Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - "Crossfire" - SRV tribute band - chk this out.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

"Crossfire" - SRV tribute band - chk this out.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Riz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: "Crossfire" - SRV tribute band - chk this out..... Reply with quote

http://members.cox.net/alani1/index.html

You can down load video's and MP3's of their 4 day stint in Las Vegas.

I had the pleasure of seeing them last Sunday nite at a private party held in a small coffee house....

and I have to say that if you are like me and never got the chance to see SRV live...this is absolutely the closest thing to it... like one of the reviews say at the site, if your at the bar and you're not facing the band...you'd think it was SRV & DT.

These guys are a professional grade act.....for sure.

"...I am by no means wise or special. I'm just like everyone else - trying to get through life leaving a little more than I take." - Tommy Shannon
Angelic Layer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, he does looks like SRV!
Johnny Riz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he kinds does....

I want to also say that Alan made no bones at the start of the set about saying that He is not trying to pretend that he is Stevie, and this is Stevie's music and that the visuals are for the audience's enjoyment only.

....and from what I've heard he does not go around in his daily life wearing SRV's hat....thank god!!!

As a bassist for 28 yrs myself, I have to say that the musicianship of these guys certianly does Stevie's music and memory justice.

If you are ever in California, chk 'em out....can't hurt.

p.s. Thx for not blasting me for bringing this to our forum.

"...I am by no means wise or special. I'm just like everyone else - trying to get through life leaving a little more than I take." - Tommy Shannon
hide_away

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Riz wrote:

....and from what I've heard he does not go around in his daily life wearing SRV's hat....thank god!!!

Why not? I would.... Shocked Wink Laughing Just kidding.

After I messaged with you yesterday I got to thinking about how many SRV tribute bands there were out in the world....you would be surprised!!!
There's Alan and Crossfire....there's Josh Kirkland & Texas Flood....There's a band called "Rave On" out of Canada....and right here in the Calif. central valley there's a 13 year old kid named Trey Tosh who is supposed to be a dead-on slinger of Stevie-tunes!

here's a pic of Josh Kirkland...

and here's Renny from "Rave On"...

This is also Renny...

personally, I don't know if I would go so far as to get the tattoo. I have tattoos and a friend asked me one time if I would ever consider getting the peacock on my chest...ummm...I don't think so. For some reason I don't think it would be too cool for a chick to have a peacock on her chest. Rolling Eyes lol. Although my popularity at parties might increase. Wink
That tattoo was Stevie's and uniquely original...the way it should stay.

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys make me sick.

Get your own identity. You can play the music, feel it, but you will NEVER be SRV. You will never be anybody but yourself, so why try?
Stratasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO these guys aren't bad as a band but as far as a cover band covering SRV they oughta leave that alone. They "don't" do him justice as far as I'm concerned and in the MP3's I think he butchered the solo in Cold Shot. Onstage he learned Stevies stage moves but can't do em' without apearing stiff (and fat), I think he's uncoordinated Laughing .

A decent band but they shouldn't attempt the SRV stuff....sounded like a club band.

Merry Christmas Very Happy
Tommy
TTrahan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iglesias guy is okay.

That Renny guy is just....grr.

I listened to the clips on his website. He sounds nothing like SRV. Sounds like he just started to play guitar. Just not up to snuff as far as the SRV style is concerned.
wolftrane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Alan & Crossfire for about a year. Being a hardcore SRV fan I was not wanting to go to the show and like him. I was wanting to leave saying he sucked. In fact I was going to photograph the headline act as part of my day job. Crossfire happened to be opening.

But within the first song, he had me liking his performance. The video clips and recordings don't do him justice. The experience of the live show is so powerful and fun that you can't help enjoy it.

Since that first show, I've become freinds with Alan. We live in the same town and he is a life long musician. He's played with many other bands that have come close to hitting it big but like so many great players, he's one that just didn't make it big. So he decided to do the Crossfire tribute out of his love for SRV's music. He is also working on his own solo material which I hope he finishes soon.

Looking at what it takes to do the tribute, he has invested a great deal of money in clothing, guitars, amps effects etc.. He has taken it a step farther than most know. He has recreated set lists from various SRV shows and plays the songs with the same arrangement SRV did back in the day. So he is not simply performing the studio recordings. He is also an avid collector and I have traded with him a few times. He makes no promises that he is trying to become Stevie and he announces that he is trying to perpetuate the music and try and bring the live experience to those who miss it and never experienced it.

Look at the set lists he is capable of performing on his site. This guy has played 4+ hour sets. It takes a lot of dedication to do what he is doing. So it is not as simple as wearing a hat and playing a few well known SRV tunes.

I wouldn't dare say he sucked, especially when he can play circles around me and most musician's I know. And I know and work with most of the musicians that work for all the guitar magazines!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: