Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - "Improvising Without Scales" now available!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

"Improvising Without Scales" now available!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthewalrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: "Improvising Without Scales" now available! Reply with quote

Carl Verheyen's latest instructional book (with CD) was released through Mel Bay Publishing March 21st. Check it out:

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=20816BCD&mode=hotlist&next=99990

Cheers
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it differs from Eddie Harris' "The Intervallistic Concept". Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it appears you can't just buy the book from the site, you have to jump through a number of hoops to find someone selling it. Maybe I'll just wait until it hits amazon.
fusion58

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered my copy from Carl's website.

http://www.carlverheyen.com/
DoctorHee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear what you think after you get a look at it.
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorHee wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what you think after you get a look at it.

"Improvising Without Scales" is an excellent book. If you're already a Verheyen fan, and if you're looking for more insight into Carl's approach to linear improv, then you won't be disappointed with this book. The musical examples in the book basically pick up where the examples in Carl's instructional video "Intervallic Rock" left off.

If you're looking to develop an approach to improvising single note lines that eschews predictable, stepwise scalar/arpeggio motion and which facilitates lines with more interesting melodic contours, then you'll find dozens of useful examples in this book.

For what it's worth, I've gotten more out of Carl's instructional materials, workshops, and clinics over the years than I've gotten from any other source (G.I.T. and all former teachers included.)

For my money, Carl is simply the baddest guitar player on the planet.
I have never heard another player whose mastery of so many diverse styles is as complete and as deep as Carl's - from blues to rock to jazz to fusion to nylon string classical to red-hot Nashville picking to you-fill-in-the-blank.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: