Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Strings...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strings...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AML wrote:
dreamfullofzen wrote:
some people still play on .9s... depends on the guitar.. most Ibanez guitars don't feel right with .10s... the trems don't handle it and the frets get torn to pieces....

That's very true. I use 9-46 on two of my Ibanez's because of the floating trem. You'll find most people on either Jemsite or the Ibanez forum all use 9's for this reason. On the hardtail i use 10-46, gives it a fuller tone.

But doesn't Vai use 10's on most of his Jems?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
AML wrote:
dreamfullofzen wrote:
some people still play on .9s... depends on the guitar.. most Ibanez guitars don't feel right with .10s... the trems don't handle it and the frets get torn to pieces....

That's very true. I use 9-46 on two of my Ibanez's because of the floating trem. You'll find most people on either Jemsite or the Ibanez forum all use 9's for this reason. On the hardtail i use 10-46, gives it a fuller tone.

yes steve vai uses 10's (ernie ball greens) on his guitars... i use 10's(DR) as well on my guitar (ibanez prestige) ...10's actually sounds much better tonewise and feel, but it wears out the fret quite fast specially doing vibratos with your wrist and finger, i think it depends on the fret wires if its sturdy or solid enough...

hey alex you work for suhr guitars... do you know how much it cost for refretting the neck, you know like changing the fret wire with an after-market ones???... mine are so worn out and i just wanna go and get it refretted but i don't have any idea about fret wires..what do you think is best to replace the ibanez prestige stock frets??? they just say jumbo ...but i saw the specs from the jem guitars it has some kind of a brand of frets, so that means they're not the same as the stock prestige frets...maybe they're after-market and much better quality frets aye???
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got stainless steel frets on my suhr, and i'm really happy with them. looks brand new polished all the time and has a great slinky feel. they don't seem to wear at all -- although i've only played it for a year. i'd love to have tall/wide stainless on my shredding axe (a hamer californian with a floyd) since the dunlop wire i use on that (i've used 6100 and 6000) really wears out pretty fast with tens. i play pretty hard as well. find a place with a plek machine that does stainless and you'll be a happy puppy!

AML

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
AML wrote:
dreamfullofzen wrote:

Yep he does. But as Paolo_Angelo said, fretware can need doing more often, which in the case of cost in Australia, can be anywhere from $300 -$500 depending on how much work needs doing. Since i'm not a rich person, i tend to favour using 9's and lose some tone and have the frets last longer. Smile
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap AML! that is expensive!!! Shocked because i live in New Zealand..at least now i know how much it could cost me to refret my guitar...

sumis...what's a plek machine???
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo_Angelo wrote:
sumis...what's a plek machine???

ed's really the one to answer that, but it's basically a computerized scanning/levelling tool/system that scans the fretboard and levels the fret with the strings under tension. makes it possible to consistently make as perfect fretjobs as possible. it's allows for exact levelling down to .01 mm. u can also store your guitar's specific data for future setups, relevelling or fretchanges whatever. i'm not a techhead, just a user, so you'd better go to: http://plek.com/

there is a new thread on hri that covers it (one of many), where john suhr gives a good basic explanation: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=31788&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Dee

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamfullofzen wrote:

But .10s are where it's at...

i use Dean Markley Signature series... for me they're great.. sound good and last a fair good time. i don't like coated strings.. they tend to have a slightly toppier sound...

and as for D'ddarios... those things go black on me after i've tuned up..... Laughing

You're right man. I'm an Ibanez user and I never got on with 10's, though I do prefer them on other guitars, an Ibanez just never seem to feel at it's best with 10's. You are also right about D'Addario's -- I used XL120's for 20+ years, then the last 3 sets I bought went black after a matter of hours. They also left dark stains on the frets! Yuck. That was enough to make me switch. I chose DR Hi Beams and couldn't be happier. These are GREAT strings, last ages, and they seem to have more "bend-ability" if you know what I mean. They are a bit less harsh on the hands, too.

Regarding Vai's strings, I heard that he uses 9's when he begins a tour and then switches to 10's at the point where his hands feel at their strongest.
phil_b

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats depressing is when Brett Garsed came to England i was chatting to him about strings and he said he uses guage 11 with a high action just to slow him down a bit so he could play more melodically. I imagine most of us would love to be able to play like Brett with a low action and guage 7 strings but he likes to make it hard for himself.
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR strings are the best strings i've ever played..they lasted the longest for me.. it lasted me for 3 months, and i play and practice everyday for hours and hours.i love abusing the strings and never give in..but oh well i got 7 sets of ernie ball now for the reason of finding this web based music shop that sells ernie balls for a ridiculously cheap price... i saved quite a lot of money though..lol....
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Elixir polywebs, the 10's. I love 'em. They last forever and keep the tone of a new set of strings for quite some time
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AML wrote:
dreamfullofzen wrote:

I use .010s on my Ibanezes - an EX Series with a Floyd-licensed trem, and an S470 with ZR trem - and I've never had any problems.

"Kelly has a fabulous sense of melody.."- Michael Molenda, Guitar Player magazine

"Much better songwriting than most instrumental stuff out there." - Dave Weiner (Steve Vai band)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: