Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Dumble Steel String Singer

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Dumble Steel String Singer

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Dumble Steel String Singer Reply with quote

So we know Stevie used a bunch of different amps to achieve the tone that makes our collective spine tingle. As his career progressed so did his taste for amps, branching from Super Reverbs to Vibroverbs to Marshalls and Vibatones. As such, we have been looking for ways to emulate that sound in our own music.

Thanks to E Bay, finding models similar to the amps Stevie used is relatively easy, albeit expensive. However, there is one type of amp I haven’t been able to find—the Dumble Steel String Singer. This became the corner stone of Vaughan’s sound at the later stages of his all too short career. It was featured prominently in Double Trouble’s second appearance at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

The sound that this amplifier produces simply cannot be duplicated by any of the amplifiers I have tested. There are Dumble clones on the market, like K&M, Fuchs, Bruno, that are exquisite instruments in their own right but they have been modeled largely on the Dumble Overdrive Special.

I put it to you out there, where in God’s green goodness can I find a Steel String Singer clone? Are there any companies I have missed? Am I putting too much stock into this amp? Let’s do this.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its worth thinking about guys who get very close; I think a Super Reverb cranked up, or any loud fender amp will get you there. He didn’t use the dumble very long – it was replaced by a 200w Marshall.

I read that he used the Marshall for clean, and the Fenders for his dirty tone!

Incidentally, I think it was only exclusively used on his first album; the rest were combinations, and I don't think he used one on 'In Step'. The Dumble was actually designed for a Pedal Steel guitar.
txbluesinva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, my favorite amp, the SSS. Stevie Ray Vaughan recorded 'Texas Flood' using Jackson Browne's Dumble Dumbleland bass amp and loved the tone so much taht he had to have one. SRV got in contact with Howard Dumble and ordered his first Steel String Singer. He began using the Steel String Singer in 1983 and continued using it in his Wall of Tone, except for a few short periods, until his death. It is definitely not a cranked Fender tone, but a pure as pure can be clean machine. SRV had it made so that even cranked to 10 - which would kill people, it was 150 watt amp - it would still be perfectly clean. He used Marshall Majors along with his Steel String Singers when he needed more volume.
The Steel String Singer, like other Dumbles, is quite "mystical", but in reality, it isn't an incredibly original design. It's apparently a Fender Twin Reverb preamp with an Ampeg SVT poweramp. Two Rock made the Sterling Signature which is a SSS copy. Unfortunately there are only 10 and I don't figure on anyone selling their's any time soon. Another way you could go would be to buy a Blackface Twin Reverb, original and handwired, and replace the 6L6 power tubes with 6550's. That would get you close to a Steel String Singer like tone.
I always love topics about Dumbles and amplifiers in general. Thanks for the topic.

http://www.myspace.com/tbluesmaxwell

Missin' you Stevie, 16 years...
txbluesinva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6550's in a Twin Reverb Reissue should work, but I'd check with a local amp tech to make sure that the transformers can handle the extra current from the more powerful tubes. The sound will be cleaner and louder and may not overdrive at all, even at 10.

http://www.myspace.com/tbluesmaxwell

Missin' you Stevie, 16 years...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: