Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Question about interfaces and loadbox
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Question about interfaces and loadbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason3000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Question about interfaces and loadbox Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Love your playing for years. You're truly inspiring. Just saw your newest video and I have a question regarding home recording with IR's.

On your newest video I see that you're recording with the apogee interface. Have you compared this to the UAD apollo or any other interfaces on the market?

Also, I'm curious if you've ever compared the two notes studio hardware unit to the Suhr Load box when using it with plugins. What's cool about the two notes studio is it runs at 96Khz and you can use all the IR's direct in there and not in your DAW.

Just wanted to hear your professional thoughts.

Jason
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the UAD or other interfaces - at that level, they're all very high quality. I have compared the load in the Two Notes Torpedo to the Suhr load box, and the Suhr is definitely better, but I haven't tried any other Two Notes hardware.

I like using the Wall Of Sound plug-in because it can play IR's from other companies like Ownhammer, who in my opinion offers a much wider selection than Two Notes. I like the Fried25 IR from Two Notes, but I like about 20 from Ownhammer - their Blackback and Greenback collections are awesome.

Also, it's really easy to try different IR's after you've recorded something when the player is a plug-in. That would be harder to do if you have to go out of the computer into hardware to change IR's.
jason3000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott! Assuming you meant the Two notes torpedo Live (44) and not the torpedo studio (96).

Just curious, do you like to use the simple ownhammer 57 IR's (I guess there's multiple positions) or do you like to use the mixes (they sound fuller, but not necessarily better)?

I've been trying to figure out which ownhammer IR's sound the best and most useful, it's pretty overwhelming the amount of options they give.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Torpedo Live - I forgot there was another one.

About the IR's, I have to say that I've never actually used one professionally - I'm old school and use real cabinets. I mess around with IR's just to help my friends who can't record loud. I've discovered the same thing as you - so many choices, and not many good ones, in my opinion.

The only Two Notes IR I like is the Fried25 with a 57, and from Ownhammer, I only like the Greenbacks and Blackbacks with a 57, and I like one or two mixes with a 57 and ribbon. The other speakers and mics are useless to me, except for getting a completely foreign sound for the purpose of layering.

One thing I've noticed about Ownhammer is that every time he puts out a new product, he manages to make it sound even more realistic. I'm going to buy his newest release.

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=383
jason3000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Scott! Yes, I totally agree his newer IR's really seem to get more and more realistic!! 2016 is an amazing time for home recording Smile

One last quick question...do you think mixing fender type amps (hot rod deluxe, vibrolux, deluxe reverb, etc) with the 4x12 greenbacks or blackbacks would be a good match? For some reason, I have it in my mind only to match them with the fender type IR's. But maybe I'm missing out on a whole world of amazing tone Smile...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried those type of IR's with my Marshall, but I'm sure a good Fender would sound great with them too. It might not be the traditional type of tone you're used to hearing from a Fender, but there are plenty of IR's out there sampled from Fender cabinets.

I don't own any Fender type speakers, so I use my Bandmaster and Suhr Bella through my 4x12 with Greenbacks all the time. Sounds great to me! Lots of that on Vibe Station.
jason3000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!! Will check them out for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: