Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Jaco Pastorius documentary
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jaco Pastorius documentary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Jaco Pastorius documentary Reply with quote

Hey Scott, I was wondering if you have seen (or are interested in seeing) the documentary about Jaco that Robert Trujillo helped put together. If you have, I was wondering what you think about it. I was reduced to tears on several occasions watching and listening to the music he made (and helped make) while considering the last years of his life and what might have been. Also, I was wondering if you have any personal recollections about him since you were born around the the same time in SE Florida and you both played with Joe Zawinul. Thank you, Dave Zahn
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet but of course I want to - I'm a huge fan. Unfortunately I never met the real Jaco, though I got to hear him play a few times and he was killing. I met him after he'd left Weather Report, and he was in bad shape. Even though I felt terrible about what was happening to him, he did some really funny shit...

I was playing in a cover band in Florida - Jaco walked in with a stack of Weather Report records which he'd just stolen from the record store next door. He was handing them out to everyone while the record store people were trying (and failing) to get them back.

When I played at the Pier in NY with Chick, Jaco tried to climb on stage - I guess he was gonna try to take John's bass and start playing, but security got him off stage before anything happened. After the gig, he fell asleep in the green room, under the food table. His bare feet were sticking out, totally black from living on the street, and all the musicians from LA were saying "call an ambulance, Jaco's passed out", but all the guys from NY were just stepping around him like it was no big deal. What a weird night.

I have other stories but they're more depressing than funny. Like Hendrix, imagine all the great music that could've happened if things didn't go wrong. Jaco and Zawinul were the two most important jazz innovators of this century in my opinion.
dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Scott. It's too bad that you didn't meet when you were younger. I think Jaco would have liked your version of Continuum on Tore Down House. I think it really encompasses many of the elements found throughout his body of work. It is weird to think that he was not able to get more of the help he needed. But I guess if someone does not want help it is difficult to force them into a place where they can be treated. I hope you have a great 2016.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: