Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Anyone know how to install texas specials in a strat?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Anyone know how to install texas specials in a strat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah our set-ups are pretty similar. In some ways I find the Deluxe too loud for what I want to do. Even in clubs, I never get to turn up past about 5. Great clean tone. So, so distorted. I really want to move to a two amp set up but the wife has more than a little to say about that...

As for 57/62s or Texas Specials, I really agree with V13. Van Zandts are much closer to the SRV tone. I couldn't recommend the Texas Specials - they're just not very good pups. If you do stick with the 57/62s, I recommend turning your tone knobs back to 7 or 8 and turning off the presence on your amp.

Cheers

Salty
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty,
I'm in the same boat with pickups that you are with your 2nd amp, my girl is ready to kick my ass over guitar equipment already I can just imagine if I told her I wanted to drop almost $300 on a set of pickups and a custom wiring harness. I was working at Guitar Center(worst job ever, thatcompany sucks my ass,BUT I GOT GREAT DEALS) I always had something picked out to buy come payday so I'm sure you can tell I forever had a foot planted in my ass over that, so I figured I would take it easy on spending for a while thats kinda why I was trying to stay with either the Texas Specials or the'57/'62's. Which after I dialed my guitar and amp in how you suggested SOUNDS A TON BETTER!!! thanx for the advice tonemaster...

I'm sure I will at some point buy the Van Zandt Rock PUPs but not for a little while I just bought my '62 a couple months ago, and that came out of the money we had saved for our wedding OUCH WAS SHE PISSED.... OH WELL THAT'S THE BEST WEDDING GIFT I'LL EVER GET.

But yeah thanx for the advice about the settings on the guitar and the Presence. Since you have experience with the HOT ROD amps do you have any suiggestions on settings to try and get that SRV sound?????

Last edited by 62strat on Sat May 14, 2005 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you right now, amp settings do next to nothing to define your core tone... they are just there for tweaking. Your basic tone is what you are looking for, and that can only truly be accoplished with heavy strings, tall frets, and hot pickups... don't forget a guitar finished in nitrocellulose (it makes world of difference between nitro and poly)
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do have the guitar finished in Nitro being that I have a '62 American Vintage Strat, but I was mainly asking Salty for a few tips because we have basically the same amp and the same interest. Kinda trying to compare notes. You can never hear to much feed back and I'm always looking to find something new to try.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62Strat, I'm glad my hints were of some help. It's nice to swap notes with someone with a similar set-up. Most of the guys I know are hard-rockers - Peavey 5150s - or Jazzers - Roland JCs. Do you find the DeVille a bit finnicky? With the HR, I find tone settings I like, jot them down but then the next time I plug in, the tone's gone south. You ever have that trouble?

But I must say, if you're really after the SRV tone, V13 & Troy are your men. They've got it down. I went through a period with high action and heavy strings searching for that tone but gave it away because I just don't have big enough, strong enough hands. The improvement in tone is dramatic between a set of 010s and a set of 12s so with a set of 13s...So I definitely recommend you try it to see if it works for you.

Cheers

Salty
62strat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about the Rio Grande Muy Grande? I have a chance to get a set (3) for $50 are those pickups any good for the style I'm going for in your opinion? I know Rio Grande pups had come up early on in this thread. WHAT DO YA THINK V-13 OR TTrahan...

Yeah Salty I have that same problem with my amp I thought it was just my amp, kinda glad to see its not just mine(that sucks that its happening to your too though). Have you changed your tubes yet?
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man, I have no experience with the Rio Grande pickups. Try the reviews over at http://www.harmonycentral.com and see what they think!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
Yeah Salty I have that same problem with my amp I thought it was just my amp, kinda glad to see its not just mine(that sucks that its happening to your too though). Have you changed your tubes yet?

The only one I've changed is the 12AX7 for the gain channel because it was getting microphonic. I bought a bunch of tubes last month because I have the feeling it's going to crap out in the middle of a gig. Have you experimented at all with different tubes? There's some interesting stuff at this site:http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/. Apologies if you already know about it.
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a pass on the Grandes. If it were a set of Tallboys it would be another story. Basically, the Grandes are way hotter than what you're looking for and they really don't even sound like strat pickups at all. It's not the sound you're looking for. Don't get caught up in all this fancy boutique shit. You don't need it. For what you're doing right now a set of Texas Specials are fine. They're not my first choice, but they're definitely in the right ball park tonewise, and they can be had for a reasonable amount of money--unlike most of the custom made stuff. If you want to upgrade later that's up to you, but in the mean time you should be able to get some pretty happening tones from a set of Texas Specials. True, there are better sounding pickups out there but the difference really isn't that obvious.
62strat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMC: check you Private Messaages.......
62strat

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys this is the latest on my Pickups/new string gauge/guitar drama.

I changed my strings to the 12-56's, raised my action, and moved my pickup height around and messed with my amp settings and tubescreamer settings and after a few days of tinkering I finally have a sound that is close to what I was going for in the beginning....

It made playing a little bit more of an adventure with that raised gauge and raised action, but I'm playing WAY MORE now that I've got a little taste of the tone I want.
62strat

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS, I APPRECITATE IT........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: