Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Creative Guitar 1: Cutting Edge Technique
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creative Guitar 1: Cutting Edge Technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
right_to_rage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Creative Guitar 1: Cutting Edge Technique Reply with quote

I want to hear about other peoples experiences when working through this book. Who has done it?

I ask because I've owned the book for a while, and I've really wanted to learn its contents. The problem I'm having i guess is the memorizing and actually internalizing all of the concepts. What did you guys do to memorize things like chord and scale structures, or the notes on the neck? Plus arpeggios and all the rest of that stuff. I just sit down sometimes to try and start, and its just overwhelming!

I can read music fluently and have been playing classical and electric guitar for like 10 years, but ive only gotten so far on the basics, a good ear, and technique. I just want to expand my vocabulary big time. To understand all of the concepts in the book (been playing for like ever lol) and how they can relate to me and my playing. How should I internalize this crazyness!?
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u have to narrow it down. start with a small area and focus on that. divide your practice time between different focus areas. it just takes time.

don't try to do it all, but try to fihure out what 's most important to you, musically, and what's worthwhile in the long run.

don't spend too much time with excercises and patterns and stuff. play music instead, and most importantly: transcribe stuff you like or want to emulate.

right_to_rage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way man, I dont belive that i cant learn it all. Honestly if guthrie can than i can. Shocked
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right_to_rage wrote:
No way man, I dont belive that i cant learn it all. Honestly if guthrie can than i can. Shocked

Guthrie learnt it all, over a summer holiday, when he was 5 - even he had to pace himself. It wasn't till he was seven that he got his first break.. a record producer for Geffen got lost and wound up outside Guthrie's bedroom and heard the sweet sweet music.. since then it's been stadiums, fast cars and wall-to-wall poontang.

No ... wait a minute that ain't right.

Creative Guitar books dip into 30+ years experience of playing guitar to provide insight into techniques Guthrie thinks might be useful in playing or understanding; perhaps as a teacher at BIMM - he might know what the students struggle with?

If Guthrie can take 30 years, you might be able to do it in less... do what? Is Guthrie just the contents of the book or is that an aspect of him? Why should you need to do everything he has? What are you trying to prove to yourself?

I think Sumis is right - music and transcription. I'd add gigging: play simple stuff at a gig and get more complex, get used to performing at the same time you learn the techniques - or you may end up too nervous to play infront of people without being "perfect".

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
I'd add gigging [...]

gigging, forgot about that. haven't really gotten into it, since i really want work on my five octave sweep arpeggios first and foremost. gigging is probably great for those who are into it, but i don't play gigging as much as shred and bluegrass.

got any recommendations for good gigging cd's to check out?

frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant giggling... lots, like a girl - if I'd been smoking what you'd been smoking Wink you nutter (as we say in Essex).

For gigging I guess the seminal works are Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere, The Man from Utopia, You can't do that on stage series... maybe one of the early Malmsteen gigs where he didn't realise he was playing so fast it made kids heads explode - that had a profound effect on David Cronenbourg.

In terms of individual performers any footage of Miles Davis except for Berlin 1st November '85 - are text-book approaches on how to interact with your audience if you are a genius virtuoso come to cast pearls before swine.

I have the power!
Scias

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right_to_rage wrote:

You can, but it'll take a long time.

I've gone through Cutting Edge techniques and Advanced techniques books. To be honest I never bothered remembering anything unless there was a cool lick that i wanted to remember. I guess I used it as a guitar workout which loosened up my fingers AND my mind. I sat with my guitar going through all the lessons which I only remember a couple of. But when I completed the book I remember just being a much better player in general. I guess it just inspired me really. And eliminated some bad habits I had with fretting and stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: