Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie on Acoustic?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie on Acoustic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Guthrie on Acoustic? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm playing devil's advocate a little here, so humour me if necessary...

So, I've seen the DVDs, studied from his books, read the magazine columns, and seen him play live.....there's no doubt Mr. Govan is an extraordinary electric player, with few equals. Period.

But how's the acoustic playing?
I've heard Guthrie is a fan of (the incredible) Thomas Leeb and he mentions Michael Hedges et al in his books, which shows at the very least an appreciation for this style of music which is miles away from electric playing. I'm not talking about "clapton acoustic" (playing strat licks on a Martin does not make you Pierre Bensusan!), but the "real" acoustic wizards like Bensusan, Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel etc...

So, in a fairly open question (to Guthrie, even!), is there any evidence of Guthrie indulging in this style of playing? A twisted part of me almost hopes he can't, cos that would make me sick if he could do what he does on electric AND be a great acoustic player Wink

Discuss.....

ps. I'm going to a Thomas Leeb 3-hour masterclass on Sunday, followed by a gig from him....I'm more than a little excited! Very Happy
Duncan M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie Govan on an acoustic is pretty damn formidable. A few years back, he transcribed Tuck Andress' version of Man In The Mirror for Guitar Techniques magazine, and played it on the accompanying cd. It is with no exaggeration that I tell you his version is even cleaner and grooves harder than Tuck's. It's staggering. I've never heard Guthrie play acoustic with a plectrum, but his fingerstyle is easily as polished as all other facets of his playing.

Dammit. Sad
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Guthrie ripped it up on the acoustic as well as he does on the electric although I'm sure he'd probably need to work up to it for a bit. He mentioned that all he has is an old beat-up Takamine nylon-string Spanish (classical) guitar. I'm sure he'd more than hold his own in a duo or trio format like Strunz & Farah and McLaughlin, DiMeola & DeLucia. His technique (both the right-hand and left-hand) is so precise and that he plays with so much conviction, I'm sure he'd make the adjustment well. I'm sure he'll be doing some incredible acoustic work in the future as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan M wrote:
Guthrie Govan on an acoustic is pretty damn formidable. A few years back, he transcribed Tuck Andress' version of Man In The Mirror for Guitar Techniques magazine, and played it on the accompanying cd. It is with no exaggeration that I tell you his version is even cleaner and grooves harder than Tuck's. It's staggering. I've never heard Guthrie play acoustic with a plectrum, but his fingerstyle is easily as polished as all other facets of his playing.

Dammit. Sad

I heard that and it's great. I think the overall acoustic guitar tone is a little thin, but that probably had to do with production time constraints. I wonder if Guthrie would sit in with Thomas Leeb and Eric Roche when they open up for Guthrie here in January?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Will

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone create an mp3 link to it at all?

A mate of mine used to have an old cassette with Guthries version of man in the mirror, and his guitarist of the year live performance. Also on the tape was Dave Kilminsters live performance at GOTY
EricT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear that as well! I love that tune(Tuck Andress' version, mind you, not Michael Jackson's Smile )
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have the clip (as well as a bunch of others from past issues of GT), but I'm waiting to get permission from Guthrie (and or GT) to post them. Perhaps you guys could petition here to Guthrie to let me start posting these killer clips?

"Guthrie, pretty PLEASE!!!" Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie, please... let us hear these clips!!! Surprised
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question (actually two) about in Guthrie's version of "Man in the Mirror" and this thread seems like as good a place as any to drop 'em...

#1: In some old thread (can't find it using the search), someone mentioned the Power Tab transcription of MiM which I found and am working on. They also mentioned that there were errors in the intro of the PowerTab. Anyone know where those errors are? I didn't catch them.

#2: Can someone tell me what the heck is happening starting in measure 83 (the walkup from Ab to Eb in the last part of the song)? The transcription shows that everything except the bass notes is also sounded simultaneously an octave above where it's fretted. The high notes are clear when listening to him play it. Is he right-hand tapping each chord 12 frets up? Yikes! If that is the case, it's a tricky move since it requires 3-4 tapping fingers to nail the chord, and it's obviously tapped hard and clean. Any tips?

Bert
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bert,

I'll try and answer your questions:

#1: Although the Power Tab does indicate the right notes, there's a much easier fingering available for the intro:
Start with x-x-x-12-12-10, then move to x-x-x-11-10-10.
Then I think x-x-x-9-8-10, followed by x-x-12-11-10-10.
These need to be arpeggiated, but should give you some idea. I seem to remember the Power Tab indicating harmonics stretched over several frets.

#2: Guthrie (or Tuck, on the original) is slapping the harmonics "roughly"
12 frets above the average node point. What this means is that, for example on the x-4-3-4-3-3 chord, he slaps around the 15/16th fret. I see your point about more than one finger being needed, but when you play it this way you simply slap one finger (typically middle) down across the average 12-fret distance. This will produce some harmonics and some regular notes, but the effect is all the same. It takes some practise, but will sound great and can be used in almost any situation Wink

Good luck, I hope that made some sense.
Jordan.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,
Thanks a LOT for the tips. The harmonics in the intro weren't happening for me: combination of the 5-fret stretch (10 to 14) and the fact that they were tricky harmonic nodes to begin with. I'll try your fingering instead. Plus that tapping thing was driving me nuts. I've been trying to tap the exact fingerings, and, well, it was very frustrating. Now at least I know what it is I'm trying to do!
Cheers,
Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: