Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - SRV sounding pickups

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

SRV sounding pickups
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a hamiltone guitar with kent armstrong texas vintage pickups. they're a slightly over-wound single coil and through a super reverb, they really nail the SRV tone. they're not cheap but they sound amazing. they produce great 'quack' in the neck/middle position. increadibly responsive... check em out

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, everyone on earth recommends different pickups since so many work well...

...but Id say ANY pickup offering by Van Zandt will accomplish your goal. Everyone I've ever recommended Van Zandts to have converted 100%. IMO, there is no better pickups in the world.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
corona11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srv, let me know how like that backplate.

i am getting a prewired bluskaster deluxe pickguard with torres blues pickups and i was wondering if i wanted the lindy frailin backplate on my bridge pickup
corona11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well i thought you were talkin about this
http://www.torresengineering.com/linfralstrat1.html
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Fender pickups compare against Van Zandt's for example? Some of the ones im thinking of are the Texas Specials, Tex Mex, 57/62's, or a vintage noisless pickup...

Hawk
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
How do Fender pickups compare against Van Zandt's for example? Some of the ones im thinking of are the Texas Specials, Tex Mex, 57/62's, or a vintage noisless pickup...

Hawk

personally I think van zandts are in a league of their own. Fender will always sound more "plastic" next to VZs. I know its all opinion, but from what I can tell Van Zandts are BALANCED in every way. This is something I never got from fender pickups. certain strings and notes where louder or harsh vs other strings or notes on the same guitar... there is the same degree of fattness and clarity in every note with VZs.

I promise that any player that replaces their stock fender PUs with Van Zandts will be very pleased with the upgrade.

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude who sells VZs? Do they sell them direct?

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
Dude who sells VZs? Do they sell them direct?

If you do an internet search, you'll probably find a good amount of locations that sell the pickups. THey roughly go for $200 a set.

Van Zandt do not sell directly.

Ted68

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Stevies guitar was amazingly stock. Including the pickups. So going too much hotter is getting away from that sound. I prefer the Torres to the Van Zandt. They are in the same league. But it is a personal preference as Gamedojo said. Torres Engineering sells both.

For Ebay pups from guys who swapped 'em out, the '57/62 Fenders are great and cheap, but the Vintage Noiseless are just about perfect, but require the whole wiring harness to sound right (different pot and cap values). Clapton uses them, so we mere mortals should be happy with 'em.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted68 wrote:

...the Vintage Noiseless are just about perfect, but require the whole wiring harness to sound right (different pot and cap values). Clapton uses them, so we mere mortals should be happy with 'em.

Those are the ones i'm looking at getting, specifically in the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, which comes stock with them. If I was wanting more of a Clapton sound what would I change in the way of Volume and tone pots?

Hawk
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you 100% I use 13s on a strat style guitar and it gives me a much thicker tone. My hand has gotten pretty gnarled from playing big strings but you get used to it. I don't find any drawbacks to playing big strings. It makes you play more accurately, builds strength and stamina, and you can FLY when you play some one else's guitar.

Truetone, we need some pics of your guitars and/or a website.

Cheers!!

-SRV
Ted68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
Ted68 wrote:

...the Vintage Noiseless are just about perfect, but require the whole wiring harness to sound right (different pot and cap values). Clapton uses them, so we mere mortals should be happy with 'em.

Those are the ones i'm looking at getting, specifically in the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, which comes stock with them. If I was wanting more of a Clapton sound what would I change in the way of Volume and tone pots?

Hawk

Sorry Hawk, I just noticed your post. If they are already in a guitar from Fender, just plug the thing in and you're there. If not, you can do three things;

1.) Order from Fender the Vintage Noiseless pots/switch setup, about $?, easiest.

2.) Order the Fender Eric Clapton kit which is battery powered and cost $75.00. With it's active mid-boost, nothing else is going to come near it. If you're willing to spend the extra, it does give alot of tone options.

3.) My suggestion, Find your own tone. Use a good 500K volume pot w/0.5 watt resistor to make it act and sound like a really smooth and even 250K pot. On the tone pots, use good 250K pots and have your local guitar tech, or yourself if you are VERY good at soldering, start trying different value capacitors on them until you find what you like. These cost about $0.50/each. Typically a Strat will have .022 caps and you know how those sound, fairly subtle. If you go down, say .011 you will get even less roll-off. Good if you like the wide open sound and just want to fine tune. If you go up, say .033 (which is what i have), you will get a more agressive treble roll-off. I used a .050 on a friends Tele and it rolls off so much that at "0" he gets a very organ like tone. So try a few, they are cheap, and see what you like. You can also have different values on each pot. I have my Strat wired SRV style, where the middle knob controls the neck p/u only and the last knob the middle/bridge p/u's. There is also the Clapton style, neck/middle p/u's on the middle knob, and bridge p/u only on the last knob. So you can use different caps for each pickup combination. Cost here is about $20.00

If I may suggest a starting point; Use the Clapton wiring style and a .011 on the bridge pot. The Vintage Noiseless have a hot bridge p/u and this will let it show off more. For the neck/mid, start with a .033, this will get some "Woman Tone" easily into the mix on the middle and neck p/u's. This will get you a very good Clapton tone without alot of extra money being spent. Consider it a "Hot" Blackie.

Hope this helps.

Ted
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: