Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Too many gittars in Wroclaw
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Too many gittars in Wroclaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rudmer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Too many gittars in Wroclaw Reply with quote

Yesterday I was at the Guitar Guinness World Record in Wrocław...

There I could not help to think about the song Too Many Gittars of the Dog Party album.

Maybe next year they could play that song instead of Hey Joe Very Happy

PS Thanks for the concert afterward, it was very nice!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, sorry about that - I need to apologize for my terrible performance. I was on stage just minutes before I played, and the amp they chose for me to play through was broken - turns out it was a bad speaker cable. By the time it was fixed, they were already starting and I had no chance to dial in my tone, and then I broke a string in the middle of my solo. I should've just stopped playing but I kept doing fills down a half step, trying to bend the notes up to pitch - unsuccessfully... totally embarrassing.

So I'm sure people will be pissed off at me as usual when I take it off YouTube. Of course, anytime I have a horrible stage experience, it's always posted there first thing in the morning, and on the rare occasion that I play a good solo, the guy who recorded it was standing in front of my amp with his iPhone so it's just fucked up sounding guitar with no drums or bass. I fucking hate YouTube.
Rudmer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking part in the World Record. There were so many guitars around me, that I could not even hear the music from the stage during most of the Hey Joe song. I also could not hear your solo, but from what I hear from you now, maybe that was for the best.

Anyway, this brings me to a question. What do you do when you break a string during a (normal) concert?

I guess your Suhr guitar has the same thing as a Fender strat...when you break a string, all the other strings are detuned because of that.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Suhr is set up like a strat - if you break a string, it's over. When I play in town I have a backup guitar, but if I break a string on the road I have to just end the tune somehow. I change strings before each gig, but we only played for an hour the night before the Hendrix festival so I thought everything would be OK - guess not!
Hawx

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered how guys like you and Jeff Beck manage to avoid string breakage, of course I realized it just comes down to proper setup and regular string changes. How often do you change strings depending on the day? Teaching, Rehearsal, Gig etc? I tend to only change before every gig but I'd change everyday if I could afford it...

Also I'm wondering what you find to be the most efficient way to stretch strings?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change strings before every gig and recording session, but otherwise they're on the guitar until they break.

It takes me a little time to stretch strings because I've found it's better to do it for longer, but gently. No sex joke intended. If you pull them too hard, there's more of a chance they'll break on stage.

There's a very sharp edge where the string comes out of the bridge plate - that's usually where my strings break, so I take my guitar to Suhr before a tour and make sure that all the edges on the bridge are smoothed out with a dremel.
Hawx

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, really helpful info.

I heard that SRV's tech used to run wire insulation over the string where it comes up through that trem hole to stop it breaking, I'll have to smooth it out next fret job.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Yes, the Suhr is set up like a strat - if you break a string, it's over.

I once broke a string during a big theater show while doing some hardrock cover with lots of guitar and drums. Stop playing was not an option so i tried keeping in tune with the whammy bar, but that was just bad and worse. Afterwards i went to our soundguy and asked him how bad it was. I didn't think much of this guys work in the first place but then he answered "How bad was what?"... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: