Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Some serious personal news
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Some serious personal news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Some serious personal news Reply with quote

For the past year or so, my wife's dad has been losing his battle with cancer, finally giving up last Tuesday.

We had a really nice funeral on Friday, and no sooner was that over, and my wife went into labor with my 2nd child, a baby boy (originally due on May 2nd).......she had some starts and stops throughout the day on Saturday, finally giving birth to him at 3:55 am on Sunday morning....

Within 4 hours, the Dr. broke the news to us that he suspects Down's syndrome, and had at least 4 others to confirm his visual cues.....

We are getting the official genetic test Monday and we will know for sure by Wednesday.

It has completely devastated us, and right now, we are pretty hopeless....

I know that it can be a really rewarding experience, in the long run, but it is so far outside what we had expected, given that the myriad of ultrasounds, revealed nothing of the sort.

I and my wife, usually pretty faithful....are shaken to our core, and are pretty broken.....

I morn, not for us, not for how we will be affected, but how his life will now be limited, and how it will affect my unbelievable daughter and her path.

I guess there's no coincidence that at the age of 2 and a half, she is in love with science and DNA, can say deoxyribonulceicacid.

Maybe this will drive her to discover a cure for that which afflicted her brother.

Meanwhile, I've stopped in at home to post this, drink a glass or 2 of wine, and maybe forget for an hour or two.

Anyway, this most certainly means the next C.D. will be on indefinite hold, as the financial aspects of all this will take over.

I'm delerious, running on 2 hours sleep since Saturday morning at 3 am, so I'll run for now.

God help us....

Peace,

Scott
flying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Man I am so sorry to read this.
Being a father of 3 I really feel for you. I am sure losing your father in law was enough of a strain on both you & your wife. Now you have even more on your plate.

I am hoping the doctor is wrong. Believe me I have found them to be wrong more times than right in my own life.

Hopefully the genetics test on Monday will bring good news to you .
I do not know your doctor but visual cues especially right after a birth that was a bit prolonged can be way off. Babies do a lot of stretching & contorting in those longer labors & perhaps it is just a visual misconception by the doctor.

In any case...........
Stay positive & strong for your wife & for your new born son. Hope for the best !

Mike
DoctorHee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the jury is still out at the time that I write this, so we can hope for the best news.

You have a lot of friends on TGP who would appreciate a chance to be supportive, but I don't feel right about bringing it up there myself. If you get a chance, perhaps you could consider a post there just to bring your friends up to date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: