Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Stevies best DVD

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Stevies best DVD

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Stevies best DVD Reply with quote

In your humble opinion, what is SRV's finest DVD on the market?
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you post this on a certain other forum? lol Cool Cause again, I'll have to say El Mocambo is the best by far.
Leroy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did. But this is the SRV forum anyway!

Thanks again!
Soul_Taker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live At The El Mocambo is the best.
DrivingUp85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: DVDs Reply with quote

1. Live At El Mocambo
2. Austin City Limits Retrospective
3. Montreaux DVDs

They all offer something unique and different. They're all worth owning too. What I like about the Montreaux and Austin City Limits DVDs is that you can see earlier performances versus later ones. For some reason, I enjoy watching them both differently.
The Coptic Cross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I think Stevie's most entertaining commercial DVD is the 1989 portion of the Austin City Limits show. He looks and sounds healthy, he appears to be happy (which is very important to me, personally), and his interaction with the audience is nice. Needless to say, the guitar work and the vocals are incredible.

In fact, if you all wanna know just how goofy I am about it, I have burned a personal copy of it for my everyday use here at home, and I keep the original in my safety deposit box. Don't know why, I just did. I guess that show is my proof that from late '86 forward, Stevie was playing his very best. He was released from his cage, and was free to do nothing but play the blues.

God I miss him every day.

~STS~
Rob S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello....long time Stevie fan....first time poster Very Happy

After a considerable amount of thought I would have to say that my fave DVD is the one that came with the boxset, featuring the previously unreleased ACL stuff. Although it only has five songs on the thing it has quite the most amazing sound on the climax of Voodoo Chile....that bit alone is worth the cost of the entire box...the addition of watching him swap guitars mid song....and a great rendition of a song I'm not that keen on (MHALL).

I hope that if there is another live DVD released in the future it will be from this era.
The Coptic Cross

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob S wrote:
it has quite the most amazing sound on the climax of Voodoo Chile.

Agreed! I have ripped the audio from that DVD, as well as from the ACL DVD that came out first, and I just can't get the audio to match, sound-wise. I can come close with my Creative Wave Studio software, but it's not perfect. The reason is the sonics on the box set DVD are vastly improved over the original DVD. I definitely kicks ass.

Rob S wrote:
I hope that if there is another live DVD released in the future it will be from this era.

Agreed. I recently got my hands on the raw footage from American Caravan in '85, and I gotta tell ya, Stevie seems very, very detached. Knowing what we know now, there's clearly writing on the wall in big ol' print.

The beauty (to me) of the post-recovery material is how clean (no pun intended) and sharp Stevie plays. His technical proficiency and his vocals just got better and better as his post-recovery years progressed.
Rob S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the difference in sound and volume between the two ACL 'halves' is a pain...especially if, like me, you want to try and construct the original concert and join the intro of CSTW to the song itself.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: