Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - John Scofield Trio LIVE EnRoute
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

John Scofield Trio LIVE EnRoute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clovis

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: John Scofield Trio LIVE EnRoute Reply with quote

I just got scofield's new trio live "Enroute" CD today. This thing is SICK. Straight ahead jazz with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart. The songs are all originals, but some are based on standard structures. There's a rhythm changes tune, a straight jazz blues, a minor blues and another written off the changes to a popular standard. Sco is on fire on this....The band's interaction is insane.....

I wonder if Scott likes Sco....someone once told me that he borrowed his pentatonic substitution ideas straight from sco....

John R.
bertsprs

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interview somewhere on the web were Scott talks about his early influences. He says that even though he and Sco are about the same age, due to his late start in jazz (relative to Sco), Sco's playing on one of Bill Cobhams albums was a big influence on him.

I've been transcribing an early Sco solo on Softly As In A Morning Sunrise from his album Live and i can hear were i think Scott derived alot of his pentatonic and outside phrases. Of course, Scott disguises the influence pretty well with his unique sense of phrasing.

Bert
vladorg

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Guitar World magazine from the 80's with a huge feature on Scott.It was during the time when he was still playing with The Zawinul Syndicate.Anyways,they interview Scott right before he has to play a show with The syndicate and he mentions that he's nervous 'cuz Sco is gonna be in the audience and he(Sco) is a monster player.So maybe in the questions for Scott section we should ask him about Sco.

Vlad
wintomato

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was at a masterclass in london with john scofield. he's an interesting guy, wouldn't be drawn on the finer points of improvisation.
glad to hear he's bought out another jazz album, i'll get it.
anyone seen the Four Play live video, where there are tunes from 3 different set ups. some incredible moments on there.
clovis

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool would it be to get Sco and Henderson together for a CD or tour? They are my two favorite jazz/fusion guitar players. They are always SOOoo in the pocket and swing so damn hard.

For those who don't already know...Scofield did an instructional WAY back in the day called "John Scofield - On Improvisation". It's by far, next to Henderson's vids, the most informative video instrucational I have. Just watching/listening to Sco noodle through the modes as he explains them is a great source for some nice sequences and licks. The Jazz-Funk instructionals he did after that are fun to watch, but the instructional side of it didn't do much for me. I wish Henderson would do another instructional....maybe this time about fusion songwriting....
John R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: