Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Do you play?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Do you play?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deezer wrote:
Duarte's really good, finally saw him live earlier this month in Tulsa. I own all his cds as I do Joe's. I think Joe can sing better though.

yeah i agree Joe's a better singer. Cant touch Chris's guitar intensity though.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, I don't think there's a guitar player out right now that can touch Joe. He can play anything and do it well. Album to album they have all been awesome.

Each of Joe's studio albums, A New Day Yesterday, So It's Like That, Blues Deluxe and Had To Cry Today all charted in the Top 10 on Billboard's Best Blues Album Chart. So It's Like That went to #1 on the Charts. Not many young Blues guys or young Guitar Players can say that.

I'm going to the Guitar Workshop in Chicago in a few weeks and Joe's Hosting a workshop, I can't wait.

Redhouse
Deezer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Joe has a bit more variety, at least recorded anyway. That's just me though. I still like Chris a lot, and listen to his stuff frequently.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
I disagree, I don't think there's a guitar player out right now that can touch Joe. He can play anything and do it well. Album to album they have all been awesome.

Redhouse

thats on records. I spent a week studying under Chris about a year ago when he came out here to Hawaii to do a show with me, and trust me, Joe cant touch his technical skill. I saw him sit a foot from me and play "Giant Steps" note for note on my ovation acoustic to a metronome set at 130 BPM. Thats just rediculous.

I've seen both live in their element a few times, and vocally chris cant compare to joe, but he could tear him a new one on the guitar.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's compare apples to apples, you pick the best song off Romp. Then will take a song from Joe in the same key and well see who has the technical skill. Also let's look at Slide and Acoustic playing and their bag of tricks.
Deezer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Chris live, and I've seen the two concert dvds that Joe has put out. As far as overall knowledge and putting it to use, Joe Bonamassa has that over Chris. Slide, open and standard tunings, Delta Blues, Texas Blues, Chicago Blues, British Blues, country chicken pickin', jazz musings, even classical in some parts, not to mention that he seems to play with such ease and speed, but he it's not a constant speed contest all the time with him. It's rare to see someone play with the speed that he can and have it not turn into a Steve Vai or John Petrucci type thing. Anytime anyone doubts his ability I just play Faux Martini off of Had To Cry Today.

If Chris knows how to do all that, all I've seen and heard used is Texas blues with jazz and funk thrown in, which I ain't putting down, it's a great combination, and it's head-scratching that he never became more famous. He has a lot of passion, and he puts everything he's got into his playing. That being said, I'm not a big fan of guitar-cutting contests, who would beat who in a play-off, so to speak. If the music's good, it's good, if a guitar player's good, he/she is good. I just dig Joe's a little bit more.

That being said, when I saw Chris live, I asked him what he thought of Joe (I'd always wanted to know his opinion on things like this). He said he loves Joe, thinks he's a great player who is on the right track. And when I got that Chris Duarte & Bluestone dvd (from when he was in Japan), the music before they started playing? Joe's cover of You Upset Me Baby. So he does dig Joe, and that's great to hear.

And for the record, I would love to see some type of collaboration between Chris and Joe. Would be great to hear.
Russell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its that art vs. technique thing again!

Who's better?

Who cares?

Why is Stevie our common ground?

Bluz made me buy a Chris Duarte CD (Tailspin) and its quite good - I'm not sure about better than Joe - they're both good.

When I listen to all these new guys I really miss SRV.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
Let's compare apples to apples, you pick the best song off Romp. Then will take a song from Joe in the same key and well see who has the technical skill. Also let's look at Slide and Acoustic playing and their bag of tricks.

ok i pick "Like Eric"

if I ever see Joe play "Giant Steps" like I saw Chris play it, then i'll agree with you on the acoustic playing. I dont think i've ever seen Chris play slide. Sometimes players dont like playing slide. I dont like to play slide.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
Its that art vs. technique thing again!

Who's better?

Who cares?

Why is Stevie our common ground?

Bluz made me buy a Chris Duarte CD (Tailspin) and its quite good - I'm not sure about better than Joe - they're both good.

When I listen to all these new guys I really miss SRV.

Tailspin wasn't the best record he put out. I'd recommend "Texas Sugar" personally...more in the blues vibe on that one.
Deezer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Faux Martini is a really great acoustic instrumental of Joe's. He just goes to town on it. But 101 is actually my favorite instrumental period.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok i pick "Like Eric"

if I ever see Joe play "Giant Steps" like I saw Chris play it, then i'll agree with you on the acoustic playing. I dont think i've ever seen Chris play slide. Sometimes players dont like playing slide. I dont like to play slide.

That's an awesome song, that and 101 are my favorite tracks of that CD.
Like Eric, it's a easy song to play with, it's in the key of G, he's tuned down a 1/2 step. It's the same chord progression as Cliffs of Dover. I'm a Eric Johnson fan and this is a nice try at playing like Eric, but, it's the same to me as KWS trying to play SRV. While it may sound cool, it's kinda lame.

Off hand, I would put, A new day yesterday live, from A.N.D.Y. up against Like Eric. I'll check what key it's in, I think A not G.

As far as Guitar Technique I would Joe's awesome slide playing put's him one up on Chris. Watch, Live at the Rockpalast, Blues Deluxe, the intro has Joe doing his volume swell technique.

I like both of them Joe and Chris, but I'm sorry IMHO Joe is leaps and bounds a better Guitar Player and all around musician.

Redhouse
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
Quote:
ok i pick "Like Eric"

That's an awesome song, that and 101 are my favorite tracks of that CD.
Like Eric, it's a easy song to play with, it's in the key of G, he's tuned down a 1/2 step. It's the same chord progression as Cliffs of Dover. I'm a Eric Johnson fan and this is a nice try at playing like Eric, but, it's the same to me as KWS trying to play SRV. While it may sound cool, it's kinda lame.

Off hand, I would put, A new day yesterday live, from A.N.D.Y. up against Like Eric. I'll check what key it's in, I think A not G.

As far as Guitar Technique I would Joe's awesome slide playing put's him one up on Chris. Watch, Live at the Rockpalast, Blues Deluxe, the intro has Joe doing his volume swell technique.

I like both of them Joe and Chris, but I'm sorry IMHO Joe is leaps and bounds a better Guitar Player and all around musician.

Redhouse

you aren't seeing the whole picture. "Like Eric" is a nod to Eric Johnson...not Chris trying to play or sound exactly like him. I've been onstage with Chris and played this song with him and trust me, keepin up wasin't the easiest thing in the world.

The volume swell technique is so easy that i've taught people how to do it in a matter of days. Even Joe says thats the easiest thing he does. and again, Chris doesn't play slide (doesnt mean he cant, he just chooses not to) so you cant really count that as a technique Joe has over him.

Chris has been playing since before Joe was born. Saying he's a better musician is just hands wrong IMO.

Oh and "Like Eric" isn't the exact same chord progression as "Cliffs Of Dover". You might wanna try again on that one.
Deezer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it isn't wrong to say that Joe Bonamassa is my favorite musician. Cool

And Like Eric is actually to me too rough sounding in tone to be a complete copy of Eric Johnson. Eric was always cleaner and smoother than that sounds. But that's all right, it just sounds like Chris Duarte tipping the proverbial hat.

I just think that Joe's voice along with his guitar playing and songwriting just put him over the top as far as I'm concerned. But Chris is still amazing. Not putting him down at all. As a matter of fact, pretty much all I've been listening to is Chris and Joe.

And on the volume swell technique, yeah, it's easy, but on his Live At Rockaplast dvd, what he's playing is what impressed me more than the fact he was doing the volume swell. It was some classical thing, really cool sounding, then launching into Blues Deluxe.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chris has been playing since before Joe was born. Saying he's a better musician is just hands wrong IMO.

What does age have to do with anything? Chris has been around longer, that doesn't make him a better player. Look at SRV and the Blues fathers.

Quote:
you aren't seeing the whole picture. "Like Eric" is a nod to Eric Johnson...not Chris trying to play or sound exactly like him. I've been onstage with Chris and played this song with him and trust me, keepin up wasin't the easiest thing in the world.

I'm sure it wasn't, it's about 160 bpm.

Last night I went to the Joe Bonamassa CD release party for you and me. Joe played for 2 hours. 1/2 way through he started playing this acoustic thing that he just went off on. It's was over 200 bpm. He was playing so fast, yet it was so clean and just flowed, I never seen anything like it. He did a song Tea for one off the new CD, it's an all out guitar jam that just takes your head off.

Joe's 29 years old and IMHO a Guitar God already, his albums do great and this new album by far is the best one. It's going to do awesome and set the bar for what a Blues/Rock album should be.

As for the chords, is in the key of G it's the same chord progression as lot's of other songs. They are very much alike. The only difference Eric makes use of all the positions on the neck.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...regardless, i'm always going to be a devoted Chris Duarte fan. He taught me alot when he was here and made me a better player 1000 times over. I'll never forget what he showed me and I hope to pass along that same knowladge to someone else one day.

I like Joe, just dont think he's at the same level...but that doesn't mean the level he's on isn't a very high one. He's a good player.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: