Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - TS 808

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

TS 808
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: TS 808 Reply with quote

I've had an 808 reissue for a while and recently got a True Vintage mod done by analogman.com. They did an amazing job and the sound is increadible but I was wondering if any one knows the exacts settings Stevie had his 808(s) set to. Thanks.

PS. I know it's a crappy post but I just wanted try and get this forum going again. Also, I just wanted to tell the smut peddlers that they are doing a great job, and I'm sure they're getting a lot of business from fucking up this forum.

-Cheers!-

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one way to set an 808 in my opinion, and its close to how stevie set his.

The pedal should only be used to goose an amp, and not have much inherent distortion on its own:

Drive: 10-12 O'clock
Tone: 2-3 O'clock - max
Level: 1 O'clock - Max

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick, thanks man. It sounds pretty good, I might just have to screw around with the settings on my roadhouse. LAter.

-SRV
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may seem like a dumb question but here goes.

How much of stevie's sound was the TS going and how much was just the amp being run so freaking loud, in terms of a distorted sound.

Hawk

PS: How much of a difference is there between a TS-808, or 9 and a BD-2?
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of stevie's sound was the TS going and how much was just the amp being run so freaking loud, in terms of a distorted sound.

Hawk

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of SRV's sound came from driving the shit out of his amps. he used the 808/9 for solos and stuff. He also played really hard and used .013s, the combination of which would make any amp distort a bit more than usual. He used the 808s set pretty clean with the level up to drive the amp more.
The ts808 and ts9 reissues are pretty similiar. They use the same circuit board but the ts9's output section is kind of different. It's brighter than the original 808, not as smooth in my opinion.
The 808 reissues uses the JRC4558D chip and sounds a lot better than the ts9. It's a lot more transparent, so it's not 'coloring' your sound as much as it's enhancing it. The 808 has a better bottom end and an awesome mid range voice. But take the pepsi challenge, try them both out see what you like, cuz that's all it comes down to.

blues

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:

Hawk

Whenever I hear this question I point to El Mocambo. If you listen to the very first tune (Testify), he is playing straight into the amp for the intro rhythm part, then when He hits the main soloing part, he turns the 808 on. You can hear the difference better than any other recording. Its also a good way to proove that i'd say 80% of his drive comes from the amp and the last 20% of sustain and thickness comes from the 808s.

808 pedals are known for their midrange hump because they ONLY boost midrange and highs and leave the lows alone. This is the same way an amp reacts when turned up. Its the reason they are still considered one of the best drive boxes because other companies have tried too hard to make a pedal that boosts lows as well...always falls flat when you use them in a live setting. The BD-2 is kinda like that...too much lows AND highs, makes for a more scooped pedal. I hated it. Ts9s add more bite. Lately i've been curious about trying one because i've run into the problem of having TOO smoooth of a sound live with my 808...

Gamedojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet_emotion16 wrote:
do you use the original 808 or a reissue..? i love my fulldrive for that tubescreamer sound personally.

I use the reissue because there is no reason to spend $450+ on a pedal that is identical to it's reissue. (and this is coming from a guy who has spent $4000 on his strat) its a waist of money to spend any more than the reissue on a tubescreamer.

Fulltone sounds good, but for high volumes, it lets too much bass through.

Gamedojo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a lot of bass in my sound as well when I used Marshall and budda amps. But I learned that bass sounds great when you're right next to the amp and playing alone, but live the sound gets real muddy out in the audience. I let my bass player handle the lowend. Ever since I learned this, our live sound has been much more balanced. Also, none of my clips have me playing a drive pedal into my cranked amps... when I drive my amps with a box, there is plenty of lowend, and adding any more makes things boomy and unrefined.

the "pricey strat" is my '73 orignal strat. its one of those light ultra-resonant ones so the price was high. Sold off all my amps but the super and the twin to get it. (I even sold a matching 1970 superbass + Cab! fun amp!)

I dont treat the guitar like its precious. I beat on it, and it gets nicked here and there. I really dont feel like babying things just because of their $$ value.

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sleep with my guitar...

-SRV
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He started out with a TS-808 and added the evolutions to his rig. ie. Ts-808-> TS-9 -> TS-10 Classic. I was also under the impression that he used his tube screamers to drive his amps more, as a clean boost but he probably at some point used them at their max levels. Still want to see those guitars you make...

-SRV
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the TS-10 is kind of a sleeper pedal...SRV used one at times. I thought it was a little smoother that the TS-9. I agree, the BD is not for SRV sounds..way too scooped. What sounds good at home NEVER sounds good with the band. You need that nasally mid honk to cut through the mosh of frequencies that occurs in a band context. "Gamedojo" pretty much nails it with the settings. Use the TS a boost. The El Mocambo vid during Testify is the perfect example of the TS being kicked in. The first ACL show and Texas Flood shows it too! SRV starts clean and stomps the TS when he starts playing the single note lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: