Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Do you play?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Do you play?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Do you play? Reply with quote

Just a general question for my fellow SRV fans out there. How many of you play the guitar. Im just curious if more of the people that like him play themselves as we know just how skilled he was. run with me on this one.....

I play, and from the first time I ever heard a SRV song, which BTW was after his death, I was hooked. I just wish there was more of it around to listen too..

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play, I'm a Blues/Rock guitar player, I have a Blues band we play out a couple times month and were working on a CD.

Redhouse
reidiz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play too, although I've only been playing for a year or so (i'm 15, so not that good).
It was Stevie that got me interested in it, after hearing 'rude mood' I just wanted to play!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you play? Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
Just a general question for my fellow SRV fans out there. How many of you play the guitar. Im just curious if more of the people that like him play themselves as we know just how skilled he was. run with me on this one.....

I play, and from the first time I ever heard a SRV song, which BTW was after his death, I was hooked. I just wish there was more of it around to listen too..

Hawk

i play. i just got signed to EMI/Blue Note records. All thanks to Stevie!!!

check out my stuff (kinda old but soon to be updated) at www.vinceesquire.com or www.myspace.com/vinceesquire
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85, I checked out your site and music, it's very cool.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
bluz_playa85, I checked out your site and music, it's very cool.

Redhouse

thanks bro! like i said, it's all because of Stevie.
Johnny Riz

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh yeah Cool

.....holdin' down the low end on all the SRV stuff....

"...I am by no means wise or special. I'm just like everyone else - trying to get through life leaving a little more than I take." - Tommy Shannon
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I play the guit-fiddle...

Our band plays out 3-4 times a month, give or take. Kind of chilled on the SRV stuff, used to be about 60% of the set list, now its more like 10-15%. Every song has an SRV type flavor to it though, thats the style that I copied...lol.
timsalive

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Struggling Reply with quote

Hey all, Havent been here in a while. The question was who plays. Well I struggle to play. Last year I finally broke down and bought a realy guitar. Now I am 44 with my 4th daughter on the way. My six year old is getting a guitar for her 7th birthday. She loves playing on mine. (american strat hwy) She gets the mini squier strat. Many will say to start her on a full size accoustic. I too should start on an accoustic. But my reason for playing or trying is not to be in a band and make an album. Oops cd. My reason is for expression of my soul to those in my family. I want them to feel the passion I have for music. They will all play the piano and have choices of drums and guitars.

I have read many posts on the site with such ego and bravado. I cant remember a time when Stevie was full of ego. Maybe in his drinking times but I think it wasnt the real SRV. I have seen many of the greats in small places and big places. I have seen many many talented guys who have no desire to make it big and sign the big contract. They are out playing. They are the next greats even if they never make it big.

Respect for other guitarists is what SRV was about. People saying ERic Clapton sucks is disrespectful. If he sucks so much why has he lsted so long? Why do others want to play with him. Why did Duane Allman revere him?

I saw Clapton Beck and Page on stage together back in the early 80's. Eric was on fire and Jeff and Jimmy knew it. Every dog has his day. My plea to those who reas this is to stop talking the crap and discuss the good.

I recently saw a show in San Diego with Marcus Eaton and then Tim Reynolds. Not what I normally see or listen. But what I saw that night from Marcus Eaton was the passion of a 24 year kid who reminded me of the passion of my Hero Stevie. HE had the chops of greatness in his genre. Dont get stuck in your self. Expand your music.

By the way anyone catch Los Lonely Boys on tour? Very clean and very tight. Family style to me.

Tim
hawk5211

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling Reply with quote

timsalive wrote:
Hey all, Havent been here in a while. The question was who plays. Well I struggle to play. Last year I finally broke down and bought a realy guitar. Now I am 44 with my 4th daughter on the way. My six year old is getting a guitar for her 7th birthday. She loves playing on mine. (american strat hwy) She gets the mini squier strat. Many will say to start her on a full size accoustic. I too should start on an accoustic. But my reason for playing or trying is not to be in a band and make an album. Oops cd. My reason is for expression of my soul to those in my family. I want them to feel the passion I have for music. They will all play the piano and have choices of drums and guitars.

I have read many posts on the site with such ego and bravado. I cant remember a time when Stevie was full of ego. Maybe in his drinking times but I think it wasnt the real SRV. I have seen many of the greats in small places and big places. I have seen many many talented guys who have no desire to make it big and sign the big contract. They are out playing. They are the next greats even if they never make it big.

Respect for other guitarists is what SRV was about. People saying ERic Clapton sucks is disrespectful. If he sucks so much why has he lsted so long? Why do others want to play with him. Why did Duane Allman revere him?

I saw Clapton Beck and Page on stage together back in the early 80's. Eric was on fire and Jeff and Jimmy knew it. Every dog has his day. My plea to those who reas this is to stop talking the crap and discuss the good.

I recently saw a show in San Diego with Marcus Eaton and then Tim Reynolds. Not what I normally see or listen. But what I saw that night from Marcus Eaton was the passion of a 24 year kid who reminded me of the passion of my Hero Stevie. HE had the chops of greatness in his genre. Dont get stuck in your self. Expand your music.

By the way anyone catch Los Lonely Boys on tour? Very clean and very tight. Family style to me.

Tim

My thoughts exactly on the Eric Clapton issue, and I personally believe that insulting someones guitar playing just because you don't like their genre of music is very lame. For example i dont particularly care for the music of yngwie malmsteen, but i will still respect his obvious skill and dedication. Thanks for the thoughts Tim!

Hawk

PS: The Los Lonely boys have some real talent going on, and although i din't think it sounded all that great at first, after listening a while i have come to enjoy their music.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Los Lonely Boys are one of the best bands out right now and Henry really nails that SRV guitar style, better anyone who has come around since Stevie. I saw Henry play Pride and Joy and you would swear it was Stevie. Voodoo Child, Superstition, Scuttle Buttin', Henry nails everyone of them. If you get a chance to see them live, you have to go. You see Henry play Onda, Cotton Field and Crossroads and you get to experience a young Strat Master and their one of the very few new bands with a unique sound all their own. They have a new album coming out on July 18th called Sacred and I have heard it and it's good.

Redhouse
Deezer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Joe Bonamassa over Los Lonely Boys. Can play any style of blues and other styles as well, country chicken-pickin', ect, great vocals, good songwriter. Just me though. I may be comparing apple to oranges. Los Lonely Boys are good too, I plan on picking up Sacred when it's released.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Joe Bonamassa, I'm going to the CD release party on the 6th.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deezer wrote:
I'll take Joe Bonamassa over Los Lonely Boys. Can play any style of blues and other styles as well, country chicken-pickin', ect, great vocals, good songwriter. Just me though. I may be comparing apple to oranges. Los Lonely Boys are good too, I plan on picking up Sacred when it's released.

even though he's a little older, i'd take Chris Duarte over both of em. Can play blues like stevie and jazz like coltrane.
Deezer

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duarte's really good, finally saw him live earlier this month in Tulsa. I own all his cds as I do Joe's. I think Joe can sing better though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: