Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - what other artists songs do you cover?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

what other artists songs do you cover?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: what other artists songs do you cover? Reply with quote

besides Stevie Ray, do you guys cover any other artists tunes? if so, who and what?

I do ALOT of Stevie Wonder tunes. here's a short list:

Ribbon In The Sky
Lately
I Wish/Superstition/Living For The City medley
Sir Duke
My Cherie Amour
Uptight
Part Time Lover
Overjoyed
Isint She Lovely... with some others.

I also do a version of Billie Jean that is always fun, as well as a couple of Maroon 5 covers (Harder To Breathe and She Will Be Loved) and of course some Hendrix stuff.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

Our band covered all kind of people.

Tommy Castro, Ian Moore, BB, Freddie, Albert (x2), Jimi, The Stones, Dylan, blah blah..
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:

eh thats not one of my fave Stevie W. songs. Everyone covers that song. I enjoy the challenging ones.

What Ian M. tunes do you cover?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
TTrahan wrote:

eh thats not one of my fave Stevie W. songs. Everyone covers that song. I enjoy the challenging ones.

What Ian M. tunes do you cover?

I didn't know people cover that song alot. Not too many bands around here, so I'm not sure what the live scene is like! I would like to cover that song though, I think it rocks!

We did (3 piece) Satisfy, Society, and Blue Sky by Ian Moore. I would've liked to have done more, but oh well. We also covered his versions of No Woman No Cry, Champagne and Reefer, and Me and My Guitar.

Of course, I sound nothing like him, and he is light years ahead of me in every aspect of music. But I figured if we could sound 1/3 like him and his band, than we would be just fine.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
We did (3 piece) Satisfy, Society, and Blue Sky by Ian Moore. I would've liked to have done more, but oh well. We also covered his versions of No Woman No Cry, Champagne and Reefer, and Me and My Guitar.

Of course, I sound nothing like him, and he is light years ahead of me in every aspect of music. But I figured if we could sound 1/3 like him and his band, than we would be just fine.

wow i figured his tunes would be hard to do with no keyboard. Bukka Allen was a big part of his band's sound. I always liked doin Satisfied. I have been wantin to record Blue Sky on an album, but i dont know if i ever will or not. For fun i used to do Train Tracks. Good song to start a gig with.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP,

The tunes aren't hard to play with out a keyboard (skill wise, which I'm sure you know), but they do sound VERY empty. The only one that really is worth doing is Satisfy, to tell you the truth. People can relate to the words, and it is the easiest to "fill up" out of the one's that I mentioned.

Having a keyboard player would rule, but unfortunately, there's none around!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
BP,

The tunes aren't hard to play with out a keyboard (skill wise, which I'm sure you know), but they do sound VERY empty. The only one that really is worth doing is Satisfy, to tell you the truth. People can relate to the words, and it is the easiest to "fill up" out of the one's that I mentioned.

Having a keyboard player would rule, but unfortunately, there's none around!

i listened to your clips on the website below. pretty good man. keep it up. you guys got any originals? i'd love to hear some on there. You've got a good STEVIE-ish tone goin. For me personally, i'd like to hear more of what YOU have got to say on those tunes. You did the original solos nicely though.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP,

I've written a few tunes, but never played them with the band.

I am actually band-less right now. My ex-bass player was short on time so we had to call it quits for a while Sad

I appreciate the nice comments! I have a long way to go, but I've taken a few steps in the right direction Wink
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool man just keep on growing and practicing. and always play your ass off...thats the best advice i've ever got from anyone.

on a side note, I went to a MLB baseball game last night here in Oakland (where the A's spanked Tampa Bay) but they announced all the players of the A's to none other than Stevie's Scuttle Buttin. Thought that was cool.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: