakes appreciation threads for me, with the rest of the genuine music lovers.
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should you guys have to pay less than the rest of us? I mean, honestly, it's a great album and it's not THAT much money.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were you thinking on spending that extra money on anyway? What is it that you can buy for those $10 bucks that is more important than Guthrie's CD?
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it like this, we have been spoiled with IMO quite possibly the best live guitar concerts ever recorded and how much did we pay? That's right a measly 8 bucks. Guthrie deserves my 25 dollars, and I would have happily paid more. I ordered my CD last Wednesday and I'm giddy like a schoolgirl in anticipation Very Happy
treeduck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Think about it like this, we have been spoiled with IMO quite possibly the best live guitar concerts ever recorded and how much did we pay? That's right a measly 8 bucks. Guthrie deserves my 25 dollars, and I would have happily paid more. I ordered my CD last Wednesday and I'm giddy like a schoolgirl in anticipation Very Happy

You are a schoolgirl aren't you?? You better be cos cheesecaker has had a crush on you for months, he's a schoolgirl maniac!!! Very Happy Laughing
Onion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much? not sure i know what that means really. Confused

this is the first cd ive bought in a long time, simply because most of the time there isnt anything being sold i want to spend money on. But when somthing this great comes along i will pay what ever i have to to get it, wether thats £12.99 or more! and screw the "going rate" this isnt britny spears after all. Laughing

*not that theres anything wrong with her music of course Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way. Once you "invest" in this album, you'll sell your last 10 instrumental albums and not buy another one until Guthrie's next, so you'll end up waaaaaay ahead financially in the long run. And on top of that, you'll realize that you can't put a "price" on a masterpiece of an art like this album. Since shipping is included in the cost, you're paying perhaps $7~8 extra, the cost of a cheap junk food meal. Come on, you can give up a meal of burger and fries for Guthrie, can't ya? Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have bought the album if it had been £25, (maybe more) yes I can be exploited when it comes to great albums... Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:

(no offense intended) Americans always want stuff dirt cheap, it's normal for them to complain all the time!

Rolling Eyes

Well, being that I'm an American and somewhat of a businessman, I'm inclined to agree. I've done a lot of business on behalf of Fender in Asia and the Asian companies always complained to me of Americans being like some flea-market bargain hunters compared to their European and Japanese customers. I understand that it's all relative and that $25 (including shipping and handling) is about 50% more than what you'd normally pay from Amazon or wherever for a CD, but applying that logic to this instance seems somewhat unreasonable.

America is the country of WalMart, Costco, McDonalds, and, of course, Guitar Center, etc. - it's all about offering "bargains" while still making a fat profit off whatever they're selling. American consumers are conditioned by this prevailing trend of big corporations giving them good "deals" - inflate the list price and give them half off, let them feel like they're getting a good deal even if they're getting hosed. This is a tough place to do business. People want to feel like they're getting a bargain when they spend their money. And then they love to tell others what a good deal they got, whether it's their house, a car, or a new boutique amp... Of course, you see that constantly on the gear forums: "I just got a great deal on this new amp! I didn't really need this amp as I have so many other good ones, but I just couldn't turn down this deal." Yeah, okay, just talk about the amp, will ya?...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try being Australian..... Rolling Eyes

it's about $35 in Australian dollars.
Alun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately (and apologies to any Americans I may upset here who aren't complaining about the price), this is the same attitude as the people who write to British magazines complaining the adverts don't show prices in dollars.

Think of all the money you're saving on fuel Wink

Cheers,
Alun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: