Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Originality & Uniqueness Factor
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Originality & Uniqueness Factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edovinus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie has his own style and a very distinguishable voice imo. His choice of notes, the way he phrases and his sound: it's clear it's Guthrie when you hear him. All the comparisons to other players seem unfounded and make me wonder if these people have ever actually listened to GG's playing or (more importantly) his music.

I understand that Uncle Skunk reminds people of Steve Vai a bit. Is that a bad thing? Quite a bit of Vai's work is reminiscent of Frank Zappa's music if you ask me. As long as there is no blatant plagiarism, it shouldn't be a big deal.

What really makes Guthrie stand out imo is his writing and his compositions, that's what makes Guthrie's music his music. I can honestly say that there's nothing out there that reminds me of Erotic Cakes, Ner Ner, Fives or Sevens. The fact that he can embellish those compositions with stellar playing puts GG heads and shoulders above anyone else as far as I'm concerned.
bluesbreaker41

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they do say that immitation is the greatest form of flattery and I think Erotic Cakes tips its hat to several of Guthrie's influences. Let's be honest, Steve Vai is one of the most enduring and instantly recognisable exponents of extreme guitar, and being as Guthrie grew up on a strict diet of Flexable Leftovers - there's bound to be some Vai coming through, it's rather like genetics.

IMO, and for what it's worth (not much if you ask my wife), there are few players who could put together such a diverse and stylistically varied collection of songs as Erotic Cakes and actually make it work. For those of us familiar with his music, Guthrie's style could be picked out in a line up of 1,000's and yet we can't accurately define what makes it so. That's enough to warp your mind but it's a view we all seem to share.

If I had to attempt a description i'd admittedly struggle, but for me there's something about the way Guthrie does that aggressive rake and bend up that's truly unique and always seems to jump out at me. Check out sevens at 00.47, for example!

OK i'll shut up now Embarassed
axisus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edovinus wrote:
Guthrie has his own style and a very distinguishable voice imo. His choice of notes, the way he phrases and his sound: it's clear it's Guthrie when you hear him. All the comparisons to other players seem unfounded and make me wonder if these people have ever actually listened to GG's playing or (more importantly) his music.

I understand that Uncle Skunk reminds people of Steve Vai a bit. Is that a bad thing? Quite a bit of Vai's work is reminiscent of Frank Zappa's music if you ask me. As long as there is no blatant plagiarism, it shouldn't be a big deal.

What really makes Guthrie stand out imo is his writing and his compositions, that's what makes Guthrie's music his music. I can honestly say that there's nothing out there that reminds me of Erotic Cakes, Ner Ner, Fives or Sevens. The fact that he can embellish those compositions with stellar playing puts GG heads and shoulders above anyone else as far as I'm concerned.

You said it all.

I was trying to get my answer clear in my head until I read this post!
Jezfender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Uniqueness Reply with quote

The bottom line is that Guthrie Govan is one of the most original guitar players I have heard for years. So many styles and so individual.

Any player is bound to have influences and some of their playing is bound to hint of someone else, as how does a guitarist learn to play in the 1sr place ? By experimentation and by listening to other great guitarists and early on attempting to replicate other players licks etc.

However for someone to refer to Guthrie is a "Via clone" is more than a tad harsh. I am bound to upset all those Via fanatics on here, but the few times I have listened or watched Stevie Via, whilst he is the most incredibly fast and technically profficient guitar player, he did not grab my attention as I found his playing a little too mechanical and I prefer something a little more meaningful, melodic, and original. There is more to playing than simply shredding the fretboard !

I really did find Guthrie Govan's playing at Music live to be great to listen to as well as being technically incredible. The guy is clearly a gifted genius and I had not seen anything quite like it. Even my 13 year old daughter was impressed (although she is learning the guitar so would have appreciated his playing)!!

Jez
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee wrote:
Sorry, I didn't find the PM until you mentioned it. I rarely check my inbox over here, but I just replied. Smile

You've got mail, in case you forgot. Wink
Dee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED.

Last edited by Dee on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just post the links here, without my elaborate wordings contained in the email.

www.myspace.com/octoberthorns
www.myspace.com/joechawki
Dee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED.

Last edited by Dee on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveUK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guthries sound and style is very original. Ture he has a lot of facets to his playing, but I find that refreshing that no two tunes on EC sound alike. You know you're giong to get something different wth every track. A lot of other instrumentalist guitar players tend to repeat themselves a lot.
I don't hear the comparisons with Vai. True Guthrie uses some trademark Vai techniques, but then most guitar players do, Vai is one of the most influential players on the plannet.
The thing I love about Guthrie is that you could drop him in just about any musical situ and he'd fit right in, and astound everyone around him with his ability. How many other guitarists could do that? Thats something original in itself.
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny how other people call themselves musicians yet their minds are actually very narrow ... guthrie a vai clone??? ... therefore vai a frank zappa clone... if i simplify vai's style, he's like the modern virtuosic frank zappa..specially with his phrasing and i mean that as a compliment... and i wouldn't describe him as 'CLONE' because he is who he is... and that goes the same with Guthrie but the difference is, Guthrie's style is just too broad to just simplify it into one word or phrase, and that doesn't just go for his techniques but also the songwriting, tone, imagination, creativity, etc. etc. ... BUT the funny thing is... whatever he plays its still Guthrie and he's not boring... anyway i think people try to pigeon-hole Him because maybe they were caught off-guard and felt nervously threatened that their 'guitar God' is gonna fall off the high chair.. and yadda blah blah blah ...you know wot i mean..

but for me in general ... Guthrie Govan is like a breathe of fresh air!! Wink i dont really care about other things because he's already got his signature uniqueness that's instantly recognizable irregardless of the genre.. no need to look for a phrase or word to describe(it'll only make you go nuts/psycho!!!)... LISTENING is all it takes to know its the 3G (Great Guthrie Govan) Laughing Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: