Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Who's The Next Great Bluesman?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Who's The Next Great Bluesman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicIsMyLife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Who's The Next Great Bluesman? Reply with quote

In anyone's opinion, who are the new and upcoming great talents in electric blues mainstream music today? We all know that Stevie and Hendrix were in a place all by themselves - no one ever played electric rock / blues guitar like them and never will. But, who is considered the greatest talent today? Of course, artists like Robert Cray & Buddy Guy are pretty legendary in their own right. You've got Jimmy Thackery & Jonny Lang & Tommy Castro & Derek Trucks & others. But, who will be the next great blues guitarist to emerge, with some comparable technical virtuoso talent (not necessarily style) to a Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Kidblue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great question if you think of anybody I'd love to pick up their CD. I'm fearful that the Blues might fade away soon without someone keeping it going.
Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Blues woman Reply with quote

I'm also curious if people have information about guitar playing blues women? I missed a show by Debbie Davies at my local blues/jazz bar. She seemed interesting. Although she'd probably be compared to Bonnie Raitt, before being compared to SRV. Is she the only one out there doing this kind of music??
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Blues woman Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
I'm also curious if people have information about guitar playing blues women? I missed a show by Debbie Davies at my local blues/jazz bar. She seemed interesting. Although she'd probably be compared to Bonnie Raitt, before being compared to SRV. Is she the only one out there doing this kind of music??

Debbie Davies is really good. I remember seeing her with Albert Collins back in the late 80's. She gave the boss a run for his money. Sue Foley is someone else you hear a bit about, although I'm not that familiar with her. A mate rates her higher than BB King in his pantheon of influences and he's a pretty good player!
Johnny Riz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....Up until the release of his latest CD, I would have said Johnny Lang.

Don't get me wrong, I have every one of his previous CD's...and I just love 'em....

..but his latest just does not do it for me, sounds like he went a completely different direction, as in very "middle of the road" mainstream sounding.

I tried listening to it a couple of times but just could not even get into it...wasn't the same as all his earlier work....

am I missing something...???

"...I am by no means wise or special. I'm just like everyone else - trying to get through life leaving a little more than I take." - Tommy Shannon
Stratasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Riz wrote:
.....Up until the release of his latest CD, I would have said Johnny Lang.

Don't get me wrong, I have every one of his previous CD's...and I just love 'em....

..but his latest just does not do it for me, sounds like he went a completely different direction, as in very "middle of the road" mainstream sounding.

I tried listening to it a couple of times but just could not even get into it...wasn't the same as all his earlier work....

am I missing something...???

The same is true for Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Lee wrote:
I'm also curious if people have information about guitar playing blues women?

How about Susan Tedeschi? Not SRVish but still a blues woman.

Tommy
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about Susan T. Thanks.
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who's The Next Great Bluesman? Reply with quote

MusicIsMyLife wrote:
Who will be the next great blues guitarist to emerge, with some comparable technical virtuoso talent (not necessarily style) to a Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan?
By all indicastions the whole 'guitar hero' phenomenon is dead and has been for quite some time. In other words: Jimi Hendrix has left the building. I wish it were otherwise because it's really hard to find work as a guitarist in this day and age, but that's the way it is. The last mainstream 'guitar stud' that we've seen (who's had any kind of success) is Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He went five years without putting out an album and when he did it was a hardrock album. What does that tell you?

If Doyle Bramhall 2 can't sell his albums, I think it's going to be damn hard for anyone to have any sort of lasting success playing guitar. The only mainstream guitar heros that we have right now are Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen. And both of those cats have been around for a long time. The one cat that I see who really stands out is Robert Randolph and he's doing some really out there stuff guitar-wise. Shocked But....he's also got a really kick ass band and some decent songs to boot. If the only thing he had going for him was his guitar chops, he'd be in someone else's band. Instrumental prowess for it's own sake is a pretty dated concept these days. In addition to that, no one really cares about guitar players anymore and that's putting it lightly. It might come back into fashion it might not. My gut instinct tells me that it won't.
kenny74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Jimmy Thackery play recently, got an autograph and all. Amazing guitar player hands down!
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who's The Next Great Bluesman? Reply with quote

Blind Melon Chitlin wrote:
By all indicastions the whole 'guitar hero' phenomenon is dead and has been for quite some time. In other words: Jimi Hendrix has left the building... The only mainstream guitar heros that we have right now are Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen. And both of those cats have been around for a long time.

I'm guessing that you are referring to "blues guitar heroes" and not guitar playing in general... there are a number of "guitar heroes" still around in the Rock and Metal categories - think Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde. Not my favorite type of music these days, but talented players nonetheless...

As for the next great bluesman... I was thinking it would be Jeff Healy back in the mid-90s, but that didn't happen... It's only a matter of time until someone breaks out and brings the blues back around. They were fading when SRV came into the limelight, and it'll happen again. Who it'll be is anyone's guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: