Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - tunes where I suck
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

tunes where I suck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: tunes where I suck Reply with quote

Hey Scott
It is funny to ask one of my favorite players this but:
Do you have any types of grooves that you like the sound of but you don't feel you sound good on?
For me every time I play on a fast bebop groove
I feel like I just learned to play guitar.
You don't have this problem with fast bebop. But do you avoid any grooves?

Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a very big problem with fast anything. I hate fast tempos - the faster the tempo, the worst my note choices will be. When I play fast, I'm likely to repeat myself enough to make me throw up - I'm a creative player, but the least creative when playing fast. I can't think of one famous jazz guitarist who has less chops than I do. Maybe Bill Frisell - he doesn't seem to care about chops and that's probably why he's such an incredibly creative and musical player.

Triplets are also a weak point for me - if I'm playing a tempo that's too slow for 8th notes and too fast for 16ths, I try to play triplets and usually fail miserably.

I'm practicing more on triplets and fast tempos, so hopefully things will improve.
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
I think that your fast tempo playing on Manic Carpet and Dew Wut is some of the most grooving, compelling fast playing that I have heard on guitar. I really love your time feel on those tracks in particular. You are obviously very humble about your playing, but you have some serious chops. Really serious chops. The fact that you can play great notes with dynamics and tone at fast tempos is an incredible combination.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott
It is inspiring that you are always working to get even better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: