Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - What are you guys practicing right now?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

What are you guys practicing right now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: What are you guys practicing right now? Reply with quote

What are you working on?

Just curious? Question
russ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...using quartal voicings as shapes to generate single-note lines...
cash_man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyrhythm and superimposition (Check out Liebman´s book: Chromatic Approach to Jazz Harmony and Melody) A never ending study....

Rolling Eyes
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally found a jazz band that hosts an open jam every Wed. in my town. I've been sitting in with them. I'm really trying to just learn songs right now and how to comp and solo through them without sounding too terrible on the gig. lol As far as practice at home outside of learning the tunes this group plays, I've been working on some Liebman concepts like the chromaticism book and studying his phrasing and timing. Another thing that I've been trying to get together is learning and applying different chord voicings in the tunes I play. Always trying to see ahead of the changes when soloing/comping and always always listening like a madman.

John R.
russ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Liebman book as well. It's definitely the best book I have. Anyone tackling any of those '100 chromatic lines'? lol

BTW - Clovis - the new mp3s on your site sound great!
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Russ

Thanks for listening! I think the more I jam with this band each week, the better I'll get. I tend to think too much about what I play and when you're playing out, you have just not think and just go. I think playing with other musicians is probably the best practice you'll ever have.

A word to the wise..I sat in last night with a band of jazz professors at a local college in my town. I asked if I could play Stella...they said, "What tempo do you want John?". I said it didn't matter....Well, needless to say, they proceeded with the FASTEST version of Stella I've ever played. Thank god I wasn't trying to read it off a chart and had the changes memorized....Whew!! So, if someone ever asks..."What tempo?"...NEVER say..."It doens't matter". HAHAHAHAHAHa

John
Frantic_Rock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys this is my first post.

I am a big fan of Tribal Tech, and I heard about this post from the Seymour Duncan forum.

Heh. Thats real funny.
Stella is the first jazz tune i learned out of a guitar techniques magazine by Shawn Baxter. I can BARELY drag through it at the slowest pace imaginable. I'm a great fan of Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrell, but often have little discipline to study this music. It is VERY nice to find a forum where people discuss chord substitutions and all that stuff Smile I feel like Lisa Simpson - This is for you Bleedin' Gums Smile
ELDENI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russ wrote:
I have the Liebman book as well. It's definitely the best book I have. Anyone tackling any of those '100 chromatic lines'? lol

BTW - Clovis - the new mp3s on your site sound great!

That's one of the best books I've gotten too. I've been trying those weird exercises at the end of the book over chords like Cm7/F#7#13/B/G7 and all of those weird stuff, liebman rules
namida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks. After years of not being with a band, I finally got into this newly formed classic rock type band. I am working on getting my sound while in a standing postion Very Happy It may sound ridiculous but its quite frustrating really. So far I have made some improvements by shortening my guitar strap.

But seriously, I am all for phrasing right now. Trying to get the hang of modes and how to make it sound like how i want it to sound. This forum is exciting and I am looking forward to learning more things Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: