Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Good SRV covers.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Good SRV covers.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk5211

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Good SRV covers..... Reply with quote

Any of you guys know of any bands doing really exceptional SRV covers??

Ive heard that los lonely boys do some good ones. And I know of a band called the maverick blues band that does a good rendition of srv's little wing.

Cheers

Hawk
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eric Tessmer Band from Austin Texas, this kid can play SRV like nobody I have seen in years. You have to hear the "last night at joes" live album.

www.erictessmerband.com

Indigenous, Mato does some great SRV covers once in a while.
Los Lonely Boys, "Blue Cat Blues" album has some great SRV covers.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to start any fires here, but just for the sake of argument and observation why are we prasing artists for playing someone elses stuff....or even trying to sound like someone else? granted when stevie started his goal was to play like Albert King...but even he knew by the end of his life he needed to have his own sound. Isnt that what music is all about? growing and taking the sounds you love and making it into something new?

I know eric from living in austin and he's a great guy (never got to jam with him but would love to sometime)...but musically there is nothing original there. thats why these days artists like that, as much as i respect what they do, will never make it to a national or international recognition level.

Joe Bonamassa for instance is making alot of noise because he came up with his own style that came from listening and mimicking players like stevie and jimi...but in the form of real radio friendly, commercial sounding SONGS. its not about impressing yourself with some 10 minute guitar solo over a 12-bar blues progression in C minor.

this is all just my opinion...but does anyone agree?
Redhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk did ask for good SRV covers. Very Happy

I agree, that's what seperates great guitar players from everyone else. Look at, BB King, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and a long list of other guys, Joe Bonamassa. Each of these guys have a sound all their own. You hear a few licks from Buddy Guy and you know it's him a mile away and he's only playing what he learned from other guys, it's how he plays it.

If you want to make it, take what you learned from other guys and then do your own thing!
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: John mayer Reply with quote

I like john mayer when he dose srv covers,herd his single that had lenny on it,and read about him doing a few srv numbers when played with buddy guy and double trouble in 2003 i think it was,and he dose them in his concerts a bit too 1 or more maybe.Like read in downbeat magazine he did aint gone'n'give up on love at a concert,not many have done that live that ive herd of besides srv cover bands.
Cool
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you bluz, but with srv, jimi, albert king, since they are all gone, it is nice to hear someone take their great music and put their own spin on it and still retain the magic of the original. I think thats what covering songs is all about.....

Mayer playing leave my girl alone with buddy guy and DT was actually pretty good, personally tho im not a huge fan of mayers solo stuff. Might need to listen to more of it tho....

Anybody ever heard the Eric Johnson song SRV, his stevie tribute song? I think its pretty good, at least the live version i have off an old G3. Can't really pick out stevie in it, but it still sounds nice.

Hawk
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk5211 wrote:
I hear you bluz, but with srv, jimi, albert king, since they are all gone, it is nice to hear someone take their great music and put their own spin on it and still retain the magic of the original. I think thats what covering songs is all about.....

Mayer playing leave my girl alone with buddy guy and DT was actually pretty good, personally tho im not a huge fan of mayers solo stuff. Might need to listen to more of it tho....

Anybody ever heard the Eric Johnson song SRV, his stevie tribute song? I think its pretty good, at least the live version i have off an old G3. Can't really pick out stevie in it, but it still sounds nice.

Hawk

i agree...its cool to hear someone take their music and put their OWN spin on it...but with alot of the so-called "young guns" out there...it seems to me like they are more focused on making the same faces and havin their guitars look old and beat up...the same as Stevie's rather than trying to put some kind of unique twist on the song to make it a little different.

John Mayer is great because he has his own style of playing. His tone is his own, his phrasing is a mixture of different players (even though he continues to claim SRV as his biggest influence...but also praises Robben Ford as bein up there too) and his look is his own.

Eric Jonhson's "SRV" is a very cool song...i dont think he was tryin to play in his style on that song but i think it was more of how Stevie's music made him feel more than anything.
Deezer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those versions on the Tribute To SRV concert were really great. Buddy doing Long Way From Home, Clapton doing Ain't Gone 'N' Give Up On Love, Dr. John doing Cold Shot. Other than them, anytime I hear a band do a cover, I cringe a little bit. Because they're always trying to do it exactly like Stevie, the lone exception being John Mayer doing Lenny.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deezer wrote:
Those versions on the Tribute To SRV concert were really great. Buddy doing Long Way From Home, Clapton doing Ain't Gone 'N' Give Up On Love, Dr. John doing Cold Shot. Other than them, anytime I hear a band do a cover, I cringe a little bit. Because they're always trying to do it exactly like Stevie, the lone exception being John Mayer doing Lenny.

AMEN!
Christopher X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: John mayer Reply with quote

His early albums are more pop,its the last one a live one called try which is where he wanted more blues rock etc.. and guitar play,he does a version too of jimi hendrix's wait until tomorrow,and his new album continium is coming out this year he dose hendrix'x bold as love,my favourite hendrix track on it too,and had being doing it live lately like he did on the tsunami benefit show,here a link with some info on the album etc.. Cool

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060717/nym164.html?.v=56

Last edited by Christopher X on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deezer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about where I thought he was going to head. Good for him.
Lenny86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hungarian SRV...

www.tamaskatonajr.hu

downloads:
one concert by him in 2004 http://stevie-ray-vaughan.hu/html/letoltes.php
powerbill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is funny... I pretty much agree with everyone... I do think the blues is a little different though because, if you think about... almost everyone started out trying to play like the 3 Kings (BB, Fredie, and Albert). I remember a lot of the criticism of Stevie early on was that he ripped too many of the greats off as far as his riffs and licks, but we all know that that is a bunch of BS. I think you should play and listen to whatever turns you on... a lot of my friends say that I have a closed mind to music because all I listen to are guitar players (Jimi, SRV, Trower, Robben Ford, Danny Gatton), but That's what I like... I just can't get into anything else. I've also never really tried to write my own stuff... whenever I pick up my guitar I always play some sort of blues progression and center my tone and playing around SRV. I can't help it... I know I have my own sound, but that is only because I can't play like any of those guys, but if I could, I probably would. Just like Duke Ellington said... If it sounds good, it is good.

Peace

PB
hawk5211

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny86 wrote:
The Hungarian SRV...

www.tamaskatonajr.hu

downloads:
one concert by him in 2004 http://stevie-ray-vaughan.hu/html/letoltes.php

Yup the guy can sure play.....

Hawk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: