Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - ~PLEASE HELP MY SRV PLAYING STYLE OUT~

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

~PLEASE HELP MY SRV PLAYING STYLE OUT~
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Melon Chitlin wrote:
Sharpen your ears and everything else will follow. Few people have perfect pitch, but if you have relative pitch (as most people do) you can train your ears.

If this isn't the answer you were looking for and you still think there's some magic pill you can take that's going to make you play like SRV, try the following: puncture both of your ear drums with ice picks and bash your head against a brick wall repetedly. Very Happy

If you find that one of the above suggestions isn't working, try the other one. Laughing

Dude, chill out. If you bothered to read my original post, you'd see that I did offer an ernest piece of advice. The other part was tongue-in-cheek, and basically saying that if you don't use your ears (the most important equipment you have) you might as well jam ice picks into 'em and bang your head against the wall.

Go to the library and checkout some books on ear training. Two things you'll need are a keyboard and a tape recorder. All the great ones have good ears.
I'm not ridiculing you, I was just blowing off a little steam. In the last 15 years I've seen evey product but breakfast cereal with Stevie's name (or some refference to Texas) attached to it. After a while it does get a bit tedious. For some reason, much of it seems to be marketed to--and consumed by--middle-age white guys and their angst ridden teenage sons, who live in the suburbs. Soulful aint it? Rolling Eyes You need to have a thick skin. If you don't you can expect to be chewed up and spit out.

Keep playin' and don't drop the groove. Wink
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad tendency of many musicians with more than a little experience - myself included - to pontificate. The good thing is that there's usually at least a modicum of value in the opinion, even if it's just to reassure you of your own feelings. Unfortunately, the pontificated to tend to get crapped off and reject everything they're told.

A thick skin is very important when you play music. People have strong opinions about it and if they don't like what you do, they will attack you in the most personal ways. It's sad and childish, but it's what happens. For every person that derides you as an SRV clone, there are at least 10 more that wonder why you play guitar at all. Become a DJ or whatever.

My advice - you knew this was coming - is to have confidence in what you want to do and screw everybody else. If you want to get Stevie's playing down pat, do it. If you want to concentrate on finding a unique new voice, using your homemade psychedelic kazoo, do that too. It really doesn't matter what other people want you to do, or tell you to do. You don't need to fight them. Just smile and wave.

It's fun to talk about though.

Cheers

Salty

PS Nice to see you back BMC.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: