Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Class A amps
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Class A amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarusi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Class A amps Reply with quote

Hi Scott, good to meet you in Manchester. Just noticed your comments re Class A amps and have always avoided Class A amp 'sound'. Any amp I used with an A>A/B control always ended to the A/B end, but i recently got a VHT Special 6 Ultra head which sounds unlike any Class A amp I've tried. Much more 'rocky' and hooligan sounding. It has a simple power scaling which seems to assist in sounding more A/B-like. The full schematic is included with the d/l pdf manual and it seems like a very modded Champ:-

http://www.vhtamp.com/manuals/VHT-Special6-Ultra-Manual.pdf

I tried some other VHT amps, and they had a very 'Wayne Krantz' type sound, which I liked, but I couldn't dial it out. I was expecting the Ultra to be similar but it was tonally more versatile. It has a lot of gain from a single 12AX7 and 6V6.

I'm now thinking typical Class A sound is more to the amp designer's intent and Class A/B typical sound is more down to asymmetrical distortion than A vs A/B (if the A is designed for more asymmetry).

Obviously A/B is more suitable and efficient for that sound at gig levels but for recording there's probably some asymmetrical Class A designs which will compete with twin-triode A/B or 2xeEL84/2x6V6 A/B o/p designs for similar tones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: