Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - What do you think about.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

What do you think about.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
62strat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: What do you think about..... Reply with quote

What do you guys think about the Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 amp?

I own one and it is my main amp, but at home I can only turn it up to like 3 and you can't get a nice tube breka up at that low of a volume. I was going to trade it in today for a Deluxe Reverb, but the shop I was going to trade it at didn't have a DR in stock so I went to Guitar Center to see about the trade and they wouldn't give me enough for my amp. What I was going to do was trade my HRDeville and my SG in on it and try and go even up on the trade but GC wouldn't give me enough for my gear. I also thought about trading my HRDeville for a Blues Jr. that would have been a straight up trade they would give me $400 for my HRDeville and I could of walked with the Blues Jr but I don't know that much about the Blues Jr.

So I'm turning to you my SRV friends for advice what do you think about the HRDeville, Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue, and the Blues Jr?

I don't want to drop any money into the deal cuz I'm pretty broke if I do the deal for the Deluxe Reverb I would give up my HRDeville and one MAYBE two guitars, If I do a Blues Jr I would only give up my amp or I could keep the HRDeville and figure out a way to get a good dirty tone. the HRDeville sounds great clean but there is just NO BREAK-UP.....

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME....FEEL FREE TO GO INTO GREAT DETAIL WITH YOUR REPLYS.........
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about..... Reply with quote

the Hot Rod Deluxe is cool, but the overdrive channel sucks IMO. Its way too loud of an amp to be using for bedroom use. The Blues Jr. is a cool amp though, and I think the deluxe reverb only has one speaker (cant remember) which isint going to help your tone but it would be good for practice use.

Are you looking to eventually gig with the amp you decide to get?
62strat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE THE HOT ROD DEVILLE 4x10 not the Deluxe which is 1x12
I'm not planning on playing gigs in any pace where I couldn't get away with one 12 mic'd. I'm not playing with a band right this second but when I do we usually play smaller clubs. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE DELUXE REVERB but I'm not sure if its worth all I would have to give up....
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
I HAVE THE HOT ROD DEVILLE 4x10

I realize that. But if you want a good fat tone, a 1x12 amp is gonna make it hard no matter what it is. Except for maybe a Fender 75, but those are hard to come by.
Adam H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Hot Rod DeVille 2X12, and it was the worst amp I've ever owned. Guess that teaches me for buying something without playing it first. I've played through some decent 4X10's, but the overdrive channels are pure crap on all Fender amps. If you're looking for a real tube-y sound, go with something lower wattage and that you can crank up to the sweet spot. I have a '68 Gibson Duo-Medalist and a '67 or '68 Gibson Falcon. The Duo-Medalist needs a cap job and speaker, but I've had a cap job done on the Falcon (about 20 watts), a Celestion Greenback put in it and new tubes. I used it on the last gig at a mid-sized room and never had to crank it past four, and it sounded beautiful. Old Gibsons are near copies of same-year Fenders, but usually chock full of orange drop caps and brown carbon comp resistors, wired point to point on terminal strips. Total investment on both amps including the new tubes, speaker and cap job - less than $700. If you ever run across an old Gibson amp from the '60's, buy it - you won't be disappointed. If you can't find something like that, try a Blues Junior. If you're playing small places, 15 watts can really go a long way - but only if you don't need a clean sound.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few suggestions for you:

1. Get a THD Hot Plate. These things are amazing. Basically what it does is overdrives the tubes and allows you to get that dirty tube drive sound at decent volumes. It'll cost you a little bit but they're well worth it.

2. If you only plan on using your amp for bedroom/garage practice levels, your Hod Rod is WAY WAY too big. A Hotrod 4X10 is more suited for an outdoors gig where you can crank it into tube heaven. Personally what I would do is buy a vintage Fender Champ or Princeton Reverb off ebay. The champ is fairly cheap....you can get a silverface for $100 if you really search hard. The problem with the champ is you wouldn't have nearly enough volume for a gigging situation... even the princeton would be a bit too soft.

3. The Fender Deluxe Reverb sounds like a good medium amp for you. I have found this amp to be superb for medium-sized clubs, jams, and practice sessions. It can keep up with a drummer pretty well with some good tube breakup. Another option you may not have considered is a Fender Vibrolux. Those things are sweet and will cover most of your gigging and practicing needs.

Also keep in mind that most fender's have a volume 'cut off' point. This is a point that varies from amp to amp, but after you get to a certain volume, as you turn it up it will not get any LOUDER, just more OVERDRIVEN. I suggest you take your amp somewhere without anyone to bother you can crank it full out. Get a feel for how much volume and how much overdrive it can deliver
I had to learn the hard way that just about every gigging musician needs more than one amp. IMO, you need atleast one good amp for every gig size... practicing, medium club, big club, outdoors, etc. You want an amp that will keep up well, but will not blast peoples' ears when you crank it. The best way to figure this out is go to your guitar shop and try them all out. If they won't let you crank it, then they obviously don't want your money. If you really want to trade in your Hot Rod, that's ok, but if I were you I would rather keep what I have now and ADD to that in the future...instead of trading it all for something else.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
If you really want to trade in your Hot Rod, that's ok, but if I were you I would rather keep what I have now and ADD to that in the future...instead of trading it all for something else.

I must agree with V13 for once. I'd hold on to the Hot Rod and save up for a seperate amp. Because eventually what always ends up happening is you start kicking yourself for the trade you made. I know that if you trade your HRD in for a DR and you start doin club gigs, you are gonna wish you had the Hot Rod (in all it's 4x10 glory) back.
62strat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY BluzPlaya: Remember early in this thread you said something about a Fender 75? I have a chance to get a Fender 75 with a "15 in speaker in it just like the one Chris Duarte used back before they designed his Rivera BM100-115E which is pretty much a RIP-OFF of the Fender 75 anyway.....

How much would you think would be a good deal to offer my friend for the amp? its in decent condition. Considering it was made in 1980 I think it is pretty good condition, it doesn't look like it has ever seen the road but it has been moved from house to house a few times. my buddy bought it used from a guitar shop here in michigan a couple years back and they told him they bought it from the original owner and he took good care of it....

Which one do you think is the better amp the 12 or 15?

Thanx for your help bro
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
HEY BluzPlaya: Remember early in this thread you said something about a Fender 75? I have a chance to get a Fender 75 with a "15 in speaker in it just like the one Chris Duarte used back before they designed his Rivera BM100-115E which is pretty much a RIP-OFF of the Fender 75 anyway.....

How much would you think would be a good deal to offer my friend for the amp? its in decent condition. Considering it was made in 1980 I think it is pretty good condition, it doesn't look like it has ever seen the road but it has been moved from house to house a few times. my buddy bought it used from a guitar shop here in michigan a couple years back and they told him they bought it from the original owner and he took good care of it....

Which one do you think is the better amp the 12 or 15?

Thanx for your help bro

wow you've scored man. I really want the 15'' model but I cant find one for sale anywhere.

I'd offer between $400-$450. Thats usually the going price for one. Do some research though. Thats just usually what i've seen them go for.

I'd have to say that the 15'' model is going to give you a better, thicker tone with more bottom end. But I even asked Chris about the 75 awhile back and he said that he only used the clean channel with a ds-1 anyway, along with a few other amps for the "Texas Sugar Strat Majik" album. He didint like the gain channels.

I'd say go for it. It's supposed to be a great amp. Hey if you get it and dont like it, i'll be happy to buy it off of ya Wink
62strat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my DELUXE REVERB today.....

I LOVE THIS AMP.....
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
I bought my DELUXE REVERB today.....

I LOVE THIS AMP.....

cool man! can u post some sound clips?
62strat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anyway to record. the only thing I ever used was PROTOOLS and that was my old drummers set up but if I can get some clips you can bet your sweet ass I will.

I think I might stil buy that FENDER 75 from my buddy and run them both.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
I don't have anyway to record. the only thing I ever used was PROTOOLS and that was my old drummers set up but if I can get some clips you can bet your sweet ass I will.

that should be a pretty nice setup man. the 75 should be a sweet addition. i wish i could get my hands on one to try.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:

If you don't want it, I do!
62strat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right On, I got to get ahold of him and figure out how much he wants for it. He wasn't sure what he was gonna charge for it when we talked the other day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: