Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Anyone know how to install texas specials in a strat?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Anyone know how to install texas specials in a strat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
62strat

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone know how to install texas specials in a strat? Reply with quote

does anyone know how to apply texas specials to a strat? I have never put pick-ups in before but I'm tired of waiting for the guy that useually does my tech work so I think I'm just gonna do it myself. I ahve a fairly strong electronics background. I used to install car stereos at Circuit City, and I've done quite a bit of other shit to my guitar.

Any help is greatly appriciated......
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's incredibly easy to install pups in your strat.

First, take off your strings (duh) and unscrew every pickguard screw (this is assuming you're starting with your strat being playable). Lift up the whole guard assembly and unscrew the pickups screws for the neck pickup (I find it easier to start at the neck and do them one at a time).

All you will need to do is cut the wires of the old pickups (paying close attention as to which wires connect to which other wires) and use an electronic soldering gun (fairly low wattage...you don't need much power for electronic work as you probably know) and Rosin-core solder to connect the wires. Now let the solder harden for a few minutes and screw the new pickup (with cover already installed) into the slot, and adjust height to taste. Repeat for the middle pickup and the bridge pickup.

Not too hard. I've done it several times. But let me ask, have you already bought the Texas Special pickups? If you're looking for the SRV tone I would highly recommend Van Zandt Rock pickups. Texas Specials have way too much midrange to get that SRV tone and it is a common misconception that Stevie used those pickups. If that's what you're looking for, then just disregard my advice.

Anyway, good luck!
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was having more of a problem figuring out what wire went to what pot and and where each ground wire went. that sort of thing i got the other part figured out no problem.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the VZ Rocks. I've had 'em in my strat for about a year now.

They're still pretty mid rangey, but they are more articulate than the texas specials, better note clarity.

The Rio Grande Tall Boys or Fralin Blues are good pups for that aggressive tone as well. I have the Rio's in my other strat, and have owned the Fralin's as well. They are both great. But the Rio's and VZ's are cheaper, lol.
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the Texas Specials Shit?

I had them in my Mexi Strat and liked them but that was when I first got a strat so changing from the Mexi pups to the Texas Specials was a big change.

The pups that are in the 62 re-issue are just to bright you've heard them Troy what do you think would I be better off with the Texas Specials?
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, if you're looking for the SRV tone, do NOT get Texas Specials.

They're crap compared to the higher end pups. My absolute best recommendation would be to go to www.griblinengineering.com and order a custom wiring harness with Van Zandt Rock pups. BEST TONE EVER!!!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Bottom line, if you're looking for the SRV tone, do NOT get Texas Specials.

They're crap compared to the higher end pups. My absolute best recommendation would be to go to www.griblinengineering.com and order a custom wiring harness with Van Zandt Rock pups. BEST TONE EVER!!!

Is that what you have V-13?
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would recommend VZ's Blues or Rock's. They are excellent for SRV tones...I am running Fralin Blues right now, they are good too..more vintage sounding than the VZ's. I've tried TS's...kinda' muddy..they do sound great with Ash bodies and Twin Reverbs though. IMHO
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, that is indeed what I use on my SRV tribute strat.

I love the tone you get with that harness when you turn the volume knob to about 6 or 7... there is a treble retention circuit on the volume pot that keeps your treble in the sound and you get a great, "clean SRV" tone with plenty of balls. There is also an advanced midrange tone control that is EXTREMELY versatile for a strat, and a woman tone control that can get you trebly biting highs to woman tone crunch (ala Clapton).
62strat

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm just going to leave the '57/'62 pickups in my guitar they come standard in the '62 Re-Issue Strats, so I won't have to do any work of changing anything around. I have been trying to compare and contrast between the Texas Specials that are in my Mexi Strat and the '57/'62 which are alreay in my '62 Re-Issue Strat. I can get a decent growl out of the '57/'62's not as much as the Texas Specials but from what I've read from a few reviews I might be better off just staying where I'm at because a few other people said the same thing about the Texas Specials being "muddy" it's just hard to go by other peoples experience because they don't have my guitar and no two sets of pickups will ever be the same.

Anyone have any experience with the '57/'62 Fender pickups? They have a great clean tone. I'm just not sure what they can do really cranked up like in a live situation. My neighbors shit when my amps at 3 I can only imagine if I was @ 8. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and Damn those things are LOUD!!!
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 57/62 pups that you have will work just fine, they will just more vintage and chimey. It all depends on what tone you are looking for, but they're certainly not bad pickups. However, REAL vintage pickups are the SHIZNIT. The reissuses can't even come close to their sonic quality.
62strat

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going for the 82-84 SRV Tone......
Mont. Festival '82
El Macombo '83
Couldn't Stand The Weather '84

Those are my favorite SRV tones and kinda what I would like to get...
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 57 RI Strat and I love the pups. Great chimey clean tone especially with the maple board. They dirty up nicely but keep that chime. More Jimmie Lee than Stevie Ray, although with FF and wah in front of my Hot Rod Deluxe I can get a pretty good approximation of Hendrix' Voodoo Child (Slight Return) tone. For some players, though, they could be a little thin. I wouldn't change them because I love that clean tone, for funk as much as blues. If I want a fat, distorted tone, I use my Les Paul.

Cheers

Salty
62strat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny Salty, we have the same rig just in small variations I have a '62 Re-Issue Strat with a Hot Rod Deville 4x10...but yeah I want that SRV tone. So you don't think it is gonna get it done with those pick-ups?

for the money I love those amps....
62strat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to use either the'57/'62 or the Texas Specials to try and get that early stevie tone. what pickup would you use?

For an amp I'm using a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and my effects are a Ibanez TS9 and a Vox Wah..

the 4x10's in the amp kinda brighten up a muddy pup a little bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: