Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - The Colorsound Overdriver?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

The Colorsound Overdriver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lidesnowi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: The Colorsound Overdriver? Reply with quote

Hi Scott ,Just a simple question .
I would just like to know what you think about the Colorsound Overdriver?

Personally, I think it's one of the best and most musical clean booster/preamp ever made ,if used as a clean booster/preamp (very dynamic and warm) though not very good as an overdrive/distortion/Fuzz pedal “the circuit doesn't clip that exactly nicely , work best if it's modified with master volume .
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the original and it didn't work for me. Now they're selling on Reverb for about $1200. Many distortion and overdrive pedals have a great EQ as long as the tone knob on the guitar is all the way up. I never do that - the tone control on my bridge pickup isn't ever above 5. Some pedals hate that and get very woofy sounding, and notes on the G & D string lose their "voice". I've never tried a vintage distortion pedal that works for me, except for the Analog Man Sun Face fuzz, which is a clone of the original Fuzz Face - it sounds great no matter where my tone knob is.
lidesnowi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yeah! the Analog man Sun Face is the greatest Fuzz ever!
I have a Analogman Sun Face with Newmarket white dot (low gain) NKT 275 transistors, which transistors do you have in yours?
Have you used your Sun Face on any of your albums?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a germanium NKT 275 too, but I don't see any dots on it - I've heard people call them red dot, white dot - I don't know what that means.

I've used it quite a bit on my albums but it's hard to remember on which tunes. On my new album Karnevel! which comes out on February 2, the solo on track #4 is the Sun Face. It's a funk tune, so it doesn't seem like that would be a song to use a fuzz on, but that's the pedal I thought sounded the best for the solo. It's my favorite fuzz, but I also like the ChaseTone fuzz and the ZVex Fuzz Factory.
lidesnowi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Mine is a germanium NKT 275 too, but I don't see any dots on it - I've heard people call them red dot, white dot - I don't know what that means.

I've used it quite a bit on my albums but it's hard to remember on which tunes. On my new album Karnevel! which comes out on February 2, the solo on track #4 is the Sun Face. It's a funk tune, so it doesn't seem like that would be a song to use a fuzz on, but that's the pedal I thought sounded the best for the solo. It's my favorite fuzz, but I also like the ChaseTone fuzz and the ZVex Fuzz Factory.

Red Dot NKT275 transistors are higher gain while the White Dot NKT275 have lower gain and thus clean up more when turning down the guitar volume pot
i mostly use mine with the guitar volume pot around 6 or 7 for a warm crispy organic clean tone .
Thanasis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the fuzz sound on The Covered Head solo and also the way it gets angrier towards the end. Also on Festival of Ghosts that weird fuzz sound which I guess is the Fuzz Factory?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal on The Covered Head is a Trombetta Robotone - one of my favorites! The harder you pick, the more it freaks out, and on the neck pickup it can get pretty close to the sound of a trombone. It's part of my "horn section" on one of the new album tunes.

The solo on Festival of Ghosts is the Fuzz Factory - amazing pedal!
Thanasis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, looking forward to the album and seeing you play live!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: