Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tone on Thick
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tone on Thick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paskiainen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Tone on Thick Reply with quote

Hi Scott!

Just wondering is it completely insane to think that your tone on Thick was probably best there ever has been? To me it was the perfect mixture of your old and new sound with best elements of both. Your playing and phrasing on that record is also otherwordly.

by the way, Beck would probably do anything to sound that good.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is probably not the person I would say bad things about Jeff Beck to. Jeff is Jeff, Scott is Scott.
paskiainen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Thomas wrote:
Scott is probably not the person I would say bad things about Jeff Beck to. Jeff is Jeff, Scott is Scott.

Just my personal opinion that Scott >>>>>> Jeff. No offense. Both are of course marvelous.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference between Thick and the tone I have now is that Thick is humbucking pickups with amp distortion - now I use single coils with pedals. I like both, but for live gigs what I'm doing now gives me a bigger and more versatile sound. I still have a great sounding SSH Suhr and the same high gain OD-100 I used on Thick - I'll record that tone again.

About Jeff Beck, I'm more of a jazz improvisor than he is, so there are things I can do that he can't, and MEGA vice-versa. I don't think it's bad to compare musicians - it's human nature to notice differences between them, as long as it doesn't turn into a competition. Everyone has something individual to offer and it's nice to be appreciated without people saying we're better or worse than someone else. Jeff is one of the true masters of phrasing and tone, and he's always been one of my favorite players.
paskiainen

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great lesson from Scott: Music is not a competition, but a party to where everyone's invited (except rappers of course..)

I'm surprised those were humbuckers on thick since it many times sounds very "single coilishly". Fabulous tone anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: