Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Favourite album moment?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite album moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Favourite album moment? Reply with quote

This could be an interesting thread....it may highlight parts of the album that we hadn't individually picked up on yet.

What's your ONE favourite 'moment' on the Erotic Cakes album?

For me, it's the lick that starts at 0:49 into Waves. There's only 10 notes or so there, but the change of tone/mood/direction it brings is just magic.

Your turn....
wuc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky rhythmic shift in 'Ner Ner' at 07:39.
hecanrock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree WUC that rhythmic shift is awesome.

I also love in Ner Ner when the Bach-esque section after RK's solo comes back into the following heavier section at 3:02 (ish), which also has some great breaks in it.

I also love the heavy section that comes in 3:02 in Sevens (odd that both of my choices come in at 3:02!). The insanely long palm muted harmonics section finishes and then this massive rock moment happens, the bass doubles every note and then GG launches into a solo with the most amazing tone.

Looking back, I suppose I like the moments of contrast between dark and light in GG's music.

The problem with most instrumental rock albums is that they are normall so linear and have no contrasts, it's just all one level. But EC has so much variation.
wuc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecanrock wrote:

Looking back, I suppose I like the moments of contrast between dark and light in GG's music.

Absolutely...and none of it sounds forced.
Respect throughout to the awesome rhythm section.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the slurry tappy bit in Eric for me Very Happy Or the Bach-ish bass towards the end of Eric.

Or just "Eric". I do like that song

Alun
Callan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i shouldn't but i love the panned bass moment in 'Uncle Skunk'
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is like picking out from an embarrassment of riches, but for me, it's still the first solo of 'Waves'. It's such a powerful and overwhelming solo. That solo should be called the 'Tsunami'. It makes a statement about who Guthrie is a musician/player and where he is going. It sets the tone for the entire album - that it's going to be a relentless onslaught of great music, phenomenal playing, amazing stylistic diversity, top-notch production, splendid guitar tones, etc.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Steve-O

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its hard for me to pick out just one section but I'll have to say the whole song of "Waves". It's so epic.. and awesome.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clean solo in Ner Ner at 3:32. I love the short little sequences sprayed throughout as well as how the entire solo is very dynamic, yet very mellow.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to it a few times I can say that every track has something unique and mind blowing to offer. One thing I really liked was the solo in Uncle Skunk, I've seen people say that the song is too Vai-ish, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and I really don't care for Vai at all. The blistering speed burst at a minute and something into Sevens is absolutely insane. I'm going to have to buy another CD for backup purposes because I can see myself rewinding the shit out of parts til its not playable anymore.

Ner Ner is such an epic track, Guthrie's imagery guideline for the track couldn't have been said better

Nothing I've heard that I really dislike or wish was different

I'm very happy to finally hear Guthrie with great production! Kudos to Mr. Cyrka
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ner Ner's outro solo has really grown on me and I can now say that I prefer it over the version on the '04 clinic DVD. That DVD version was truly insane and watching that in person sealed my fate to be a lifelong GG freak, but there's more maturity and spontaneity on the CD version and, of course, the tone and production are truly superior as well. Also, as I described on a new thread I started, there's that Asian quality in his phrasing that I can't quite pinpoint but is unique and easily noticeable.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: