Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - WHAT WAH TO BUY?????

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

WHAT WAH TO BUY?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
62strat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: WHAT WAH TO BUY????? Reply with quote

I THINK I'M GONNA BUY A WAH TODAY I CAN'T DESIDE BETWWEN VOX OR DUNLOP CRYBABY. IF I GET A VOX IT WILL BE THE CLYDE MCCOY IF I GET A DUNLOP IT WILL PROBABLY BE THECRYBABY CLASSIC WITH THE FASEL INDUCTOR.

BUT I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS...<----KEEP IN MIND I'M NOT A MILLIONAIRE.....
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best wah I have ever found for the money is the Geoffrey Teese Real McCoy 1

Honestly, it will get all of your favorite hendrix and SRV tones and THEN some, and it doesn't cost much more than the Vox Clyde McCoy. Go to Teese's website and read up on his background. Basically he is making modern exact replicas of the vintage Vox wah pedals.

They can be found for about $180 or so online, but I haven't checked in awhile. They might be much cheaper on ebay. For the money it's definately the very BEST hendrix/SRV style wah pedal on the market.

But besides that, the Vox Clyde McCoy is a decent pedal. It won't sound as good as the Teese, or have as good of a range, but it has true bypass and a pretty good sweep. Do NOT get the V-847 reissue Vox Wah unless you plan to have it modded immediately. In general they are very unreliable and break down with medium use. I've gone through 3 in the past.
Fapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the Vox Wah sound.
The CryBaby is classic (Hendrix and Stevie used it), a cheaper could be a Boss (that sounds pretty good too)
62strat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Dunlop HENDRIX Crybaby. I played every wah they had at the shop and other then the TEESE PICTURE, The HENDRIX one had the best sweep and best overall sound so thats what I went with and it is priced nice too so it worked out.......

STEVIE WOULD OF GIVEN THE HENDRIX WAH A SHOT TOO "FOR SURE" SO I FIGURED WHY NOT.

P.S THE VOX CLYDE MCCOY'S AREN'T ALL THAT THEY ARE BUILT UP TO BE......
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffrey Teese makes the best wahs on the planet. I'll take that statement to the grave. I've owned 2, and still have my Picture Wah. I will never get rid of it.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Do NOT get the V-847 reissue Vox Wah unless you plan to have it modded immediately. In general they are very unreliable and break down with medium use. I've gone through 3 in the past.

I think it's a case of each to their own. I LOVE my V-847 reissue and have been using it for about 8 years. I have to give it a tune-up every once in a while, but it's been incredibly reliable.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, my friend, are lucky, because all 3 of the Vox wah's I have owned break down so fast (with medium use..nothing crazy). To each his own..

Yes, the Vox Clyde McCoy's are overrated, but they ARE better than the V-847's.

And yes, the Teese wah's are definately the best on the planet. I have an RMC1 and I think I'm going to buy a Picture Wah also. Definately amazing sound quality with those.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
You, my friend, are lucky, because all 3 of the Vox wah's I have owned break down so fast (with medium use..nothing crazy). To each his own..

Yes, the Vox Clyde McCoy's are overrated, but they ARE better than the V-847's.

And yes, the Teese wah's are definately the best on the planet. I have an RMC1 and I think I'm going to buy a Picture Wah also. Definately amazing sound quality with those.

I don't know anyone else that has one, actually, so I think I did luck out. I use it quite a bit, especially in my funk band days, and I haven't even had to replace the pot. These could be famous last words...
62strat

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone who cares know that I returned the Hendrix Dunlop JH-1 wah. I got the VOX v847 Re-issue instead I figured I would buy the Vox and Mod. It and I actually like the sound it has right now so I can only hope it sounds that much better after I get it moded.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get pedals back from ANALOGMAN? I want to send my tubescreamer to get mods done but I don't want to be without at TS for months on end.

Thanx for allthe help with advice as to what WAH to get. I would of liked to got a TEESE but I 'm a broke dick MOFO without a job right now so whateva.

HOPEFULLY I have better luck with the Vox then VAUGHANABBE.......
UNCLESALTY didn't have any bad luck with his and either did anyone else I talked to so hopefully I won't have any trouble..

Vaughanabbe I think your just to hard on your shit.. YA little STEVIE Equipment beater you.....LOL

P.S Vaughnabe the Vox Clyde McCoy is only $150, the TEESE RMC1 is $185+ at the shops around town.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn around time from Mike is no more than 2 weeks, bro, so don't worry about not having a tubescreamer for a while.

Robert Keeley does some sweet TS mods too, don't forget about him. The Baked Mod is pretty cool, the guy who had the idea for that actually lives in Michigan!

I would have George Blekas mod your Vox Wah. He can be found at www.pedalworx.com
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat, I specifically stated in my other post "(with medium use..nothing crazy)." As in, I did NOT go crazy on the wah pedal. Maybe you should read closer next time.
62strat

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you shouldn't be so defensive.....

I was actually giving you a complement cuz your always saying how much you play like stevie. Plus I'm sure your Med. Use is not the same as my Med. use.

"What is up with everbody needing a tampon all of a sudden."

"Did I piss in somebodys soup or what?"
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean that to be so sarcastic 62..my bad.

But by medium use, I mean normal rocking for one or two songs in my set, with very little weight being put on the pedal (it wasn't like I was standing on it or anything). My point is that if this pedal belonged to any other person it still would have broken.

again, I'm not mad. Lets focus our bad energy toward bluzplaya. Razz
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being overzealous, what actually broke Vaughanabe? Thinking back, I did have a problem with it that a mate of mine fixed. The corrugated attachment to the drive shaft came loose, so my mate put a pin through the shaft. It took a few years to happen but it is inevitable. Was that your problem, too?

Cheers

Salty
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of my wahs it was the switch, but on the other two:

Basically there is a strip of metal going over the axle on the inside of the pedal, anchored down on both sides by a screw. On my first two wahs, the back screw came up out of the base after awhile and bent over to the side, pushing the metal strip into the side of the axle. That created a horrible screeching noise when rocking the pedal back and forth, and somehow it also changed the sweep. I can't get a good "Wah" sound any more. It just sounds like a filter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: